Go back in time

Show more

HAYMAKER









Usually being Trans is treated as a discovery story, where the outing/revelation of said Tans-ness usually pivots the plot or creates denouement. When was the last time you saw a Trans character that was not defined by their Trans-ness up and front in a movie? Yeah. Didn't take you long, huh? So that's why I'm bringing you this today. Haymaker, a movie about a retired fighter who falls for a sultry pop star.

It just happens to be that the pop star is played by the awesome Nomi Ruiz and the fighter is played by the -effortlessly sexy- Nick Sasso. Sasso apparently is into Muay Thai. I had no idea what Muay Thai was, but you know that I am not averse to get myself on google and go down rabbit holes all the time. So I went and found out. Yep, it's about hot men sweating and grabbing each other in a ring. Sounds good to me. What? I'm superficial. I'm always up for athletic, incredibly fit men in tiny shorts rolling on the ground. It's called 'the art of the eight limbs'. Sold!

The premise is intriguing with its gender politics and juxtaposition of romance with such an aggressive sport. Apparently Sasso, who is a fan of the sport, was pleased with the way the combat scenes are presented. It also has that multicultural, global feel that ignoramus Mike Pompeo is warning you about, so you better get a ticket. The movie will be in theaters and on Video On Demand on January 29th. I'm definitely gonna watch from the safety of my sofa...

Oh and if you think you've seen Nomi Ruiz before, it's because she sang with Hercules and Love affair and was in Jessica 6. Talented, that girl.

XOXO




Comments

  1. Just watched the trailer, looks good. 👍🏻 Low-budget but it's interesting. 🙂 The bald fighter daddy looks FINE and the girl's story is something that hasn't been done before. Or, at least, not many times. So... I'd watch it. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has an interesting promise. And I'd say more independent than low budget. They filmed in several continents, so they may have had good backup. Not Guardians of the Galaxy budget, but not bad. And yes, the fighter looks good enough to eat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Hot men in a ring? Did you mean circle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, isn't this the same a boxing? They box in a ring? Or are you talking about circle jerks? Dave, the pandemic is affecting your lexicon!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. My guilty pleasure, MMA. Ima watchn'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yeah, sweaty men in short pants all over each other. It's very disorienting.
      And gay.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I got stuck on hot sweaty men ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Same! And Daddy is shirtless most of the movie, I hope...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Well, I have to pass on this one. ANY kind of fighting turns my stomach; it triggers too many memories for me. Plus, I don't understand how seeing two people beating the shit out of each other is entertainment. When it comes to films about Trans...give me something like "The Crying Game." And, if you haven't seen that, you're cheating yourself. 😎 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes......I just saw you too like The Crying Game. Now I may have to watch it tonight. One of the most excellent Pat.

      Delete
    2. Yep, Maddie, it's a great film. And to have people say, "You have to go see this movie. But, don't give way the ending afterward because it will really spoil it. Hmm, maybe that's where "Spoiler Alert" came from.
      "Boys Don't Cry" is another.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I feel you, Big.
      Fighting scenes can be triggering. And The Crying Game had its cringey moments, too. Like when he throws up after the 'reveal'. I loved her, though and the background of the story.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Keep on being superficial, Sixpence! We love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first and the one movie of trans that I enjoy....and one of the first to have a trans twist was. The Crying Game. OMG. I can still hear the audience. I don't know if watch this or not. I can't get into boxing and the such. And the tough butch guy who finds he is liking or falling for the drag queen or trans girl...reminds me of Flawless. But I may watch if I find nothing is on. Im currently in the middle of a binge watch of Professor T...a quirky Dutch tv show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      The Crying Game was groundbreaking (and the title track was Boy George's!). It was a very queer film. I'm with you with the fighting and that's why I have not watched the Creed movies. BTW, Flawless was fantastic.
      And Professor T, huh? Gonna check that out.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. It looks like a good movie, Sixpence. Thanks for sharing. Hope we start seeing more movies like this go mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was interesting.
      And yes, Trans lives should be more mainstream, less sensationalized. It would make for very good intro to some people into what it means to be Trans. Especially if the lead is an actual Trans person, like here.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. You know... things just keeping getting better... in some ways. This was nice to learn about. That it exists demonstrates we are heading in the right direction.

    Now... in real life? We just have stop all the murders. Because trans women keep getting killed. And the cops? They don't seem to care . Have a lovely weekend. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps, am I right?
      Representation matters. It breaks my heart that all we get is terrible news about Trans people being killed or assaulted just for being Trans. It needs to stop!
      Hope your weekend was awesome!

      XOXOX

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.