Go back in time

Show more

Legendary



If you’re not familiar with Ballroom culture, I’m here to help you with that. Yes, we’ve got Pose. Yes, you may have watched Paris is Burning. But Vogue is the expression of black and brown bodies in an environment where being a minority within a minority within a minority is not a handicap. Gay MOC find many challenges that other demographics do not face: they suffer racism from society at large and homophobia within and without the community they belong to. It's a no-win situation.

So the Ballroom scene provides a haven for men who have been thrown out of their homes for being homosexual, for men whose gender expression collides with their skin color and makes them the focus of discrimination even within the LGBTQ community. I think it's sad that so many gay men pander to the notion that there is ONE way to be gay: outwardly masculine and white.

The way these safe spaces allow for creativity, growth and entertainment is something that cannot be easily discarded. Apart from providing refuge to many LGBTQ kids, the Balls promote a sense of community and purpose for a demographic that would otherwise be shunned even by some of their peers. I wish I had more time to patronize the scene or help create some awareness towards this art form that many gay men do not even recognize as entertaining. So I wrote this post.

And that was Philly. If you want a taste of the NY Ballroom scene, then watch this next video I found online. Cause I’m always thinking about cha. You’re welcome.



XOXO

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It's super entertaining. I really like it.
      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I just love the artistry of it all.The talent is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? These are people without formal training in dancing. Nevertheless, the sense of rhythm and movement are so precise! And don't get me started with the attires. Fabulous.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. The amount of time and materials that goes into these displays is astounding. This is something that deserves to be celebrated. Thanks babe.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine? And these kids are not particularly well off. The ingenuity and talent are outstanding.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. How interesting, I have never heard about this before, when you said Ballroom I thought you meant the dance competitions. I hope that this doesn't get hijacked by white culture trying to appear cool. There is nothing more embarrassing about gay culture than racism within (gacism).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha of course. It's easily mistaken. Still a competition.
      Oh, it was hijacked awhile ago: Vogue, remember? But it has thankfully kept providing kids of color a haven when needed. It's also a way to channel all that talent, that could be wasted without a channel and a venue to explore it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to a Ball, nor have I heard of any Balls going on in
    SoFlo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fantastic, Jimmy. Fantastic.
      And you should explore and see if there are any. I'm sure the children would find a way to get together and dance the house down in SoFlo.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I had no idea until I watched POSE, and mentioned to a friend. He had all kinds of stories to tell me about the Balls. He used to attend every now and then, never participated, though he could've. Being a graduate of the Fashion Institute, he could have lent a hand in dressing some of them.

    The issue with prejudice is prevalent everywhere, but within its own community it is REALLY senseless.

    Off to the doctor to get the stitches removed. Oh, yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prejudice within any community is a waste of time and self-destructive. As if there are not enough outside forces trying to destroy us.
      And I bet your friend has STORIES! Funny he never helped them with the costumes. They would spark anybody's creativity (not to mention that they usually launch many a streetwear trend).
      Good luck with the stitches!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Thank you! The stitches slipped right out. I'm (almost) a new man! xoxo

      Delete
    3. Yay!
      Great to read that!

      XoXo

      Delete
  7. I've been know to cut a runway or two myself doll. NOW WALK....DALHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, HUNN-NY! Is that on video? Because we need to watch it.
      Category is... STUNNING!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Creative, glamorous and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The talent, Debra. The TALENT!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I liked the idea of birth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, a rebirth, for many of them. Some of their lives do a 180 when they enter one of the houses.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.