Go back in time

Show more

Fourteen



Fifty number one dance hits.
Fourteen albums.
Nine number one albums.
Eighty five singles.

Say what you may of Madge, (and I know that some of you have OPINIONS) but girl has had staying power. With singles in the eighties, the nineties, the oughts, the '10s and now the 20's she's been a presence in dance floors for almost four decades. Just think of it. Fifty number one hits in the Dance charts. People trash her, but to this day, they still dance to her songs.

I used to have all of Madonna’s albums, along with promotional singles and remixes of many of her songs. Then one day the basement where they were stored flooded and I lost most of them. I will confess that I did not take it well. Not only because I also lost many mementos of my life before and during college but because I had traveled all over with those records. Music has always been important to me and Madge has always been part of my music.

So yeah, this is another Madonna post: one song from each album. I decided to do my own Immaculate Collection in honor of Madonna: The Rusical. Here we go, my favs from her first album to her latest. And trust me, it was not easy to make up my mind. I do like my Madge.

One:



This song is more than thirty years old and it still makes me dance. It is also, IMHO, quintessential Madonna. The bare midriff, the black outfit, the crucifixes. I wore this look my own way for years. I still wear a black leather cockring as a bracelet. Few people notice. And the ones who notice, then know what to expect, hunty.

Two:


Even though some think Material Girl made Madonna, I think Like a Virgin is much more of a seminal kind of record. It did follow closely Michael Jackson's Billie Jean beat and even though it was not written by her, she made it her own. That and the fact that Mary Lambert squeezed every drop off Madonna's sense of freedom and sexuality and that I stole my grandmother's rosary to wear it after I watched the video should tell you all you need to know about this song.

Three:



Oh, this song.

Four:



Cherish has mermen. And mermen are my all-time fantasy characters. Mysterious and unreachable. Yeah, you can read that as you want. But this Bruce Weber-directed video is a feast for the eyes. Rumor has it Madge was pregnant when she filmed this video. She was luminous.

Five:



I basically love all of Erotica. I think it's one of her most brilliant albums along with Ray of Light. I used to have the Erotica book but I lost it years ago in one of my many moves. Never got over it. In Bad Girl (directed by David Finch, who went on to make features) Madonna is basically my alter ego if I were a girl. Very Looking for Mr. Goodbar (google it, it's basically 79% of the gay men I know), Madonna evokes ethos and pathos int the same measure, she lets us know that the balance between sex and power is always a tricky one. Oh, and fucking Christopher Walken is the angel figure right out of Wings of Desire. Want something more?

Six:



Express yourself, don't repress yourself. That's my fucking mantra, bitches. Human Nature is a giant rhetorical question asked to the world. This song affects me in ways other songs can't because it taps into slut-shaming and the idea of really not having to defend your choices. I have always been an ethical slut, so this is basically my national anthem. Not to mention that the video is equal parts sexy and humorous. What better combo?

Seven:



This was a difficult one. I think that Ray of Light could be Madonna's best album. I love all of the songs in it and I find them beautiful and haunting. But Nothing Really Matters stands out. For an electronic music track, it's strangely earthy and haunting. 'Give me comfort in your arms'. That lyric gives me goosebumps. The video is equal parts beautiful and puzzling. Some people see it as an ode to motherhood (obvs) but I take it as basically, my life. The last scene of her dancing in that kimono really cinches it for me. Love this song.

Eight:



When it came out, Music sounded to me like nothing Madge had put out to date. It's, in theme, very 'country' and so is this song. I found it profoundly intriguing, given Country music's penchant for perpetuating themes of machismo, white supremacy and populism. I found the video to be totally subversive and the lyrics to be really poetic and sweet. I love the image of the man trying to tame that horse. Love it.

Nine:



This being a Bond theme song, it offered a larger context in which to be observed: the fight between good and evil. I also like the tension between the Id and the Ego that it portrays. The video is dark but the music swells and rocks. It sounds to me very orchestral (as any good Bond theme would) and even though I don't feel like I want to dance to it, I like the way it sounds.

Ten:




Je suis désolé
Lo siento
Ik ben droevig
Sono spiacente
Perdóname.

I have heard those words so many times. Oh, I've been played and used by men. I'm not ashamed to recognize that. I've listened to men lying to me and telling me stories I knew were bullshit and I've stayed, like an idiot. So yeah. Dickmatized to the core. This song and video do speak to me, honey. And I love the idea of roller skating all night long while listening to disco. So there's that.

