Go back in time

Show more

Midnight Kiss



Everybody is talking about spending time inside and watching scary/slash movies right now. And it may be about time. Temperatures have been fluctuating between 40-50 degrees here and it's been windy and a little rainy. Perfect time for some hot chocolate and some scares. I've been watching some scary movies (usually when I can watch with someone because I chicken out when I'm alone). I usually look for something that will keep my interest and makes me forget the gore and the scares. And then I found Midnight Kiss on Hulu. This may be my fav movie for this Halloween. I like it very gay the rest of the year, so Halloween is not an exception. It's funny how very few movies we've seen that cater to the LGBTQ public. And I say this because it seems that with all the acceptance that we seem to have gained, there's still very few mainstream movies that center or have main characters that are LGBTQ-oriented. 

I know that the trope is that the gay/lesbian/black/slutty character is the first one killed in any slasher/thriller/horror movie but what if a movie centers on gay characters? That's what I got when I watched Midnight Kiss. Think of it like one of those ensamble movies like St. Elmo's Fire that meets Scream halfway through. But gay. Unabashedly gay. Gay, gay, gay. The last gay slasher movie I actually saw was Hellbent, years and years ago but then this movie suddenly jumped in my suggestions (you know streaming services know EVERYTHING about you, don't cha?) and I just had to watch. The movie is by no means Hereditary, mind you, but I enjoyed it. Because representation. And because it's October and jumpy scares and talking about what scares us are the order of the day. Don't believe me? Well, here's me, biting on another of Upton's  cool ideas:

The Scary Mary Quiz


Like Upton, Thunder and lightning used to scare me like nothing else when I was a child. Still do, though. It's a combo I really do not like. There's something about that noise that gets to me. I imagine it's the intrinsic, unchained violence of nature that makes me look for cover, no matter where I am. 




I think the first horror movie I really remember is Dario Argento's Suspiria. I knew Miguel Bosé was in the movie and I wanted to watch it, but I had no idea what the movie was about. So my friends and I got it on VHS and sat down to watch it. And I was not ready for the twisty scares and the gore. Not at all. I've watched the movie again as an adult and I think it's fascinating. I even watched the remake and enjoyed it. But that first time I saw it? I absolutely freaked out. 



The one movie I remember that scared me to death was The Exorcist. I was in my late teens and two friends and I snuck into a double-feature movie theater to see The Exorcist. We've heard all the stories but I had never seen the movie so we went. Bad idea. By the first reel I had forgotten all about the popcorn and was freaking out. I've discovered that imaginary monsters scare me and that the Catholic in me takes over when there's tales of the devil. I had nightmares for a month. 




I think that one of the things that scare me most is having to work for a corporation and being trapped in a cubicle for hours on end Twilight Zone style. Seriously. I don't know how I'd react if I had to be hunched over a computer in a cubicle for hours and hours, looking at spreadsheets. Especially now, during the pandemic I've come to appreciate my job. Really. Who fucking knew?



I'm terrified of driving in the snow. Terrified. I once drove off I-90 going to Cleveland during Xmas break and I swear is one of the most terrifying feelings I've ever felt. A big truck passed me on the road and I lost control of the car in the middle of of a snowstorm. Still thanking the Goddess I was alone on the road. I spun and ended up in the ditch. Because of the horrible weather, I had to wait for one hour for the AAA guy to show up and drag me out. Thankfully, the car was fine. When I got to Cleveland, I was shaking so badly I had to have a drink. 



I  very seldom remember my dreams. Very, very seldom. But one of the dreams that usually stay with me is one dream where I'm kind of going to step into the void from a height. I never really do it, you see? It's just that feeling of being on a ledge in a very high place. I have no idea what it means (thanks, Dr. Freud) but it's kind of recurrent. 



I don't really believe in poltergeists, but I get scared in movies that have them. One of those Paranormal Activity movies freaked me out so badly that I usually don't like baby monitors or looking at webcams. Really. I'm a wuss. 



