Go back in time

Show more

pie-in-the-sky



Drag Race is one of my favorite reality TV shows. Basically, it is the only one I watch regularly. I don't have cable, so I make sure I watch with friends and whatnot. Yep. I actually sit with people and eat popcorn and dish about the queens and the attires and the lip sync for their lives. In front of a TV. I know, shocking. But  I think it's a show better shared with others. I have watched each and every season. So when I learned that one of the queens currently taking part on RPDR season 12 had been disqualified from the contest I was stunned. This is unchartered territory.

“In light of recent developments and Sherry Pie’s statement, Sherry Pie has been disqualified from RuPaul’s Drag Race," a spokesperson for VH1 tells Billboard via email. "Out of respect for the hard work of the other queens, VH1 will air the season as planned. Sherry will not appear in the grand finale scheduled to be filmed later this spring.”
BILLBOARD

What the hell? I was totally ready to enjoy the season. Maddie had already ranked Sherry as a top five queen, quick in wit and with an awesome wardrobe created by Florence D'Lee, who also designs for other queens in the season, previous contestants and drag queens unaffiliated to RPDS. And one of my first thoughts was that there is going to be a domino effect following the announcement by WOW during the second episode, when Sherry Pie made her entrance. And that the other queens taking part in the season may be affected. And the designers who made clothes for her. And so on. Damn.


The gist of it all is that Joey Gugliemelli (Sherry's real name) catfished many people and had them send  him videos of themselves performing sex acts and even injecting themselves with substances in order to be part of a bogus casting process. And Gugliemelli apparently publicly accepted responsibility for his actions. So yeah. Some sex predator kinda shit. In the age of the #MeToo movement. And I am worried the fact that Guglimelli fucked it up before being cast in the series, is going to affect the other queens taking part in RPDR this season.

There is a lot at stake for the queens who make it to RPDR. And many, many drag queens would absolutely love to be cast in the reality show series. Their profiles are raised, they make more money, they are able to show their potential as artists, monetize their image and perform all over America and abroad. And this glitch is bound to affect the reminding queens. The whole season may be tainted by the presence of Sherry Pie. And I'm mad about it. How dares she?

I'm mad because I think the one spoiled apple should not taint the whole batch. I know the season has already been filmed, but I hope that they edit Sherry Pie out as much as possible (and that may be a feat because she may make it all the way to the top ten). I think she should be edited out because she must not have the huge platform Drag Race will provide her. As of today, she still has more than forty thousand followers on IG. What gives? Wasn't she canceled? So no backlash? I don't know how many followers she had before the news broke but forty thousand plus followers does not sound like chopped liver. Yeah, I know some queens have many, many more (Gigi Goode has 182K, Jackie Cox 99K). But still.

I hope the producers are able to minimize Sherry's presence in the series. I really don't wanna see her. I hope the other girls get to show what they can do and the sickening looks they have obviously prepared. I have watched the first two episodes and I'm gagging with the eleganza. There seems to be a lot of talent involved in this season and I am here for it. The thing is, this development may make the selection process get more stringent, but at the same time, it may open RPDR to be more inclusive, as in casting more tans girls? I don't know. All I know is that hopefully the show will go on and we will be able to enjoy this season as we have enjoyed previous ones.

And that's my rant. Oh and fuck Joey Gugliemelli and his predatory ways.

XOXO

Comments

  1. what a sick bastard joey is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And now it's all down to 'mental health'.
      Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's quite the scandal, isn't it? Hard to see how they could edit out Sherry Pie at this late stage though, given the ensemble format of the show. I think the producers have done the best they can under the circumstances with the prominent disclaimers displayed on screen. It's all terribly unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand she will be in for the season...but if she wins or has to lipsynch...they will cut and edit her parts as much as possible...so we probably won't see her much except where they can't. I wouldn't be surprised if they even cut her runways out at the end.

      Delete
    2. It is a scandal. And I hope Maddie is right. Some people who do reviews of the episodes are not even showing her looks (which is detrimental to the people who created them and hope to get exposure!) but I rather not see her.
      Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. And she is quite funny and talented as evidenced by last week's episode.
    I wonder if they will cut her scenes, though in a group competition that might be hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She apparently is! And that's even more maddening.
      I don't think they'll go into an extensive re-editing. They may cut some of her scenes but I don't think they'll do much and just leave her out in the finale, when everybody comes out and dishes. Also, I have no idea how RuPaul will address the issue at the end.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I read also here:
    https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020/03/joey-gugliemelli-sherry-pie-drag-race/
    what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a disgrace. I hope they blur her out.
      She should not get such a huge platform.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Karma..

    I have my thoughts coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHHHH gurrl.
      I am SO waiting for this tea...!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Don't throw stones, but I don't watch Drag Race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      It's not everybody's cup of tea, Jimmy.
      It's a fun competition, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Usually it takes more than one apple before the worms start chowing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there are rumors of another incident with another queen this season.
      Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I totally missed on this scandal... Wait, there might have been another one in this season, you say? What a mess. Guess the producers went really hard while picking the (problematic) contestants, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been bad. And there were rumors of another queen who apparently, in a drunken stupor tried to get it on with her drag daughter. Did not go to beyond that but that's the rumor...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. That's disgusting and disturbing behavior. Sexual harassment at the least. Good for RuPaul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!
      She-who-must-not-be-named deserved it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I remember when Willem was kicked off. I think that may have been the last season I watched faithfully. It made me sick, because... well, Willem! A force to be reckoned with. I sometimes think the producers force issues in order to even the playing field. I envy you... having friends to eat popcorn with and dish on the queens. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willem is a fantastic drag queen! I should make a post about him.
      And RPDR is, after all, a reality TV series. And as such, it presents a view of events and things. Like one of the queens once said: it's not as you see on your TV..
      And we should do some kind of collective watching party with Drag Race!!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.