Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Chika



Chika came to me out of nowhere. I was listening to Coldplay's' Tiny Desk Concert (I'm not perfect) and her concert was a suggestion of the devil that is YouTube. And I'm glad I succumbed to the temptation. The one thing about Tiny Desk Concerts is that they really are unplugged. Artists cannot rely on studio witchcraft to make it work there. Only talent counts. And I think Chika is talented. And I may not be alone.

Also, it seems that she is one of those queer artists that sneak around the corner and grab you by the throat. Her delivery is smooth and her message hits gently. Well, not always gently, like when she called out Kanye West. Damn, girl. Her wordplay belies the harmonies in her music. There is a gusto in both the spoken word and the singing that makes you wanna listen more. At least it sent ME to Pandora to find more of her music. In a world of painstakingly made up artists, somebody like Chika really is a breath of fresh air. I invite you to come and listen. And if yo were here, I'd treat you with a Pisco Sour (google it) to go with that Cajon they're playing in the concert. Self-isolation needs motivation.

Enjoy.

XOXO

P.S. Black, queer and slaying? Sign me in.

Comments

  1. I never heard of her....but you know me, I'll try anything once...or do anyon, I mean anything once!

    Now off to listen........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, doing anyone (at least once) is the byline of adventurous minds.
      And I was surprised by the tiny desk concert! I immediately ran to Spotify to create a playlist.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love discovering new stuff! If you've got the voice, you don't need the studio tricks. ... Following Maddie....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the voice and the flow.
      And it's so difficult to find a queer, black woman being that successful in hip-hop!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome!
      I really like her sound. And that video of her romancing the girl?
      Gurrrrl....

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Just got here after cutting my toenails for the first time in years. Off for listen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Well, any time is a good time to do that, isn't it?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I kept waiting for the screaming guitars to kick in... oh...it's not rock & roll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's rock and roll, Dave. Oh wait. No. That's the other music style white people stole from black people....

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite an interesting sound. Thanks for the selections Me. DJ.

    Now, about your drinking...

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My drinking has been always under control. Just like Judge Janine Pirro's!

      LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Appreciate the intro. I have never heard of her before but she definitely is worth learning more about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either!
      The thing is that with the barrage of 'artists' that are on the radio there's no room for real talent. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Very talented artist.
      I really like her style.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.