I have never, ever lived in a house that I believed was haunted. Nope. And I don't want to. Why would I do that to myself, Mary?



I don't go to hayrides or haunted house 'experiences'. I don't like jumpy scares. My idea of fun is not running away from a man with a chainsaw. Why would I pay to be scared shitless? Have never understood that. Yes, I'm boring. So sue me.



I've never been pranked. And I've never pranked anybody. I have no idea how I'd react! I'd probably scream and run. Or slap the motherfucker. I have no idea!!


Now, what's your go-to Halloween movie? Is it queer?

Here’s some suggestions: Hellbent, Bite Marks, No night is too Long, In the Blood, Rocky Horror Picture Show and both seasons of Dante’s Cove are on Amazon.

Hulu also has Hot Guys with Guns and two versions of The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Netflix has Last Ferry, and You’re Killing Me.

Happy viewing!

XOXO


Comments

  1. I saw Midnight Kiss awhile ago. Very good movie. I think a couple of my favorite Halloween movies are the original Halloween (takes place in Illinois) and Friday the 13th. I found both pretty suspenseful and they had some cute guys (Kevin Bacon anyone?).

    I do love horror movies and used to watch Creature Features on Saturday night growing up. They had the classics: Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf man, etc. it gets the heart pumping. And what better reason to grab your guy’s hand, arm, or whatever.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by Midnight Kiss! It's not Hitchcock, but it's effective. Ohh and I remember Kevin in that blue square cut. I see you, bae.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Dario Argento made many horror movies early in his career. They had a very splatter content. Now he doesn't make that kind of movie anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argento was considered very art-house when I watched Suspiria. I'd like to watch more of him from that time...

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. here you'll know a bit better Dario Argento

      Delete
  3. Poltergeist. You know...the one from the 80s. Carol Ann. Still gets me squirming in my seat after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes.
      That innocent little girl! I think the first one was the most effective. A critique of life in the cul de sac and the evil of consumerism, too.
      The dad in that movie gave me the feels.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Favorite Halloween movie: "Love at First Bite" Really. It's silly fun.

    Not really a fan of horror movies. But there are some I've seen that I've really enjoyed. "Us." "Get Out" (def this one). Now you have me really thinking... An old Bette Davis movie, she played the matriarch of a town that chose a young many every year that always ended up dead.... Can't remember the name of it.

    Many, many people were scared shitless with "The Exorcist." A bunch of us went during my military days. One guy got so upset and after a week of sleepless nights admitted himself to the hospital for therapy. That's how Catholic he was. So, see? You're not alone. 😊 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the one you saw was either Burnt Offerings or Scream Pretty Peggy? They were both good horror movies. Bette did many more horror movies then you'd think. But more were complete bombs, or very cheesy.

      I've seen Get Out...that was a good one.

      Delete
    2. Get Out is mandatory viewing. Really.
      Us scared me to death because people have told me I do have a Doppelganger.
      The Exorcist really makes the case for the possibility of something rotten under the polished surface of common life. And ex-altar boys will always be shaken by that movie. Always.

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. Aha!! Found it. It was made-for-TV: "The Dark Secret of Harvest Home." Based on the novel by Thomas Tryon. Chilling - plus a damn fine cast. I highly recommend it! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Yes, I went off an icy highway once in a snowstorm and into the ditch -- very scary! Luckily there was no harm done except to my nerves. The guy I was foolishly passing on the highway stopped, gave me a lift to the nearby city and I got a tow truck to haul my car out of the snow. I learned my lesson about driving too fast for conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like the feeling of slipping on the ice. Not a bit.
      Nowadays I drive like a grandma whenever there's an inch of snow on the ground.
      IDGAF about people behind me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I forgot about driving in snow because I haven't done it in eons!!
    But this ... "having to work for a corporation and being trapped in a cubicle for hours on end Twilight Zone style" ... is terrifying!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I love Halloween and LOVE scary movies. Don't Boys Don't Scream is one of my favorite gay all boy movies. A scene had a cutie giving head to the killer only to have his throat cut !!! That unnerved me. And there was a rather gory bathroom stall sex scene too. But the villain dressed as a devil was beyond ripped..and did many unmentioned things.

