Go back in time

Show more

Education




I was reading Steven’s blog and he was commenting on how some kids born during the last twenty years or so have not had to go though a shitload of things lgbtq kids went through before them and I agree. I, for example never had available a show as unabashedly queer-friendly and inclusive as Sex Education in my Netflix queue. I didn't have online streaming, either. Thinks change at the speed of light when it comes to technology these days. So Sex Education is a show that talks frankly about sex and it was several queer storylines that feel as natural as the straight ones. There's sex, of course, and all the comedy that comes with sex, but there's also heartbreak and bullying. Because bullying is almost always part of life for some queer kids.

I was never seriously bullied, mind, you, even though it was obvious from an early age that I was as queer as a three dollar bill and I was way too twinky for my own good. I kind of flew under the radar for years, being the geeky kid I was, always reading and trying to get good grades. I had some major crushes on older boys and they usually kind of took me under their wing and let me hang around with them to help with their assignments. I think they served me as a shield against the bullies, given that they were older and bigger and in exchange they got to hang out with one of the kids who got good grades. Win/win.  I was pretty much ok until my last year of high school.

That last year of high school, I was mercilessly teased by a guy who did not miss one single opportunity to talk shit about me. In public. And he was very vocal about it. He never physically attached me, but he'd call me names: queer boy, gay boy, Nancy boy, fag, you name it. He seemed to gain steam when we were getting ready to go home and we got on the bus. Yeah, we took the school bus to bet home. It was catholic school, mind you. so yeah.

I made sure I never paid him any attention and that seemed to make him renew his efforts to get to me. He was loud and obnoxious. He was annoying and persistent. He was always alone in his teasing, though. Like a lone street dog barking at a passing car. Nobody ever joined him in his bullying. Many guys rolled their eyes at him but nobody stopped him, either. It was slightly pathetic, and a little bit sad, that show he put on for his own benefit, now that I look back.



While I was watching Sex Education, some those memories came back. You see, in Sex Education, which takes place during a non-specific, highly stylized and beautifully art-directed 80's-lite time, there's Eric, the tormented headmaster's son and Adam, the fabulous sidekick to Otis, the main character. Eric basically bullies Adam most of the first season because, yes, of course, he fancies him. Halfway through the season I had my suspicions.

Why is it that the bullies are usually into us and the only way they have to keep their emotions and feelings in check is by bullying us? Is it because the only way they can make us take notice of them is through harassment? Is it that they are so afraid of the boners we unintentionally provoke in them that they try to neutralize us? Internalized homophobia really is poison. This does not mean that I think that almost-forgotten bully from my high school days was into me (he may have been? I have no idea? I basically can't remember his face clearly and I never even bothered to learn his name?) but the almost desperate use of force Eric displays to make himself noticed by Adam struck a chord. I was never alone with that boy in high school, though. I have no idea if he was into me or not. Funny thing is, one thing I remember is that he was not ugly, he was just fucking obnoxious.


So in Sex Education Eric and Adam's arc and character growth are as complex and emotional as it is for any of the straight characters and that is something that sets this show apart from other shows that focus on somebody's teen years. Having queer representation on a TV series (or streaming series) is very important, IMHO. How many black kids are seeing themselves in Adam? How many confused teens are seeing themselves in Eric? How many young queer people are seeing that romance and romantic feelings are not something they'll have to live without? Feeling that we are not the ONLY ones who want to climb the most popular boy in school is normalized and a that's a relief. These characters seem fully fleshed out and we totally tend to identify with them and their cute romances. The idea that we as gay people can see ourselves reflected on the characters in a popular show in such a way implies that there's been a shift in perception and treatment of queer romance in tv series and in the media. Yay us.


Now that I kind of think about it, I have never, ever seen or heard of that bully again. It's been years and I have no idea whatever happened to him. I don't do high school reunions because I have never felt the urge to attend any. I remembered that during graduation he tried to approach me and he didn't really even register. I was absolutely busy with my friends and my sister, who was visiting. Elated that I was going to college, and I barely paid attention to the one guy who was trying to say something to me. Only later I realized it was the bully from the bus who had said something to me after the ceremony. I don't even remember what. I told you he did not register with me. I think it could be that he may have been closeted and was using bullying as a cover, as it's usually the case. Or maybe he liked me and did not know what to do with the attraction (hey, I was cute back then! Who the fuck is not cute in some way when they're eighteen??). I have no idea what his motivation was, really. But yes, queer kids nowadays have many more images of themselves in movies and tv series and see bullying and recognize for what it is: a symptom that needs to be addressed and hopefully that helps them feel less lonely, less alone in a sea of heteronormativity.

Oh, and for those of you who do have Netflix, have you checked Sex Education yet? The second season is out and I binge watched it (of course) during a weekend. You should put it in your queue. Trust me, a little education never hurt nobody....

