Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Boy.



I have always liked Boy George.
I think he's a very unique artist and I love, love, love his style. He's one of those eighties figures who has managed to stay in the minds of people. His Twitter feed is sometimes absolutely hysterical. He's prone to bon mots and snarky one liners and I'm here for it.

I also quite like his voice. And I think it's gotten more seasoned with age. I have no idea of tone or pitch or anything people who know music and singing talk about. I'm talking from the point of view of a consumer of pop music: I like his music. Both solo and with Culture Club. His voice has feeling and it sounds both beautiful and weary. It gives me a feeling similar to when I listen to Billie Holiday, but without the need to look for some good Riesling. It's Billie and wine all the time.



View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Boy George (@boygeorgeofficial) on


The thing is I think I became a bigger fan after I found his autobiography (Take it Like a Man) in a second hand store awhile ago and devoured it in one afternoon. I find him infinitely interesting. I also seem to share his penchant for bisexual men and  oversized shirts so of course I was hooked. I also think that he's one of those 80's stars who has adapted to and adopted many of the 'new' social media trends to promote his music and the music he likes.

I was sad for awhile because he was not producing any songs or signing with the group. I did get some of the collections he put out when he was DJing. They're all fab. Then Culture Club got together, he published new songs solo and voila! he was in the public eye again. Good for him! I like his irreverence and his dark sense of humor. I love the make up (and now he wears it while sporting a goatee, which I love!) and the clothes and the hats and the whole shebang. He was ahead of his time then (along with Annie Lennox) and looks ahead of his time still.

He's been husky, he's been thin, he's been in trouble with the law. He's been deep in addiction and gleefully sober. He's sold millions of records and probably just a third of that lately and he seems unfazed by it all. I like that he seems to be making music for the joy of it and I'm here for it. Because at the end, that's what I strive for: do what I love and love what I do. And the Boy seems to be a good example of that philosophy.

XOXO















Comments

  1. I've always liked Boy George too. He's a true original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      He's very unique. He was genderbending when it was not fashionable.
      XOXO

      Delete
  2. here he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_George

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, the 80s and culture club...(sigh). I liked mikey, the bass player. mikey reminded me of sam cooke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Boy has evolved (matured?). I haven’t really heard his music in sometime. Some of his music is haunting. And I think I can get into his sound.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very eclectic. I really like it when he gets all Jamaican/Reggae.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I have always liked The Boy. His hasn't been an easy road,sometimes due to his own issues, but he's always been himself,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he's been through some DRAMA.
      I like how he's always bounced back. Some have not been that lucky...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I remember him being really funny and clever. The girls in my high school loved him, I was into a different type of music back then. I recently heard an old interview with him, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders in the early days. I was not aware that he is still making music, I will check out the videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've seen the interviews.
      He's very quick witted and sardonic. I like that.
      He's still making music. Both on his own and with CC.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I love Boy George! The last I saw him,he was judging on The Voice in Oz. I don't see the attraction to 'Bi' men (sorry Huntley). I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he was on The Voice!
      And trust me, so Bi men have rocked my world! LOL
      I should write about that...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. The timbre of his voice has deepened - as it does with age. With him, it has a great effect - more emotion comes through than when he was young and first with Culture Club. He's proving he has staying power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes!
      There's a soft vibrato that really gets me. He's always been able to infuse his songs with feeling.
      Who knew he'd last this long? Bet many people wrote him off as a flash in the pan.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. It was easy in the beginning to do just that - consider him a flash in the pan. It felt "gimmicky" despite the voice, but he proved he's more than the initial gimmick that got him noticed. (Gypsy, anyone?) xoxo

      Delete
    3. He has kept putting pit music and I’m glad!
      I do like the voice a lot.

      XoXo

      Delete
  9. I don't know... everyone seems to like him... except me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course you don't, Dave.
      Of course you don't.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I had the pleasure to meet him several times when he came to Philadelphia to a now closed club Shampoo, to do DJ sets. Boy...could that boy spin some house. I still have a two cd set of that' nights music he signed. Drag did/does have it's advantages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Culture Club live in Pittsburgh years ago. They were fab!
      And he does have awesome collections as a DJ! My fav is A Night Out.A Night In with Boy George. The chill/dance vibe is fantastic!
      And you have it signed? Jealous!!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. When I show it too younger friends Sixpense, they are like Boy who?


      bitches.

      Delete
    3. HOW DARE THEY!
      The disrespect! LoL
      The young guns need to be schooled.

      XoXo

      Delete
    4. Sixpence about two years ago there was a show in Canada where musicians mentored young aspiring singers. Boy George was one of the mentors. The young singers didn't know who Boy George was. I felt really old lol.

      Delete
    5. It’s their loss. I think it may be related to their very short attention span. They’re use to music acts coming and going in a heartbeat. Also, the music they seem to favor is overly produced.

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.