Go back in time

Show more

If you’re nasty




I've been a Janet fan forever. One of my first concerts was Janet Jackson. TLC opened for her. Talk about iconic. I danced all night and had a blast, it was a great experience. I have most of Janet's CDs and many of her early records on Vinyl. I love the remixes of her songs. And why Janet, you'd ask? I got on a Janet Jackson bender this week because Upton posted a song by Joni Mitchell. Oh, how do you get from Joni Mitchell to Janet Jackson, you'd ask? It's easy. You're me. 

I love Janet. She does not have the voice that let's say, Whitney Houston had. She sounds to me like a girl version of Michael (did you know that a conspiracy theory said that she WAS Michael in drag?) very breathy and sexy. I think she does fantastic in studio but because she dances so much in her concerts, it probably needs boosting from backup singers? But I love her style and what she does with her voice. She knows she's got a limited range and does not push it. Why would she? She's in it for showmanship and I applaud that. 

The thing is that I think that just like Madonna paved the way for many, many, many, many a female singer, Janet did her part too. Don't you believe me? Pop tarts are still copying her dance moves (that she got with the help of Paula Abdul) even to this day. Janet is 54 and she's been in the biz since she was literally a child and has been very influential. She has done TV, music and movies. I think that I like all of her albums, but I'm not gonna go here on  an on about each one of them. But I'm gonna tell you what I played over and over this week:



Nasty. I love this video. She was sooooo fresh! Her dance moves were flawless, and that beat! I was amazed by her male dancers and their sneaky queerness. Something in me told me they were gay and I was not going to let anybody tell me different. When we're young, we look for those little details in music and cinema, to reaffirm our sense of not being alone. This video did that for me.


Love will never do without you. Very Herb Ritts. It's sexy. It's playful and it has a super cool melody. The only downside in the video is Antonio Sabato, who was smoking hot then and now it's just another MAGAt. Thank goodness for Djimon Hounsou. I love the intimacy of the shot and it gave me a thirst for a very tall boyfriend. That, I got.


That's the way love goes. This is one of those songs that make me wanna dance very, very close to the man I love. It's just so.... sensual? And that man with Janet in the video? Dreamy. I find that her songs make me wanna jump up and down or let myself be engulfed by the arms of a guy. Really. Also, that's JLo before she was JLo. 


Got 'til it's gone. This is the song that caused all this Janet brouhaha. Janet sampled Big Yellow Taxi, by Joni Mitchell and when Upton mentioned that song I had to go look for it. There was the sample! When this song came out I liked it immediately. The video cinched it.  So I made the connection between Joni and Janet because of this song. Lowkey, Upton is contributing to my music education. It's the Wonderland Burlesque endowment for the arts scholarship that no one saw coming. 



All for you. It's kind of quintessential Janet and at the same time new. I like the lyrics and she looks fantastic in this video.  And I remember there was this guy who took me dancing and insisted that we danced to it. This song is now forever linked to him. I wonder where he is now. 


And this was when that SuperBowl incident happened and Janet was blacklisted. Remember that one? When Justin Timberlake ripped her bustier and THE WORLD saw her nipple for a fraction of a second? Well, Justin chickened out after the fact and groveled to music executives and he was forgiven. Janet? She was blacklisted. I think she's going to talk about it in an upcoming documentary. I hope she drags him. 

Justin Timberlake used Michael Jackson's voice and moves to climb to fame. He used Pharrell Williams beats and lyrics and Janet Jackson's misery to succeed. He's a worm. I hope his dick withers and falls off. He also used and mocked Britney Spears (have you watched the documentary?) and then he apologized using the 'sorry not sorry' way out. Ugh. 






Made for Now. I loved this song and I was hoping Janet would stage a comeback after it. I was so ready I started looking for concert tix. But then I did not know of the whole blacklisting thing. I was flabbergasted to learn that Les Moonves, a powerful CBS executive basically banned Janet from all the airplay that he could influence. Can you imagine being a recording artist and not having your videos played or your songs on the radio? That's what happens to women, people. Don't do anything remotely sexual because you're done. Janet paid for Timberlake's 'wardrobe malfunction' with her career. 



The thing is, I'm not the kind of fan who only likes artists because they're hot. I like artists because I like their music and their lyrics and their style. And Janet's got plenty of those. Just look how she made the children EAT IT during the Billboard Awards two years ago. That, to me, is star power. I still listen to her songs and will probably buy her next record and will deffo watch that documentary. Hope the tea she serves is hot. Fuck Justin Timberlake.

