Go back in time

Show more

Mac



Aug. 6, 2018 | Bobby Carter -- There was a shift in Mac Miller's boisterous demeanor as he started the third of his three-song Tiny Desk set. It's the first time he's performed tracks from his new album, Swimming, in front of an audience. On "2009," he rubbed his chin with clinched eyes, looking like a young man who's beginning to crack the code. Backed by a piano loop and a string quartet, he reflected on his journey's peaks and valleys thus far.

Mac Miller is one of my fav artists. I used to listen to him when I went to Pittsburgh. I was introduced to him by a little friend who taught much more than some appreciation for hip hop and rap. He is the blackest white boy I've ever known. But even if you don't usually listen to Jazzy Hip-Hop, or cool Rap, I think this Tiny Desk concert will give you a good idea of what these artists have to offer.

Too often we paint ourselves in a corner (I'm looking at you, Steven!) and decide we don't like something, when what we have done is simply refusing to listen. I will post here sometime about how I got to like Mac Miller and I how I discover that my dislike for Eminem was only due to his freakish resemblance to an ex.

So go ahead, listen to this little sample of Mac's genius. The way he threads lyrics and music. How he sings behind the beat. His cute bravado. He's gone now. One more artist lost to (allegedly) a drug overdose. Such a loss. So enjoy! Enjoy the wordplay and the storytelling.
You're welcome.

XOXO

P.S. Mac dated pop star Ariana Grande and did some cute videos with her:



Comments

  1. Smooth jazz meets hip hop. An interesting mix. I think that this is something that I could get into. I think that my coworker might be a little surprised if I put this on at work. To me the radio is background noise. But she listens to the lyrics. He seems very playful in between songs. Thanks for highlighting Mac. Oh and strings 🎻 on the last song! Wow!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of him. Sort of reminds me of Enimen. Hope you had a fun pride weeekend. Some guy ran off with my new pride undies from Saturdays post. I guess he wanted a memento.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I do? Yo bro why you go'n off on me that dat! Lol! Not my thing but I can respect that because they are using real instruments and not something that sounds like a squeaky dog chew toy. My problem with house music was they used to take a great dance song, remove the beat and make it boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of him. But, Ariana Grande has a voice. Plus she does wonderful impressions of other female singers. A real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. There are very few male jazz vocalists... we need more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bae: yes! it's a cool style. I know you like Macklemore, so... ^_^
    @Maddie: he kind of flew under the radar, which makes him much more interesting in my book. And Pride was super fun! I read yours was too! LOL it's not the first time a man rans away with your undies, no?
    @Steven: LMAO a squeaky dog chew toy is my fav insult of the day. And you know I heart you, Steve-o.
    @Jimmy: she does! And when she did the voices on Fallon I fell off my chair. Her Britney is priceless!
    @Dave: I know, right? And there's a lot of male singers that could fill that void. They just don't do it. They don't find it commercial enough.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.