Go back in time

Show more

Billy & Joel


Billy Eichner and Joel Kim booster gave me two of the best rom coms I've seen this year. And probably in years. This weekend I went to see #Bros, the comedy Billy wrote and starred in. I have never really payed attention to Billy, to tell you the truth. I have seen him in Parks and Recreation and I think in Difficult People, but I've never watched his Billy on the Street (people tell me i't hilarious). 

So when I went to see Bros, I was intrigued. I loved the idea of someone doing a gay rom com for a big movie studio. Remember  Fire Island was for Hulu. But in some aspects, this one was different to Fire Island (which I loved): this one made me go to a movie theater because it is not streaming, and the last time I was in a theater was to see Eternals and we were still in the pandemic. The pandemic fucked up my desire to go see movies in theaters but this one made me go. And now Billy is on my radar.

And I was not disappointed. Bros is a full-on rom com, with all the traps and quirks rom coms have (think When Harry Met Sally, Bridget Jones's Diary or You've Got Mail, which is referenced in Bros, but just have the rom com with two men) and it totally works. It's the old boy meets boy, boy bickers with boy, boy falls for boy routine. But at the same time, it is so much more than that: it's funny, it's touching, it's sexy and it's honest. And Billy and Seth make such a cute couple!

There are in-jokes (the gays will get them) laugh out jokes (everybody will get them), raunchy jokes (the best) and funny cameos galore (Debra Messing, Amy Schumer, Ben Stiller and others). There's serious conversations in funny settings and funny conversations in serious setting, there's Nora Ephron moments and Tom of Finland moments. Grindr jokes and family jokes. It's got the grand gesture at the end with the not-so usual three month and re-evaluate caveat. It's smart and it's fun. And sexy. Because life does not end if you don't look like a Bel Ami model.

It's a movie that was worth taking the L train, putting up with the Cubs fans and a crazy guy telling everybody he was fine and then paying the ticket to the old ArcLight theater (it's now an AMC and a movie is $15?). Bros is a movie worth watching. So, if you have time this week (you can do the $5 night in your local multiplex, natch) go see it. See it alone or better, go see it with friends. But go see it. I promise you'll have fun. And if you don't there's Seth McFarlane's abs to keep you happy...

XOXO

P.S. my fav moment? When Billy says that we as gay men have learned to take that post-coital high we get after a hookup with a guy we don't know (and probably will never see again) and keep the memory of it for as long as we can, to cobble it up with the awesome moments we have with friends and call it happiness... Truer words...





P.P.S.:

So there's the fuck that. 

Comments

  1. Good news all-around, Bros and Blogger, eh?
    We may go see Bros this weekend because I like Eichner and I have adored looking at Luke MacFarlane since Brothers and Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes!
      I thought the movie was fantastic. Witty, heartfelt, real. And McFarlane is absolutely handsome. Leading man material. Yes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. The reinstatement hints that someone complained, possibly a fan of the artist, that your post was threatening his income, or ability to publicize, and the Team realized it was a rather impotent complaint. While Bros made over $4 million this weekend, it's considered a financial flop. Big City America is ready, small town america is not. It will be highly successful when it starts to stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it can be the algorithm. Or a fan with an Annie Wilkes disposition. The artist loved the post. I DM'd him. Instagram artists NEED to be known.
      Bros was against Middle America's homophobia. You should go see it. Is it even in your multiplex?? That way your bigoted corner of the world will be less... bigoted.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. both of them so cute

    and about the reinstatement, I only hope they fixed their fucking-son-of-a-bith-and-bigoted-algorithm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make such a cute couple!!
      And the fucking algorithm can suck my dick.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I wish it could suck my dick. Instead, it makes me nervous!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha I know a guy who can do that.
      It's fascinating.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the movie AND that Blogger reinstated your post! The squeaky wheel gets the grease -- good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the movie was fab!
      And yes, I clicked on that link asking for a revision EVERY FUCKING DAY for a week and a half.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10/03/2022

    Big says,
    MOST excellent. SO happy the post was reinstated. AI is not all it's cracked up to be, eh?
    Been hearing great things about "Bros" and will definitely make it a point to see it. The grade on Rotten Tomatoes is terrific. Let's hope the mainstream audiences love it --- then we'll get more. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes!
      And AI is bullshit, but Google relies on it. Heavily. And Bros is a great movie. And it's well done. It can be uneven in places but overall is a great Rom Com.
      And that's the point: audiences need to go see it so we get more movies like it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10/03/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Bros has been getting very positive reviews. However, yours is the most important. It looks like a good time. I did see Fire Island on Hulu and really enjoyed that. The gays are starting to make their move and I’m here for it.

    I’m soooo glad they finally reviewed your post and restored it. There was nothing controversial about it at all.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10/03/2022

      HuntleyBiGuy:
      I guess Luke McFarland is quite the wood worker https://www.instagram.com/ten_minutes_younger/?hl=en

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the reinstatement. I have issues with Billy. I don't know that he can ever not be snide. I power watched Difficult People and I found his world view rather weary. But... I am looking forward to seeing Bros . I will give him that. I recently watched Joel's stand up special. He's fun. It's an interesting cultural mix. And I appreciate his unflinching honesty. I dunno. I continue to have issues with media dubbed 'gay'... why isn't it simply a story about people? But that's asking a lot, since most of society still view our population as a foreign entity. Glad you got to go out. And glad you're posting again, my dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I won't celebrate cause I don't trust the bastards, but yeah.
      And I had never really payed attention to Billy until now. I like his slightly brash approach. I share many of the traits of his character, btw.
      Joel's stand up is fantastic. Warts and all.
      And 'gay' is good and it needs to be de-stigmatized. And you will have to let us know what you thought of the movie!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I have to admit that I am surprised to see that Bros' is playing at a theater in Abilene given that it was the third most conservative city in the state and is home to 4 christian universities. Who would have thunk it? But I have a doctors appointment there tomorrow and plan to see it after. And only 5.95 for a ticket. Some things are better/cheaper in West Texas after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait what? Abilene?
      Who knew? I'm so happy you're gonna see it! I would love to know what you think, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. don't know if you read replies to comments you make on other blogs but just in case I just posted this in reply to your comment on Moran-Newman-Farms

    the wet water thing is quoted from this article...

    https://scitechdaily.com/the-fountain-of-life-scientists-uncover-the-chemistry-behind-the-origin-of-life/

    well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do!
      And thanks for the link! I heard about it from PBS (love them).

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I do have a soft spot for Billy, so hopefully we'll the film over here.
    Good news about the post being reinstated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I love sarcastic men over six feet tall. And let us know if you go see it!

      XOXO

      p.s. the fuckers at Blogger got with the program.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.