    I can watch by myself. My three favorite are The Exorcist, Poltergeist, and the Conjuring. Vera Farmiga is excellent in that. But I also like all the old vintage scary classics like those monster flicks. Never have seen Suspiria. I will look for that for tonight.

    But my all time favorite movie.... ever- is Bram Stoker's Dracula. A visual and well done masterpiece. The movie just gives me thrills...with posh style. And Gary Oldman gave me the best incarnation of Dracula me thinks. Ill come watch movies with you babe...Ill hold your hand too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think I saw Hellbent too. That might be the gay one I was thinking.

      Delete
    2. Oh. My. God.
      The Conjuring is terrifying. Vera IS amazing there. And I love Patrick Wilson. He's so wholesome. And like you and Bae, I love old-timey classic creature features. The Mummy is my fave.
      You have got to watch Suspiria. The new version is more attuned to the times but not less gory. As for Dracula, Gary Oldman licking that straight razor is burned in my mind!
      And we should have a horror movie night! Yay!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Your best post to date
    I loved it
    I studies sispiria in university
    It drove me bananas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, John!
      Suspiria was a head scratcher. I could not make heads or tails of it until the very end. And I loved the art direction. So stylish!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I don't care for slasher films, I don't consider them real horror. And when I do see films with slasher elements I either laugh or critique. The Exorcist is an excellent example of a horror film because it doesn't rely on someone getting killed to scare the shit out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the fact that Halloween started a trend that lasts even until today does not make me happy, either.
      I think The Exorcist is so effective is because it works more as a case study, as a documentary of a horrible event. Gory fests like Hostel or that horrible Human Centipede film wallow in human misery. Snuff films are a turn off.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. My go to scary movie is Halloween. I love it. It was one of the first horror movies that scared me shitless. I could never ever watch The Exorcist. The trailers scare me senseless, and the Catholic in me makes my mind go nuts with fright.

    I too am scared to drive in the snow. Once, on my way to Morgantown with my Mom to pick up my sister, it started snowing heavily. And we drove almost 35 the whole way. I remember being terrified that we would end up in a ditch. We made it safely.

    I went to Universal Studios Fright Night. It was a lot of fun. But by the end of the night I was done with being freaked out. Warning signs on some of the expos that said "if you have a heart condition...yada yada yada". I don't have a heart condition, but I did need some tequila shots after going through some of the rides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original Halloween is a classic. It follows Psycho in so many ways... Any other slasher movie after that was really a copy.
      The Exorcist is the Catholic Boy's bogeyman. It still does a good job of scaring me shitless.
      And I can't believe you did Fright Night. I cannot imagine being freaked out for that long (and paying for it!!)

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. Argento's work is much maligned and under appreciated. He did have a mean streak when it came to women, though, so... hmmm. I still watch 'em. Your answers were super fun and thanks for the shout out. We are so much alike... I now view driving in snow as a video game... and concentrate on the physics of it. Oh, and now? I can actually be outside when it is thundering and lightening. But not in the pitch dark. Storms have this weird pre-energy that feels crazy. I have to check out these films on your list. Too many to watch! Currently in love with vintage slasher flicks featuring strong female characters. Jamie Lee Curtis is a go-to girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Argento's use of color and mood are fantastic. He was pretty much movie-school fodder when I watched Suspiria. We thought it was super weird. It holds, though. The remake is very faithful to his idea and it's freaky.
      And we are very much alike, Upton. Which makes me worry for you LOL.
      Well, we are alike except for that being outside when it's storming! Are you CRAZY?
      Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween is the original Final Girl.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.