Go back in time

Show more

Royal, Powerful and Slutty


Call it what you will, but the MET Gala was an event. After a year of being holed up at home, watching (vaccinated) people mingle and show off outrageous fashions was refreshing (Bob has a great review!). And Lil' NasX was there, in the middle of it all. He was the mood and he was the moment. Lil' NasX is having a moment in pop culture and he's milking it for all it's worth. And I'm enjoying it. The thing is, we have not had a performer who is openly gay from the beginning of their career and go on to have songs in the top ten in America.

Having an openly gay rapper walk the red carpet and make it memorable in an event like this, is very encouraging. It's something that has not been seen until literally now. Oh, Frank Ocean was there, with green hair and promoting his clothing line. But Frank Ocean is a totally different kind of artist and man. It's like two sides of a coin, those two. Lil'NasX ate the event and had people talking about him and his new record. Mission: accomplished.

Even though I don't really consume Lil'NasX's music (I did download Montero because I love the beat) I support his efforts to keep being his own bad self and applaud his smart approach to life. He's in his early twenties, but I think that older people (and some older gay men) could learn a thing of two about the way he sees the world. His points of view on what makes something scandalous, what his hypothetical responsibilities about other people's children are and the way he trolls the trolls on internet are priceless. He's got a future, I think.

His music also kind of breaks barriers. Not completely rap, not totally hip-hop, bordering on pop and with hints of country, it defies categorization. And when it comes to visuals, he knows what he wants. Want a taste? Check out his latest video, where he falls from the sky, plays football, wears a pink uniform, kisses a boy, has sex in the showers, has his heart broken and then goes ahead and marries himself. 

He may be on to something, because as Ru says, if you don't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?

Happy Pride!



XOXO

P.S. He not only did it during the MET Gala, he also burned the stage at the VMAs.  



 




Comments

  1. eroticism everywhere, as I love.

    Happy week end everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is his moment and good for him for making the most of it. In anticipation of his album dropping this week he filled his Twitter timeline with images of him pregnant waiting for his “baby” to drop, complete with a baby shower, to which no one showed up. It was genius. Then he teamed up with Sir Elton for a series of Uber Eats commercials.

    He’s hot right now in more ways than one. I can’t wait to see where he goes next.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's milking it for all its worth.
      He knows how to use social media to promote his music, all the while being unapologetically himself.
      And his music is not bad.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I'll bet some people think he's got balls of steel. What stood out for me in that entire video? The fact that he kept saying, "Good job, everybody." May he stay that kind, and that appreciative. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have much more courage than many other men twice his age.
      He could have landed on his face the second he came out as gay, but he used it to deliver music and a message of individuality.
      He also seems very aware and in tune with others. In that interview with the Breakfast Club I linked, he clarifies that even though therapy is not for him, some people may need it. Right on the spot.
      He's a cool guy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. His music isn't really my thang, but I give all kinds of credit for being apologetically himself and just running with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      It's not like I'm a Rap connoisseur. I just like songs I can dance to.
      But I can recognize a great message and a cool personality. And LilNasX is delivering both.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Much like you I enjoy him and it's refreshing to see his openness and gives no fucks. I don't consume his music, as it's not my style, but do enjoy some of it. Im not into wrap much. But for some reason, I didn't enjoy his ensemble at the Met Gala...and I'm usually for, all over the top and go big or go home. But I only really liked the first entrance look myself.

    That said Id still get into bed with him ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find him refreshing in more ways than one.
      I think the ensemble was theatrical and the reveals were fun. Was is groundbreaking? Only in the sense that it was a gay, Black man doing it in such a stage. Donatella Versace herself blessed his timeline.
      Oh, honey. I bet he's all kinds of fun in the sack.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I love his outrageousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      He's one of those people who think 'oh, you thought THAT was gay? Take THIS!' and hits them in the head with it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Not really interested in the Met Gala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course you aren't.
      And this is not about the Met Gala. It's about an out gay man who feels no shame and does not harbor internalized homophobia.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I need to check out his music. And I hope that this comment makes it through. The last few times blogger has said "oops" and not posted them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His music is fun!
      Even for those who do not like Hip-hop. It's also not exactly Rap, even though he brands himself as a rapper.
      And Blogger is horrible. I cannot post any comments from my tablet because it gives me the 'oops' bullshit.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. What is not to love. This is his moment. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I've been watching his media onslaught preparing for the launch of his record and could not help but do a slow clap. He IS the moment.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I don't know much about his music, but can get behind him with such a brave and in your face, I'm here and queer, get it over, it attitude. After all, there is nothing wrong, but normal to be gay. To my kids, they think nothing of it. For an old broad, I try to stay up on things you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.
      It's very refreshing to see an artist who's got number one songs do this kind of thing. His no-nonsense approach to his sexuality makes it less of a hindrance and more of a tool to gain what an artist needs: attention to his music.
      And you do stay up on things!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. Adore. He had me at day two. And I think he's our very own Lady Gaga. Can't wait to see all that he has up his sleeves. He's so talented. Leaves all the others in the dust. He's the future of music. I haven't been this excited about an artist since Gaga and Adele... and not this excited about a male artist since Frank Ocean. Thanks for sharing this. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      And I do agree with the Gaga comparison. And she did something similar one of the times she walked the red carpet at the Met. Kind of surprisingly, his record has been well received by the industry, calling it innovative. And I'd love it if he'd collaborate with Frank Ocean. Can you IMAGINE?

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.