Now, let's dance. 




XOXO

Comments

  1. That little Jackson girl did pretty well for herself. She’s been in the business forever and despite the setbacks, “still she persisted.” Hit after hit, and I hope she continues to produce more material.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      She literally grew up with the whole country watching. I also hope she keeps doing music. The pandemic hit when she was going to do a world tour.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. girl's got moves! PS - check your e-mail; a package is being mailed today to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janet's moves are always highly anticipated.
      And you know what? That email hates me. Things just keep getting lost. I have not gotten anything yet. Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I liked Janet's stuff....but, "radio liked." I think I own one album. She's talented, though. Because I was on stage and had to sing and dance live, I have never been impressed by performers who lip-sync when they're doing concerts. Oh, don't get me wrong...I understand the need with those kinds of moves. I just never understood the need for those kinds of moves when fans are there (or should be) for the singing. I mean, you don't get the dancing over the radio or while listening to a CD...why is it then necessary when they're supposed to be "live" on stage? See, with singers, for me it's about the voice. That's what initially draws me to an artist, so that's what I want and expect. (I'm very old school. LOL) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she was always on the radio.
      The whole dancing and singing is a thing though. Remember Britney, who also sings in that breathy voice is also criticized by the boosting of her voice. I think that both Janet and then Brit-Brit give more of a show than voice experience. That's maybe why they are such 'radio artists'? I do like her singing voice, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. "Thank goodness for Djimon Hounsou."
    Yes. Antonio lost all of his allure when he turned MAGAt.
    I always forget some of Janet's music until I see it like this and then it's a lovely stroll down musical memory lane.
    Lastly, Justin Timberlake can fuck all the way off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Antonio is a shell of what he was. And I don't mean physically. He's still attractive, of course. But the Cheeto association has stained him.
      And all it takes is a song, right.
      Justin is such a spineless twat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I always preferred her over Michael, who I was very far from being a fan of. She and Madonna were the only two around when I was in high school and still are somewhat. Though Madonna was a bit more deeper and artistic with her work. And if you got a Janet cd they would release songs for almost two years straight. I only have Rhythm Nation, I staple in my opinion and the Velvet Rope. My four top favorites songs of hers are Go Deep, All For You, If and The Pleasure Principle.

    Now you'll have me dancing around in my underwear today to Janet songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're dancing around in your undies, --- as the the Tide commercial says --- I would very much like to see that. 😊

      Delete
    2. Oh, she'd always been her own artist.
      And it's incredible how Janet and Madonna were ALWAYS on the radio. Always. Even though they were so different, they definitely became part of the Pop culture of America (and the world). Rhythm Nation is a classic. It broke all molds by bringing social commentary again to the radio. The Velvet rope (where Got til is gone comes from ) is fantastic. I love Together Again because it reminds me of someone.
      We love the same music. I'm not surprised.
      And I agree with Big and your dancing around doing Risky Business.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. She is, and always has been, stunningly talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      Some people think of her only as a singer, but she'd done acting and done it well both on TV and in movies. I love her in Poetic Justice.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I think the same can be said for Madonna & Rihanna.

      Delete
    3. Correct. Rihanna has also branched into fashion, no?
      It's all about expressing themselves.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. ADORE. Stunning. A true icon. Legendary. I can't believe I live on the same planet as JANET. She is so much fun.. I love her grooves. She takes me where nobody else can. And with such strength. I believe everything she tells me... no questions asked. Thank you for sharing this. I ADORE. Critics? Piss off. She brings more to the table than most... and nobody goes away hungry. EVAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree.
      Her grooves are absolutely sick. She broke molds with Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam and Control and then kept doing it even when she was married to that little troll. She's sampled classic R&B and even Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon!
      I swear, Upton. If she tours again we need to GO SEE HER.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Ugh. Blogspot keeps telling me that there has been an "oops" in my trying to post a comment. I was just saying that I don't understand why Janet was blacklisted when it was Justin who tugged on her bustier.
    I remember watching Janet in Good Times as Penny's foster child and then as Willis' girlfriend in Different Strokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Blogspot does the exact same every time I comment in some blogs. Ugh.
      And of course it was Justin the one that did everything, but this is America and women pay for what men do. I think that the fact that she did not grovel and begged and pleaded like Justin did affected her. Uppity and all that, you know?

      Her appearances in those programs I'm sure inspired a whole generation of girls.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    11 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.