Go back in time

Show more

Closer




I don't know if you've noticed, but my avatar is Trent Reznor in Closer. When I started the blog back in 2005 (it's really been that long?) I was going through a series of changes and upheavals and even though my life was not a mess, it had suffered many changes and I think that was reflected in the choices I made. Even when I chose that avatar to represent me in this world of ones and zeroes, where you can be anything you wanna be.

Looking back, it does not surprise me that I was so into NIN. They had evolved in their music, but kept that edge that made me pay attention to them. Also, I thought Trent Reznor was the shit. I have always have a thing for intense, brainy men with a five o'clock shadow and a leather jacket, natch. Yeah, I have always had that bent. Also, Closer really encapsulated that period in my life. The lyrics could not be more appropriate:

You let me violate you
You let me desecrate you
You let me penetrate you
You let me complicate you
Help me; I broke apart my insides
Help me; i've got no soul to sell
Help me; the only thing that works for me
Help me get away from myself
I wanna fuck you like an animal
I wanna feel you from the inside
I wanna fuck you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to God.

Even though The Downward Spiral sounded a little too nihilistic to me, I loved the metaphors and the industrial-techno sound. I had overgrown the Rave scene and I was not going out as much as I did a year or two before. But having recovered from an earth-shattering breakup and after I picked up the pieces to start anew, I still had some unresolved angst in me. That's why I started blogging, I guess. And that's why I chose that little gif as my avatar.

Funny to think that I'm still using that avatar, though. Even though my life has done a 180 (or two) since I started blogging, I have never changed it. I think that may be because I'm still looking for something. Not out of angst, mind you, but out of curiosity. And curiosity may have killed the cat but it still drives me.

I am curious about life and about people and about the things that make them tick. I am also curious about myself and other people and I explore that here. Sometimes I wish I had one of those upbeat, cheery blogs that publish recipes and are always very optimistic. But that wouldn't be me, right? I still feel that Trent talks to me. Even though I feel I have grown as a person, there's still that nagging sensation inside me that tells me I need to mature, to keep searching. Do you ever feel that?



Nine Inch Nails: Closer (Uncensored) (1994) from Nine Inch Nails on Vimeo.

Well, there's also the feeling I have that I need to find some kind of resolution to some things in my life that need to be resolved. I know, it's not some deep philosophical quest, but it's nonetheless one that I feel I need to complete. There are some things I have got to pay attention to, and even though the resolution to some of those are not in my hands, some do need my direct input. The problem is, how do I address them? Choices, as Tatianna would say. We all have those, don't we?

Also, I still want Trent to fulfill his promise...


Come on over, Trent. I'm waiting....

XOXO

Comments

  1. Ok first off, that monkey is terrified, so that turned me off. And I’m not one for heavy metal but I can understand how the lyrics speak to you. And I also understand your penchant for Trent (sorry for the rhyme).

    I think that we all carry a little bit of history around with us, resolved or not. It’s what makes us who we are and influences the choices we make, consciously or not.

    Oh and by the way, I second the closing gif 😎

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yeah, the monkey is having a moment. And that baggage we carry is sometimes good (we try not to make the same mistake twice) or bad (we never learn). As I said, choices.
      And I liked that industrial-techno-rock vibe. Still do.
      And if Trent knocks on my door, I'll let you know...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. If he shows up, maybe he'll bring his Oscar with him. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trent-reznor-i-am-truly-162213

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      Well, no matter how he shows up, he would be welcome.
      It was very atmospheric and moody. He also did the title sequence for Seven, the moody Fincher movie.
      And there for a second I thought you were going to say that he was not 'rock and roll' enough.. LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. LOL. Love the ending. Basic beast. How wonderful that you continue to evolve and have chosen to share that journey with us via blogging. You learn, you share, we learn... And it's fun getting to know someone this way. I am sorry for what you went through... the pain. But coming out on the other side of it? We emerge changed... that's the evolution. And that curiosity? That will serve you well all your life. I love industrial sounding house music. The more dramatic, the better. Massive Attack? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww
      Thnx, Upton! I like blogging. It's my therapy. LOL
      It was a very topsy-turvy time. A lot of stuff changed and I imagine it changed my life forever. And I did emerge changed. Still feeling some of the effects, but hey. What's growing without some pains?
      And industrial sounding house music is the shit. Love it. I love me some Massive Attack and Portished.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. That settles that question. And boy have I wondered what that was: a beating heart? a breathing lung? a throbbing penis? I've looked and looked and I couldn't cypher what the heck that was. Mystery solved. I'm so glad; I was going mad. Is there a new avatar coming? The licking one is rather appealing to me. Much. As for the fucking part, do you want to do it in the bedroom or is right here all right with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Trent's throbbing penis would have been awesome, BTW. And nope, no new avatar. I like this one, but the licking one would be an accurate representation of my desires, TBH.
      And you could do it anywhere, Conde. I know I would not be opposed to any of your... suggestions.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Huh, I was never a fan of NIN - but I do have a couple of their CDs on the shelf. That was a period of upheaval for a lot of people, so it makes sense that they lyrics would speak volumes. Upton sums up the question quite well.
    I'm glad you're still blogging because I feel I've met and made a new friend. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Oh, Big.
      What do you mean you have a couple of their CDs but you're not a fan? Inertia? Xmas gifts? And the nineties were complex. That's true.
      And I like that you drop by and visit. Really. It's been fantastic to meet you.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. NIN - well, you know, you wander by someone who's listening and you go, "Huh. I wonder what that is...." Then you find yourself buying the CD because you heard one song that grabbed you. Ha! Green Day did the same thing to me. LOL. XOXO

      Delete
    3. Ohhh yes!
      The Single Syndrome. Been there. Bought that.
      And I love me some Green Day. American Idiot is seminal.

      XoXo

      Delete
  6. Wondering if we've encountered the same people? Now I'm questioning if I have evolved from my past.

    Mozart would have loved this video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jimmy
      I would not put anything past this life we are living. Who knows?
      And you know we all learn. Small or big lessons. But we learn.
      And can you imagine Mozart in the nineties? Oh, the raves!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I have that NIN album too and "Closer" is my favourite song from it. "You bring me closer to God" -- what a brilliant line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes!
      Yes! I loved the sound and the lyrics. They also did a remix of the songs and I got that one, too. I wandered around the house with my little boombox jumping up and down and deciding what shade of black I was gonna wear that day.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. You know, just yesterday in the shower it occurred to me I kept forgetting to ask you about your aviator. I have ALWAYS wondered what it was. I kept meaning to ask two things everytime I was here and kept forgetting. that was one, and the other is what do you do for a living? Like what field your in? I know you seemd to travel alot before the pandemic.

    I was never a huge fan of Trent or NIN, BUT MY EX SURE WAS!!!!!!! I can listen to them and no doubt his songs are art and deep, but I definitely have to be in the right frame of mind. Like being tied to a bed naked while said other man/men lavish me roughly and do naughty things to me. He seems to have fallen from earth, seems you never hear about him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I know! It's not very clear if you have not seen the video. I have no idea where I found it. It was that time when everybody was pimping their online presence. Remember MySpace?
      And let's say I work for an institution of higher ed. My job is not as awesome as Jimmy's better half's but I like it.

      And I lived for Trent. He's doing more collabs now, instead of fronting NIN. When he was the shit, I had my quasi-goth period mixed with some penchant for raves. NIN was perfectly fit for that. And being tied to a bed naked while some men lavish me roughly would put ME in the mood for Trent, too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Wait... what's happening in that first GIF? lol 😛

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.