Go back in time

Show more

cardi



Anyone who has ever taken an intro to feminism course has heard the old adage that the personal is political. It's still true today, however, an ideology around sex that is founded on the very basic belief that what works for our personal needs may not be what's best for everyone else is necessary. Cardi gets that. Her needs are specific, her desires are specific, and she can articulate both without condemning those who don't share them. We need more of that energy. 
 Cardi B's Sexual Politics Are Personal, Complex, And On-Point

Just last year I didn't really know who Cardi B was. You see, I try to stay up to date with what's going on in the world and I read a TON of online sources, so I've read about her here and there. Her exploits and her penchant for being really candid have had people talking for awhile. Her beef with other artists and her shenanigans in several online platforms have been discussed. Her almost liberating sense of being a sexual person is out there. But I did not really know who she was or why was she being mentioned so often.

I had not paid attention to her music, either. That is, until the Grammys. There was Dolly, being awesome. There was Janelle Monae, being fantastic. But I think Cardi stole the show, not only because she was nominated (and won) for best rap song but because her stage presence was so awesome. She was rocking some AMAZING vintage Thierry Mugler and in her performance I saw a lot of that braggadocio that you usually associate with male artists. She was fun, she had showmanship, she was unapologetically sexual. And suddenly, I was a fan.


Then there was this:
I was born to flex (Yes)
Diamonds on my neck
I like boardin' jets, I like mornin' sex (Woo)
But nothing in this world that I like more than checks (Money)
All I really wanna see is the (Money)
I don't really need the D, I need the (Money)
All a bad bitch need is the (Money flow)

I was hooked. Who was this girl who was rapping basically from my own perspective? I had seldom heard this coming from a mainstream female artist in an event like this. Yeah, I know Madonna was shockingly sexual when she came down that cake during the first MTV music awards. But it's been awhile since she did that. I realized that if I were a female that would be my mantra. Cardi comes across as very down to earth, grounded while preaching the gospel of materialism and sexual freedom. She does not hide that she likes sex. But she lets others know that we are free to join or not. Love!

As a gay man, I have been demonized by the media and the religious right as a freak who only thinks about dick. Well, I do think about dick a lot but hey. Don't we all? So when I went over the idea of who Cardi is (it's a persona, of course, because only Belcalis Almanzar knows who Cardi B is) and I found out that she comes from the reality tv world (no wonder I had no idea who she was) and that she became popular by posting videos of herself talking about hustling and talking candidly about being a stripper. Yep. She used to be a stripper. And I find her narrative much more fascinating than that of, let's say Kim Kardashian, who became famous by leaking some sex tape of her and Brandi's brother. And Cardi can also be political. So sex and politics, huh? Yes, please.




I find Cardi B more compelling and I find her music and persona to be much more of a political statement of many other female rappers (or famous reality stars) out there. I am not a rap music fan, so I actually had to go look for the lyrics of her songs and they are fun, and dirty and blunt and awesome. Writing rap rhymes is not easy, so I give her props for being able to keep the tradition of oral storytelling alive and kicking. All the while being politically aware and committed to her own brand of feminism.

Her voice has been heard and it has been considered, in all her potty mouthed glory, even by politicians. She spoke about the government shutdown and shit got very real. She speaks to the masses but she speaks a language that many people can relate to. After all, that's her business.





I like other women who have carved their niche in male-dominated music fields but none get more of my admiration than women who muscle her way into the rarified atmosphere of rap and hip-hop. Missy Elliot, Little Kim and Nicky Minaj come to mind. I also love Khia and Kelis who had dabbed in other genres too. But right now I'm fascinated by Cardi B. She's charismatic, she's confessed that she does not drive (and has almost messed up James Corden's car!) but that she has several cars and that does not let men (or bigoted women) put her down because she was a stripper and because she likes the D. Or because she IS political. She is not trying to convince anybody to follow her steps but she's not ashamed of who she is and where she's been or about what she thinks. She's aware of the moment we live in, and I feel that if I were a girl, I would be like her. Yep. I'd be THAT girl with a reputation and a mouth to match.




XOXO



Comments

  1. Like you, I was aware of Cardi B, however, I’m not really tuned into the rap world (I grew up in the world of Lawrence Welk and polkas, and listen to contemporary music ala Lucas Graham and Jason Mraz). And I was pleased with Cardi’s shutdown post.

    As you said, here’s a strong woman (persona or not) that is making her mark on her own terms. How can you not admire that? Keep on going Cardi!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a real big fan, not my style.And while I don't much care for her beefing antics with other women, Hello Nicki, I do admire that she is speaking up politically. I think the younger generation needs a role model to show them the way toward being political.

    Younger generation? God, i'm old. I should'a said 'whippersnappers' and then told them to get off my lawn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.