Go back in time

Show more

plush




ART by ALBRON

As noted by the New York Post, Life Storage spokesperson Molli Spear made the following remarks about the study on her blog: “Many of our customers dedicate a small section of their storage units to nostalgic items. They may not have any monetary value or utility, but their sentimental value makes them worth saving in a storage unit.”
Men are not just keeping their teddy bears, in other words — they’re renting them space.

THE SURPRISINGLY NON-CREEPY REASONS SO MANY ADULT MEN STILL SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL

ART by SILVERJOW


 Oh, I don't sleep with a stuffed animal. But I do have some stuffed animals laying around that have been with me for awhile.  Apparently I have three bunnies that seem to have stuck around for about ten years now. They moved with me to Illinois from Ohio and have stayed with me ever since, witness to my shenanigans. I have not named them, though, strangely enough, given that people usually name their stuffed animals, I guess? I think I should, though. I'm going to take a poll with my friends and see what names I can give them! New Year's resolution FTW.

Anyway, I have never slept with any of the bunnies, but I can totally understand how and why it is that people would want to keep their stuffed animals close or keep possessions that have no real apparent monetary value. I think that those items hold for them memories and have a special meaning that outbids any expensive trinket. I know that some people would think a teddy bear is just a teddy bear, but if someone has had that teddy bear for thirty years, that teddy bear is definitely part of his life.

All these objects hold a connection to parts of our lives that cannot be replaced. They were given to us by someone we love or care about and they function as some kind of anchor that ties us to a specific moment in time. And I think we should keep them. I am one of those people who does not like to keep too many things but that always ends up with a heap of things that people think are just 'stuff' but that mean something to me: the books someone gave me, the figurine I got when a friend took me to the MOCA, the records I got for my birthday in a tiny record shop in Wicker Park, the IKEA plant I rescued from a sure death in the AsIs section.... the list goes on and on.

All those things mean something to me and allow me to spice up my own environment with mementos that make this place mine. They make me feel comfortable after a shitty day at work or a brutal snowfall or a rainy Sunday or when things are just not working well. I think we all should keep a stuffed animal handy. Even if we don't sleep with it. Because if you sleep with it, you'd be a plushie. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

xoxo

PLUSHIE SCHWARTZ




Comments

  1. I have slept with a small teddy bear for the past 20 years. something to hold on to at night. not into plushies or super large stuffed animals.

    I have no storage unit. I do have things around the house that are mementos of years past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we’ve all had some sort of “security blanket” at some point in our lives. That item that brings back memories of a simpler time when life wasn’t so full of stress and grownup problems. And there’s nothing wrong with finding comfort in them. It’s a safe place for us when times get tough. It’s a harmless stress reliever that we all need sometimes.

    And that video brings a whole new meaning to fucking a bear. I think I saw one that size at Costco.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 day ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.