Go back in time

Show more

Aqua


So I started aquascaping a while ago. I started to get interested in water plants because I read about Japanese moss balls and also because I started watching videos about how to create landscapes in fish tanks. It was fun and creative and I was hooked.

I am not interested in fish, though. I find them finicky and very high maintenance. I was also traumatized by the death of a Betta fish I got as a gift when I was in college. He was so very pretty! Fire red with a huge tail and a curious demeanor. I loved that little animal and then I killed him. Or at least I think I killed him. He was fine for months and then one day he was dead. I did not take it well. So I have not had fish ever since.

Aquascaping, on the other hand, is like having a terrarium. Only it's all water. I have had terrariums before, so when I started watching videos that had to do with the location of plants and pebbles and driftwood and the such to create aquatic landscapes and moods I was intrigued. At the beginning I only had one aquarium. Well, it was more like a flower vase that I was not using and that I decided to convert into a little aquarium.

I got my first plants and moss balls probably at Petco or somewhere lame. I was so fucking excited I could spit. I took them home and I sat down for hours deciding on what I wanted to do with them. It was super fun! I guess I like solitary endeavors. It does push your creativity having to decide what to do with a few elements in such a small space. And then it looks like a little garden.

The upkeep is not too terrible, either. I change the water every two or three weeks, I check the plants are ok and I let my fishless aquariums be. I've had some of those plants for a long time. I also use tap water that I've left air overnight to get the chlorine out to do my water changes. I think that for awhile I used distilled water but then it got too tiring. If you do aquascaping for a big tank with fish, it can get serious. People spend a LOT of time with those and also some coin. I do the minimum and I still find it entertaining and relaxing. And pretty.

So if you're looking for a project to keep you entertained during the quarantine, why not aquascaping? It may prove fun. Also, the men who do aquascaping (I usually watch men doing thins, natch!) are adorably dorky and some are even quite hunky in that quiet way some men have. Love me some everyman. So double whammy. Go play with water!

XOXO









Comments

  1. Quite interesting and beautiful. I’m sure the only thing that would grow for me would be algae. Besides, the cats would play with the water, knock it over and then I’d have a big mess to clean up that I’d blame on you 😉

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pretty. And your kitties need to be disciplined! No more catnip for them!

      LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Oh wow... I'm amazed, alright! That looks sooo pretty. I want it as well, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like tiny gardens. Mine are simpler because I would not be able to deal with the work. You should try it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Very cool, very ethereal. I'd never really seen this before and now i find it amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like landscapes in a water-filled globe. Really. They are also very relaxing to look at. The upkeep -every two weeks I change the water- is part of my routine now with this pandemic...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. My first thought for the no fish
    was 'The Dead Sea', but what ever floats your boat!

    Would this be considered a pet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Jimmy....the boy toy is the pet!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. LOL the Dead Sea, Jimmy?
      And this I consider more like mini-gardening? I'm not a pet person, dear.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Interesting. We have a ledge with some pots of bamboo in water only. Never thought to add other plants - now I may have to try it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Bamboo? I have heard of people who keep it in water. And you should try some water plants too! They are very pretty.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. They are pretty cool and pretty to see, but a don't know these are for me. They remind me of being a kid..I used to have a huge fish aquarium growing up. What a pain in the ass. All kinds. The goldfish were the easiest. The beta were the pain. Males had to be spilt up...babies had to be separated or they would be eaten by the males. After all the fish in the biggest aquarium died...parakeet and canaries were my next pets.

    Are you sure you didn't get Japanese Balls mixed up with sex and this post? I like big Brazilian Balls better. The Japanese Balls remind me of those little balls in Italian Wedding soup....and then an hour later im hungry again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I never had an aquarium when I was a kid, so maybe that's why I find them so interesting. I did have a Betta and I know they can be super aggressive. But they're so pretty! Like a bad boyfriend, no?
      And no, those are Japanese moss balls (actually they are algae, but people call them moss balls) and they are super easy to take care of.
      And honey, I feel you when you say Brazilian balls are better!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of aquascaping before -- very cool! And I agree, fish are too hard to look after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's a thing! You should see how many tutorials and guides are there on YouTube! And fish are notoriously finicky. I had a Betta, who live in tiny containers in pet shops, and I still managed to kill it. Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I came back to watch the videos. That second one has piqued my interests. And I have new for George Farmer. What I want him to show and do with me, has nothing in hell to do with creating a aquarium. HUBBA HUBBA! I have some unresolved fantasy's for later today!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, George. The accent. The big hands. The smile. The guns. The tight jeans. Yep. Hubba hubba indeed. Mr. Farmer could clean my tank any time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. never heard of this hobby, but it looks interesting. you will have to show us some pix of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super cool. I think so, at least. And that pic at the top of the post is of my two little projects! One was in my office and I had to bring it home, so now I have two!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Very nice. For a number of years I had tanks with fish, some rather big tanks, and occasionally a big fish. I always had live plants. Every now and then I get the mood to set one up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dave, you should! Especially if you have the experience. I've had these plants I show here for awhile, and the moss balls from the beginning. I am going to get some new ones when this sheltering in place is over, though. I think I am going to try another substrate soon.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. I wish we had a fishless aquarium. Lots and lots of maintenance. And they just swim in circles. And poop everywhere. And it hangs out of their butt. Not cool. I would definitely like aquascaping only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there you go with your next science project for the kids! It could lead to all kinds of little lessons: from planning, to observing the plants, to avoiding algae... the possibilities are endless. And you don't have to include pooping fish. Win/Win.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.