Go back in time

Show more

Tribe



The idea of finding our tribe is not a new one. Actually, many of us have done it since childhood. But the notion sometimes gets lost in the drone shuffle of everyday life. It came back to me when MerlinPurpura shared an end of year post that included this bit:

The idea of "the right tribe" also appears in another book I told you about, The 100 Year Life, by Gratton and Scott, with a less poetic but equally blunt term. They call it the regenerative friendships, those opposed to the toxic ones, which fill one with inspiration and tranquility. Obesity, cigarettes and even happiness, they say, are contagious. That is why they remind us that, to take care of our health and vitality, we must take care of those relationships that make us better people.

And he cannot be more right. I have known Merlin for years. We go way back. And we have often talked about how we have stopped talking for awhile (once, for years!), but when we catch up we do so without a glitch. It's like we have last talked the day before. And I think that's what I feel when I blog. I came back to blogger after some time away from it. I decided to come back and start writing long posts instead of micro-blogging again because I consider it part of my self-care. The fact that I have been lucky enough to find a tribe here, a tribe of like-minded individuals that share my penchant for things ranging from the profane to the sacred, has been an added bonus to the idea of writing as solipsism.

The people I read here in blogger (and in wordpress, natch) are quirky, smart, funny, deep, sexy and interesting humans. Just a look at my blog roll or at my comments and you will see why we click. The comments we leave on each other's blogs are snippets of a long, uncensored conversation we keep going post after post. I think that those comments build up a kind of online friendship network that sometimes connects us to other people in ways we sometimes don't even connect IRL.

Could it be that because we are online we undress our souls in a more radical way? Could it be that we find ways through these posts to communicate in ways we didn't know were possible? Could it be that the questions we put out in the universe somehow find an answer? Could it be that we feel confident that our tribe will not judge or be biased?



I don't know. I have no idea why is it that we do it. What I do know is that the result are these relationships we forge with people online that end up giving us that sense of community that sometimes we forget we need. Maybe because we are social animals. And because we do need others. That's why I imagine I keep posting here, because apart from cleaning my head from cobwebs, I have found a tribe. A tribe that makes me feel good. A tribe that 'gets' me. And that's a cool feeling.

So thanks for being here (even the ones that lurk! Yeah, you know who you are) and thanks for reading. Thanks for taking some minutes out of your life to drop by and connect. I will try and do the same. Because even though we may not do it to live one hundred years (a la Garcia-Marquez) we can do it for self-care. And we all know there's nothing more important than that.



XOXO

P.S.  let’s keep cultivating our regenerative friendship. Yep.

Comments

  1. That’s so true. We need to surround ourselves with those who care for us. While we need that buffer, it’s also healthy to seek our authoritative opposing points of view. Note I said authoritative. Just because someone says it’s true, doesn’t make it so.

    I love what you post. That little window into the soul. And you’ve lead me to some others that I also enjoy reading. I even throw out some inane comments from time to time. Who am I to offer advise? I’m usually more screwed up than most of the population.

    But thanks for being there. You help more than you know.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww bae. And I love that you read me! It's true. We do need to surround ourselves with those who care for and about us.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. all of the above and more! my online friends "get me" more than the str8 world does. and I can be myself online without having tom pretend. those bloggers who have met me in person say I am the same IRL as on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And 'getting us' is invaluable. I totally believe that the online AnneMarie is exactly like IRL AnneMarie. BTW, I'd LOVE to have coffee/tea/whatever with you and cackle while tearing IMPOTUS apart.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, X! BTW I love that you post delicious eye candy. Love me some naked men....

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Great post/I've never understood the need for some people to have these negative folks in their lives. If they don't bring you something good, something positive, something loving kind smart funny sexy hopeful tranquil edgy boundary shaking, why allow them in?

    This is a great journey, don't bring me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't understand how people can stand Negative Nancys all over their lives and timelines. I don't. But hey, it's their lives, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I agree! Reading blogs is always a bright spot in my day, just moseying around, seeing what everyone is up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG totally. Totally. I always put aside some time during the day to check my bloggers. I get a cackle, a thinking moment or an eyeful. Favorite spectator sport.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I run with a group of old musicians. I refer to them as 'The Gargoyles' (lovingly of course). Which lets you know that I was a band nerd. Still am!

    The last quote about "tiptoe" hits home as I just unfriended on FB one of my oldest friends from high school for deleting a reply for mentioning kush.

    Your posts are a highlite of my morning coffee.

    luv u, mean it! (smooch!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Love ya back, Jimmy!
      And I feel you about deleting somebody from the past from your timeline for being a dick. Have done that. Several times. Nobody ain't got time for that negativity!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. The online Tribe replaces IRL community - in some cases, anyway. I have friends (still) from H.S. whom I talk with only several times per year but, when we talk, it will be for hours. As you say, as if it were yesterday.
    I forged some true friendships via blogging. You, mistress maddie, French Patrick, AOM, and a couple of folks who do not blog but do read mine and comment, and even email upon occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Online Tribes are a wonderful addition to the friends we already have. And it's so sweet you said that. I do think we have so many commonalities that talking to you is like talking to an old friend.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. The opportunity to meet with online friends presents itself on occasion. For the most part, is deepens the bond. You and I - - I think we'd talk and laugh for hours! xoxo

      Delete
    3. LOL Absolutely! Goofiness is fundamental!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Interesting. What's even more interesting is that we can all be members of more than one tribe which says a lot about our diversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, totally. Just like IRL! We gravitate to like-minded people who share our interests and stimulate our thinking (and other things). My timeline is full of politics, sex and religion. My favorite online sports.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. That meme was correct, I posted about dropping friends because I refuse to tip toe around them. I think we bare our souls here, it's easier I find than in the real world, although that is changing for me now. We don't sensor ourselves here and that's one of the reasons I don't want people I know reading this blog. I don't want to have to second guess what I'm writing. I think that brings an honesty to most blogs... and so we can quickly find our tribe here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Dropping negative people from our lives is an exercise in self-care. And we do bare our souls here. I write about things that I sometimes don't talk about with close friends. I think that only some very close friends know I blog here but they already love me warts and all.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Having online friends is nice, but it is no substitute for connections in the real world. I enjoy the company of you folks, but I have no illusions that you will support me in my time of need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lurkie. You know we appreciate you in all your grumpy glory. Deep (deep) down you're a softie. And the thing is that the wall you've built around you IS a fortress. But I know that between all of us will chip away a little doorway. If I lived near Lurkieville, I'd be at your door with a casserole and a bottle of hard liquor in a heartbeat. I bet debating you is a ton of fun.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.