Go back in time

Show more

Sweet Charity


One of the things the muggles don't understand about us wizards is how difficult it is sometimes to grow up being the only wizard in town. Oh, did I say wizard? Sorry: weirdo. I meant weirdo. While watching Charity Kase tell us her story, I heard her. Even though I do not come from a tiny town or was the only gay in town, I can relate to her story. It's always heartbreaking to listen to someone tell how small minds and small worlds tend to try and crush anybody who does not conform.

I think that more than just Drag, Charity does performance art. Yes, the feminine is there, the campiness, the fun, too. But I think that as many other 'spooky queens', Charity Kase makes us think about ourselves more than about gender or queerness. And that's good, in my book. Drag is sometimes a mirror the performer raises in front of her audience. And that make up! 

Her story is also touching because she was literally the victim of sexual assault at a very young age. And on top of that, she discovered she was HIV+ because of it not long after. She's also talking about being HIV+ and not letting the stigma of being positive hinder her prospects. Talk about overcoming trauma through the healing power of Drag. It makes her Drag so much more understandable and cathartic, really.  

Charity Kase was also on Drag Race UK and I was convinced she was going to make it to top four. Spoiler alert: she did not make it to the top. But as I've said, Ru girls do not need to really win the competition to get a boost: she has more than two hundred thousand followers and many more will probably follow. It's the magic touch reality TV bestows on performers. When Ru chooses a girl to be in the contest, her life is most probably going to change radically. This is probably just the beginning for her. 

Good luck, Charity!

XOXO

P.S. here's her Insta, in case you wanna follow her there. She's quite the conceptual artist. And quite unique: 

CHARITYKASE
CHARITYKASE
CHARITYKASE
CHARITYKASE
CHARITYKASE
CHARITYKASE

Comments

  1. Ha began his life uphill. He had to bear a lot of weight. However, I liked his ability to disguise so much, that I now follow him on IG too. I hope you noticed what handsome man is underneath. Big mischief, of course, but as a simple man I like him even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right.
      It's a heavy weight, dealing with all that at such a young age. And hes, there's a very handsome man underneath Charity. Good eye, Xersex!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. good eye? surely! I love boys since I was a teenager. I have refined my taste!

      Delete
  2. Interesting video! His Disco Fish Face is marvelous! What an imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      The mask is literally created right in front of us. Drag performers never cease to amaze me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. It takes a lot to overcome sexual assault. While initially using drag as a tool to hide the trauma, he's used it as a mean of catharsis. Bravo! I hope victims pay attention...because some don't manage to get past the attack, even years later it haunts them. And that is especially true for men, who often turn to drugs or alcohol...or suicide. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sexual assault is totally traumatizing.
      He did use art well, I think. As you say, sexual assault on men is even more damaging because men usually just bury their feelings. Drag as a life preserver. Who knew?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Charity’s is an amazing story. Out of adversity, she has made a life for herself. She talks of having a shop, so I assume she provides material for others. Her unique expression is really quite breathtaking and very imaginative.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, indeed!
      I think that her not continuing her education was kind of a loss, but as a performer, it made her grow. The creativity is still there, though. And that's what matters.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Very creative. He's very powerful. I think overcoming difficulties definitely helps shape a creative mind. We have to be, in order to live with what's gone before... we manage to come up with a way to escape it, out run it, erase it... temporarily. It's that cunning that makes for incredibly creative individuals. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      It never ceases to surprise me how creativity actually helps people overcome trauma. It's their literal saving grace.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I love when you post videos like this! Charity begins at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Jimmy!
      I thought it was both touching and empowering.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. She drag style is not my personal favorite....but that bitch is talented and her drag style is so unique.....knowing how Ru and Michelle are , I had the feeling she wouldn't fair well on drag race UK. They don't seem to like a queen that tend to only do the same schtick to their drag.....which is part of my problem with the judging. Open your minds up girls. But I have always loved Charities story and her not giving two fucks who likes or doesn't like her style. Her and Nina Bownina Brown need a show together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really liked her drag.
      Such a fantastic vision. Always looking ahead and underneath. And I think Ru saw the talent and the potential (she scans all those tapes, honey!) but I think Charity did stick to that shtick way too much for way too long. Ru goes for more 360 Queens. Bianca and Sharon showed they were more than their shtick.
      I think Charity does have a future, though. She's already touring, before the second season has even ended.
      Nina Bonina Brown is soooo good!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.