XOXO

Comments

  1. Some bullies bully out of sadism, others out of fear of being homosexual themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. that has been demonstrated over and over...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. The clips of Adam bullying Eric reminded me so much of a guy who bullied me in 7th grade. He would shove in the hallway, call me fag under his breath and always try to frighten me in some way. Toward the end of the school year, I was in the locker room after gym class and he came in; we were alone. He shoved me against a locker and kissed me on the mouth. Then he left; he never spoke to me again or bullied me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the bully, huh? Most of them go off one day.
      And I imagine you never knew what happened to him?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. You know you’re going to cost me money, don’t you? Do you have a side job with Netflix? Sales perhaps?

    This does look very interesting. I remember being taunted because of my size. Tall and overweight. Kids are merciless. And if they don’t grow out of that they become pariahs like IMPOTUS.

    But we know we’ll always be better than them. And that’s what they’re afraid of.

    XOXO đŸ‘¨‍❤️‍đŸ’‹‍đŸ‘¨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Hey, I have some free time, so....
      So not even the tall boys were spared? But yeah, kids are the devil.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Being the bullied kid was difficult emotionally - even though it wasn't a constant regular thing. Well, unless you count my father who was pretty relentless about it. Would today's type of availability have helped. I think so. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww sorry to hear that. Family can sometimes be the worst.
      But yeah, nowadays kids have much more resources than years ago. It does get better most times.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Thank you. For some reason it felt worse that it was my own father, but I left at 18, found "my people" and never looked back. xoxo

      Delete
  5. You haven't experienced the whole gay experienced until you have been refused service in a business or restaurant. LGBTQ kids have NO idea what it was like.

    My favorite character in Sex Education is the mother. lol Casual sex at its best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes. The stories are heartbreaking. Younger generations need to know what life was BEFORE Obergefell, PreP and Grindr.
      Gillian Anderson plays the mom with gusto. I, of course, am hot for Mikael Persbrandt, Ola's dad and Gillian's paramour. Talk about deliciously sexy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I was picked on for small size and for being a delicate flower lol. Never for being thought of as gay. There was a guy that was very very feminine, liked women's shoes and pretty tops. He was mercilessly bullied by everyone, I'm surprised he didn't commit suicide to be honest it was that bad. I stood up for him and protected him... no I wish I could say that, I was almost as bad because I was terrified of being discovered.
    Excellent post Sixpence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some queer kids are super resilient. For real. Bet he's successful and pretty. Best revenge ever. And as kids, we are afraid sometimes to stand out. The sticking nail gets the hammer, huh?
      Wonder if you know what happened to him?

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I was bullied physically/mentally/emotionally by my own parents! the ones who are supposed to love you no matter what. I last physically saw them in 1988 and I "divorced" them. they will NEVER be allowed to use me as their personal doormat ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Sorry to hear that, honey. I'm glad you didn't keep them in your life. They didn't and don't deserve you.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I can honestly say I've never been bullied. I had one person comment about my being gay while in the service and he was a friend, and it wasn't derogatory. I do know there were gay kids in school who were bullied, but I wasn't. Charmed life, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's passing privilege, too. Not all gay kids suffer bullying for being gay. They don't do anything to stop it, either. They don't want to stick out. Charmed life indeed. The privileges of 'passing'.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Me and the wife love this show. We are looking forward to S2. I am grateful for shows like because I am really naive about certain LGBTQ topics. Take care, have a lovely weekend and I am sorry about the bullying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great show! Season two is as good as the first one. It's very queer friendly and at the same time it explores many other topics. And thanks! It was one of those experiences that now seems like one discordant note in a good melody.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I have to watch Sex Education.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I had known then, what I know now . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Hindsight.
      I would have done some things differently, too. But hey..

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. I was actually not picked on in school either and I was out then, I used my knows to worm my way in to a popular circle so that may have helped. Our school was pretty forward thinking though. I only ever got hassrred by one fat girl in my junior year, much like you. I have always been calculated, and will go for the juggler. Ill slap the shit of you first and ask questions later. Finally one day I went off on her, tore her to shreds, went after her weight, her looks, clothes that didn't fit and even used her families low income status against her, a Regina George meets Julia Sugarbaker rant . I felt bad later, but then it occurred to me I am the only one to have my back. She never bothered me again. Should have seen then I would go on to do drag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it feels bad sometimes. But I bet at the time she left you with no recourse but to strike back. Bet she thought you were the last in the chain so she pounced on you. Bet she was also bullied. It's a vicious circle.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcĂ³n este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atreviĂ³ a...
    14 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pillĂ³ a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *CuatricromĂ­a / PolicromĂ­a *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los Ă¡lbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canciĂ³n que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectĂ³nicos*. MĂ¡s y mĂ¡s, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los dĂ­as que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.