Go back in time

Show more

swimsuits

 


Oh, I know. Shocking. But Leyna Bloom being on the cover of Sports Illustrated is an event, hence the girl in the post. Not to detract from the fact that Megan Thee Stallion and Naomi Osaka complete the trifecta of the history-making covers for the 2021 edition of the swimsuit issue of the magazine, but oh boy. This is one for the ages.

I think having a girl on this blog is quite the event, no? I don't usually post women here (sorry, Debra and other women-loving people!) But I could not let this one pass. Leyna Bloom is an actress  with a movie in Cannes and also a model. She's of Black and Asian descent (oh, you know the MAGAts are gonna love this one) and a Chicago native (heyyy gurrl!) and she is strikingly beautiful. I was talking to someone about it, and she said that Sports Illustrated has come a long way. It was only white, blond girls for the longest time. And now this. 




"I dedicate this cover to all ballroom femme queens past, present and future. This historical moment is important to #girlslikeus because it allows us to live and be seen. Many girls like us don’t have the chance to live our dreams, or to live long at all. I hope my cover empowers those, who are struggling to be seen, feel valued. Let me be a messenger guiding us to a future of respect and appreciation for all women in all forms and from all walks of life."


Leyna's cover comes after last year's other historical first in Sports Illustrated: Valentina Sampaio was featured in the magazine last year. Baby steps. But it has to be noted that what could be considered by some a middle-america, lowbrow pinup magazine is literally ahead of the game by publishing beautiful Trans women in some of their most obviously objectifying features. I'll take it. Representation matters.

This is specially salient when you actually see that people go out of their way to justify their transphobia (while at the same time peddling bad science), so there is no choice but celebrate small victories like this one. Well, not that 'small', because for a girl to be on the cover of the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated is no small feat.

Oh yeah. there's still people causing irreversible damage to the Trans community by dehumanizing Trans people every day and justifying their misguided quest with every little bit of bad science that can be found in the internet. These people would want Leyna going to the boy's bathroom, mind you. And we all know she has no business being there.

XOXO







Comments

  1. OH.MY.GAWD! Get me the smelling salts, I’m having the vapors! 🙄 This is huge. Small town America is going to be up in arms. Well first they’re going to Google Leyna to find out who she is. Unfortunately I have to admit that I was not familiar with her.

    She is a stunningly beautiful woman. Like all models, she works hard at her craft and has earned the success she is experiencing. Kudos to Sports Illustrated for they’re selections this year.

    And she’s not the only SI cover model causing a stir this year. I’m sure you’ve seen the uproar regarding Naomi Osaka and the break she’s taking for her mental health. I’m baffled that in 2021 people cannot understand the seriousness of depression and other mental health issues. It’s not just being sad, and it’s not something that will pass. Fuck Megyn Kelly and the rest of them.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍đź’‹‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just KNOW there's some people all up in arms about this. Using all the old, tired arguments about biology and whatnot. And I did not know who she was, either, don't feel bad.
      She is very, very beautiful and deserves the accolades, of course. And somebody asked me about Osaka and conflated having anxiety with the impossibility of her posing for photos. I quickly shot that down.
      Fuck Megyn and the rest of them, indeed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. So, I wonder how many MAGA hands are secretly groping in their pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, many. Duh.
      It's a double whammy of forbidden for them. Jim Bob is probably at it as I type.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. She's gorgeous, and she deserves to make history, er, herstory!

    Good on SI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely gorge.
      And it IS herstoric. And Sports Illustrated of all places, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Opening Eyes / Speaking Truths / Changing Minds Well, we can only hope so, because there are a lot of minds needing change. I mean, a shit-ton! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      Sometimes I read some shit that leaves me really, really sad.
      People who are wilfully ignorant are the worst.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Are you switching teams now? Hahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOOO
      No, dear. Gold star forever, I think.
      She's all yours.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard heads exploding all over the US on a trans getting major attention and long over due exposure since Candis Cayne appeared in a major role on ABC 'S Dirty Sexy Money. Like us gays, their here, and they are here to stay! Kudos to SI!!!!! I thought I also heard they also featured all different body types in the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but there are corners of the internet where the transphobia is real and virulent. And I think it is true that they did feature different body types. I know. Groundbreaking. And Sports Illustrated?
      Who knew?

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Sport Illustrated. Ugh. I actually had a subscription in high school, because that's what you did - remember selling magazines to raise money for your class? Such bull. I have mixed feelings about this. Yes... a step forward, but still - do we really need to objectify women in this way in this day and age? This is about sex selling magazines. Like once a year Sports Illustrated turns into a whack off mag (which, by the way, is what I did with my subscription. Baseball players and basketball players? HOT)

    It does raise awareness, but also creates a target. And in this day and age, people are not shy about being total azzhats.

    I am being a coward.

    That's why I live in a basement.

    Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh really?
      I didn't know about SI until later. But yeah, kind of fapping material for teens, no? And objectifying women (and men) happens all the time. I objectify men in this blog on the daily. And I think she felt like a target already, having had to come out as a Trans woman. This is her telling the world the word is woman.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. here you'll find some wiki bio.

    I was sure she was a natural woman....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that she has her own Wiki page!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.