Go back in time

Show more

Something old, something new ...



I was watching some Ted Talks on productivity and whatnot and one of the things they were talking about was the idea that listening to opinions by people younger than ourselves and people older than ourselves was as important as listening to points of view of people our own age (and profession). And I agree. They were talking about productivity and being a lifelong learner. You know, those Ted Talks that tear apart the attributes we can embrace to gain inspiration or to just to spark creativity.

It's always fun to learn something new. That's why I have posted this today. I found the video of these guys reacting to Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight and I knew I had to talk about it. Why? Because it's a perfect example of what those Ted Talks were talking about: listening to the opinions of someone older/younger than ourselves is eye opening. It was illuminating. not only because the twins were obviously born at the beginning of this millennium but also because this is probably not the kind of music that they would listen to for pleasure. I think they would go with Childish Gambino or Fetty Wap, Quavo or even Frank Ocean. But they were open to listening to a song that is almost forty years old and that allegedly started the trend of Gated Reverb and went on to define the sound of the eighties. And they are a joy to watch.

The moment the drums come in is an absolute revelation to them. They reminded me of.. me? Because that's what I felt the first time I listened to Ella Fitzgerald sing. And my first time with Billie Holiday. And even with Barbra Streisand and even Adele. None of them were the kind of music I was listening to at that time, but they opened doors for me that I did not know were there before. Nowadays I collect vinyl in many genres: Rock, Pop, Jazz, House. Some Blues. And I don't really have a favorite. I even have The Man in Black and Tammy Wynette and Dolly.

Talking about Dolly, get a load of them listening to Jolene:



Or The White Stripes:



Or Aerosmith



Or the fabulous Nina Simone:



So maybe those Ted Talks were right. The secret to lifelong learning and probably the secret to being creative is being open to new things and seeing things the way people older and younger than ourselves see them. I have decided that my next vinyl record is going to be either Deep Purple or Three Dog Night. I made that decision just now.


XOXO

Comments

  1. These guys are so fun! The way they concentrate on the sound and the lyrics, and their reaction is priceless. It’s kind of how I see you listening to a song for the first time.

    For me it’s just background noise. Maybe I should use the cute twins to listen to music. I find that by watching for their reaction I’m listening to the song more intently.

    Thanks babe!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! They really got into it.and you’re not alone, a lot of people just tap their feet and let the music play in the background. But most times the combination of music and lyrics is what makes the song a success.
      They’re great guides!

      XoXo

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear. The young. So fun. I love their enthusiasm. As vinyl goes... I would get Three Dog Night's greatest hits. It is a fine listen and the group was a singles oriented group... creating a cohesive album? Not their thing. But a collection of their singles will give you a fine sense of who they were. And they were so popular. Because they knew how to pick their songs/songwriters. They broke so many new songwriters in, giving them massive exposure. Another album of singles to find is The Guess Who's greatest hits. Very similar experience to Three Dog Night. Thanks for sharing this. It makes me want to sit and listen to music today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t their excitement contagious? You listen WITH them all the way. And so I think I’m gonna go with Three Dog Night. The last vinyl store I went to had tons of their records and the owner kind of gave me a run down of their music but I was undecided. I think I’ll get them.
      The Guess Who is in the queue!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Weren’t they a blast?
      I enjoyed them so much!

      XoXo

      Delete
  4. you can't move forward if ya don't know from where you came. that applies to music, cooking, all aspects of life. (says the 66 year old fart)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      Other perspectives are always needed. And I have to say that I truly enjoy your playlists! They’re such a mood!

      XoXo

      Delete
  5. I love them listening to Jolene.

    My father was a teacher and we learned as kids that you learn something new everyday and from everyone, no matter age, race, gender ...everyone can teach you something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn’t that awesome?
      They’re like, you go, Jolene! LoL
      And learning is fundamental. Your dad was right!

      XoXo

      Delete
  6. I think I must go find more of them. Priceless. You had me at Barbra!! LOL. Of course, Billie was waaay before my time, so were Sarah Vaughn and well, you get the picture. I also listen to radio stations that play what the younger crowd listens to. I have friends who are much younger and I love hearing what they have to say, how they look at the world. Sadly, the older friends --- well, they've all passed. I miss them and their wisdom greatly.
    I'm with Upton: Three Dog Night. No their albums were not "conceptual," they put albums together in a more traditional sense. He also mentions The Grass Roots...yep, another genre and well worth the time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG their channel is a joy!
      I was there for an hour, I think. And I discovered Barbara because the Repug parents of my friend swore her off cause she’d become ‘too liberal’ I immediately went and got one of her records LoL
      I don’t listen to the radio too much, I do my own playlists and I like podcasts. But I read Rolling Stone and Billboard regularly. Top ten music can get repetitive but there’s some that’s cool..
      And I’m gonna have to get into Three Dog Night, then.

      XoXo

      Delete
  7. This makes me want to go back and listen to the lyrics of all the songs on my playlists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re so compelling.
      They have one video listening to Whitney Houston and I swear I had to go listen to the song again.

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.