Go back in time

Show more

A Child of House




I love house music. I think that it stands in the EDM crowded field as kind of the fairy godfather of fun nights.

Funny how time flies. It's been a year since I went to see the new place the Frankie Knuckles  mural was going to have. I know House music is not really everybody's cup of tea (it shouldn't be, of course) but I really enjoy it. I appreciate its queer origins and the fact that brown and black queer people basically gave birth to it as a genre.

The escape that music  provides for queer people in big (and small) cities does not go unnoticed in some circles. Take this documentary about Shaun Wright and how the intersectionality of gender expression, sexuality, art and race collide.

House music provides a space for queer youth of color to express themselves in a safe space. And that is something that I can always appreciate. And after you watch what Shaun has to say, go ahead and click on that video below that will tell you more about House music and where it came from.

XOXO



SUBTERRANEANS N°2
A Child Of House follows Shaun J. Wright as he takes us through his roots in vogueing/ballroom culture and house music.

DIRECTED BY: SERGE GARCIA 
http://instagram.com/serge_town/

SHAUN J. WRIGHT 
http://instagram.com/shaunjwright/
https://soundcloud.com/shaunjwright

Set in the world of underground club culture, SUBTERRANEANS shares stories in dance music's queer underground. 

Comments

  1. As you know, for the most part music to me is background noise (except for that period a certain someone was making 8tracks for me😍). But the beats of house music can be intoxicating. I’m by no means a dancer, but the tracks that come out of house music can get my foot tapping. That’s about all the movement I’m comfortable with. 😜

    But get a polka going, you’d better watch out!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each generation identifies with something...for me
    It will always be abba

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with John ...except for that whole ABBA thing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you posted this, the vox doc was really interesting, I say funny that you posted because I was cleaning out some boxes and found a disco's greatest hits record from back in the seventies. I remember not liking many songs but now I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. disco, 80s-90s dance music are my go-tos. but I also like classical and big band music. BUT NO ABBA. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABBA HATERS!!!!

    And yes my dear sexy sixpense....I LOVE house. Maybe we will dance to house one day in fire island together.

    I'm going to the beach now. Luv you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rock... yeah, from Mushroomhead to the Smithereens to Blink 182. But also some country, there's nothing like a good baritone twanging away on a sultry melody line to twist me around his finger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @bae: you know that polka is my second fav genre!
    @john: abba is iconic!
    @bob: uh-oh. They’re gonna make you return the toaster you got when you signed the gay membership! LoL
    @steven: House is Disco’s stepchild. Disco was also born in the black and brown and queer dance spaces.
    @annemarie: right with you, girl. Big band is so much fun! LoL at the no abba disclaimer.
    @maddie: yasss Queen! Would love love love to shake it with cha! Have fun!
    @dave: well, yeah, but what makes you shake that booty, Dave? Line dancing can be pretty hot if it’s done by burly men in tight jeans...

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.