Go back in time

Show more

Whimsy


I'm not really whimsical. I'm a little bit practical and a little bit rock and roll, so whimsy is not really my style. Nevertheless, I do have my moments. Sometimes the call of whimsy is so strong we cannot avoid the  temptation of adding a little bit of a flight of fancy to our surroundings. That's why I had to stop and gawk at this place. This apartment is soooo fantastic that I had to blog about it. Because of course I had to. 

And it's not only the idea of living with art, but also the story behind how this couple got their place. I think even the most stylish/'common' of abodes have a great story behind them. Because they are all made from what we are. Take Simon's and Jonathan's: their apartment had been part of their destiny. Jonathan tells the story of visiting the apartment when he was very young and loving it.  Then realizing, years later, after meeting Simon in a blind date, that Simon had just bought that same apartment. How's that for coincidences?

I love the apartment. I love the colors and the textures, and the inclusion of art as an everyday occurrence. But what's more fun to watch is their interaction. I imagine that after years of living with someone this is something that comes naturally (Jonathan at one point calls Simon 'Slymon'. I died). Their house reflects their interests. Jonathan is a well known interior decorator and artist and Simon mentions that one room in their house is some sort of creative space for Jonathan and that it's always changing. And why not? As Simon says: if you'd live with a hairdresser, would you do your own hair?

I think that's part of making our living spaces unique: we are constantly moving things around and making the space, well, ours. Our spaces may not be like theirs they even bought the apartment next door and converted it into a fantastic library (that wallpaper in the ceiling!!) and their bedroom. Their bedroom by the way, is fantastic. It's not a matter of 'would I like it' but 'how can I get that space?'.  This is New York, mind you. So this apartment is everything but cheap. 

One of the things I love about people talking about their places (and that I try to do when I let you into MY space) is the stories that come with all the things with which we surround ourselves. It's fascinating, I think, listening to someone talk about the things they have and their stories. Also, that giant hand-chair in the dining room? Do want. Badly. 

XOXO

Comments

  1. This is a fantastic space, and definitely not for the working class. It’s great to take a peek into the lifestyles of the rich and famous. They’ve done an amazing job and they’re interactions are so sweet.

    But my first thought: my god all that stuff has to be cleaned! But obviously not by them.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's expensive.
      But yes, it's very nice to see how money can bring some pretty nice perks. And they're adorable together.
      Oh, bae. You KNOW that whomever has a duplex in NY can afford twice a week cleaners.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I.Love.This.
    And I love "Johnny and Slimon."
    I know that I couldn't live with all that whimsy, but I can live with some, and they've given me great ideas, or eye-deas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Eye-deas, huh? That bedroom is something. And I love the theme of eyes. Very Dali.
      And yes! Witty and fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Like you, I am too practical to live in such a fashion, though I do admire those that can and do. I think my years in theatre gave me an idea of how to stage a space... but more and more I find that less and less is preferred. In fact, woke this morning and am considering getting rid of more stuff. And I mean.. out... get out of my space. Let me see the floor. And I want to rehang all the art I do have on the walls, as I was rather lazy and used whatever nail happened to be there . I also need to rework my work space, as I think it has caused me to pull a number of muscles in my shoulders. I look down way too much. Anyhoo... this is fun. And now that we're all forced to live with ourselves due to isolation (thanks, covid) it's appropriate that we start reassessing and messing with our personal spaces. Great post, as always. Have a lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      Just because I could not deal with the heartbreak of fucking up a very expensive piece of art, doesn't mean I can appreciate the beauty of their place. That library is to die for. And I agree with you: less is better. It lets your place breathe.
      And I've discovered that a review of the placement of furniture and artwork every so many years is super refreshing and fun. I'm going to change my sofa's slipcover for the winter.
      Like you said, I've discovered I really like my space, and during this pandemic, that's crucial.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Sorry, hate it. Too much clutter. It reminds me of something designed b y a drunken six year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it wasn't me girl.

      Delete
    2. LMAOOOO @ Maddie!
      And it's not as much the clutter to me (it's very spacious) it's that I'd be terrified I'd fuck up some very expensive artwork. Can you imagine?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. A little bit of whimsy is needed in our lives. For instance, we have a High Heel chair...in red and black. And right next to it is a leg lamp table.... There is artwork all over the house. And in the back yard, there are tiny sculptures to discover among the shrubbery...even a Tigger, Eyore, and Pooh...across the other side of the pool is Coco Swims the Channel (she's so ugly, she's cute.). We need whimsy to remind us that we can be childlike once in a while. Adulting can be quite strenuous., dom't you think? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, really, Big?
      I have a friend that has that lamp that's a leg in a stocking? Fun.
      I love the idea of having tiny sculptures in the garden! Idea for my Spring project, for sure.
      Whimsy is cool. It lets us breathe.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. decluttering my place is gonna be a bitch! spouse is a pack rat, I am a minimalist. 95% of the shit in my house could go, but spouse would throw a fit if I tried getting rid of "his" stuff. so I wait...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll come help you and bring ABBA ....time will fly, youll see!

      Delete
    2. Sign me in!
      I love decluttering. And you know, I've lived with people who like their stuff. It's not easy, but after you carve your own space, it kinda works.
      ABBA was the clincher, btw.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Well, I can appreciate what they did, the space is great...but a little too much camp and whimsy. I think the place screams more Jonathan then Simon. I like myself a few touches of whimsy. When people come they always love the ceramic deer head in the bedroom, or the birdhouses, or the feathers or some of my odd little trinkets sitting about. But too much can be too much. On a side note I have had the pleasure of meeting Simon twice when we toured Barney's . Visual people always stick together. He is so warm and friendly I think and always loved how he dressed. And Jonathan has a store here in Philly. I love it! I have one or two pieces from it and always took clients there when they wanted a touch of whimsy for their home. I often love his color palette he uses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I thought the same.
      It's all Simon. You can see Jonathan's style is much more like what he did with the cupboard. And I'd love to have one of those white ceramic deer heads!! You read my mind.
      And I'm jelly you've met Simon (but of course, you'd move around in the same circles). Jonathan has a great eye. His textiles are fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. In my opinion....Barneys was never the same after he left . and it's like David Howdy at Bergdorf Goodman. When he retires or leaves......Bergdorfs will feel that for sure.

      Delete
    3. His window displays were EPIC. Mini-worlds in themselves. I love men with a sense of style who are truly unique individuals. And oh, Bergdorf. I hope it can weather Covid-19.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I look forward in seeing your space.....
    It tells a lot about a person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you got to check it out!
      Remember, it's under 'I'll show you mine'...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Love Their home!
    Home is an expression of one's self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more, Xersex. I could not agree more.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.