Eleven:



Hey Maddie!
I saw her perform this song on tour and I loved it even harder. The whole candy-as-metaphor-for-sex is a little heavy (it's Madonna, bitch) but the message is clear: I like my hard candy and I'll have it. Or else. No further explanation needed.

Twelve:



I do like other songs from this album but I like this video better. It's very Fellini, very Cinecittà. It does not have an American feel to it and I really like that. It's also a nostalgic ode to that time (remember?) when music actually played on the radio and there were no MP3s or Spotify. I also like that she's in control, as always. She hangs out with the whores and the pimps and the grease monkeys. Girl does not disappoint.

Thirteen:



In an eerily prescient post-apocalyptic Wisconsin, Madge gives it to me: rosaries, tooth gap, Stevie Nicks attitude and a cape. That's how I see myself in prepper garb: fingerless gloves, some eyeliner and a shotgun. Just add Tango-ing with Terrence Howard and I'll be happy. I won't be needing anything else, thank you very much.

Fourteen:



I've already written about this video, and my assessment stands: love it. I love the lyrics, I love the beat and I want Maluma to ravage me into the early hours of the morning. What else could I ask for? Nothing. That was a rhetorical question, hunty.


Honorable mentions:



Last year I watched this being played on VHS in a record store. I stopped and gawked. Really. Nobody could hold a candle to Madonna in her heyday. Nobody. When they -of course- banned this video on MTV, Madge turned around and made a pretty penny by releasing it on video. The same video they were playing in that record store. Bitch has always been genius when self-promoting and making money. Also, the video was directed by Jean Baptiste Mondino and it evokes a cool, dangerous sexuality even after all these years...



And you can dance... for inspiration!
Come on, I'm waiting...

XOXO







Comments

  1. MDNA's a legend and that's that, no doubt there.

    Think everyone likes at least a song or a few of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a legend. And I think that everybody in the last forty years has some kind of connection to a Madonna song. They may not like it, but she's intertwined with Pop culture like it or not.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. What a career. She’s an icon across time. Though I don’t know all of her song book, there are quite a few that I like. And you know how I like to dance 😜

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I do know how you like to dance.
      And even when we don't really like her, the fact is she's got staying power. She's had some very memorable songs.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. 80s & 90s madge - HELL YEAH! after that, nah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My truly fav is 80's Madonna. She was so raw!
      And I love Bedtime Stories, Sex and Ray of Light.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Hunters does an 'oldies' nite and there is always a loooong Madonna mix. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going to gay bars when I was in college and there was ALWAYS a Madonna night. Always. I danced all night.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, to each his own.
    But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOOOO
      Oh bet that hurt, Bob. Bet that hurt.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Nice, really. She had (has) a presence. I enjoy some of her stuff. I've never been much of a "dance club mix/electronica" music fan. But, really? Only 14 albums in all those years? But, for me, staying power proves there's real talent. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. She's bigger than life, even if her voice is not Whitney Houston quality. And those are her studio albums. There's been collabs, compilations and Soundtracks too. She's got hits in every decade since 1983, I think.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Well I love Madonnas music, and no denying she's an artist. And like such...its no difference than an artist. Many painters did incredible works but were off theirs rockers in life....but people still enjoyed their art. Its the same thing here. Many have a hard time separating the two. That's no doubt Madonna has done and said things that made me think she is going plum nuts....but I have Always enjoyed most of her music and videos. And I can't say I disliked her in some of her acting bits either. I too have every CD. The only song I can't take is Cherish...to sweet sounding and mushy. I went off the charts with her when Erotica and Bedtime Story came out. Two of THE strongest concept albums i think she had. And Bad Girl is one of my favorite and one of her least talked about songs. I doubt even Gaga will be around as long as Madge.

    Not off to listen to these song cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same.
      Remember when I wrote about Michael Jackson? I think many people feel the same about Madge because they find HER grating. LOL Cherish is kind of cloying but those mermen in the video!!! Yum.
      Erotica, Bedtime Story and Ray of Light are her BEST albums. Really. I also like Madonna, her first. I think my favorite Madonna song is Into The Groove, though. It makes me wanna dance.
      All pop female music acts since 1983 owe her a debt of gratitude. ALL OF THEM.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. She's a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think that's what people cannot take well?
      She's a woman. She was ambitious and she knew what she needed to do to get what she wanted. She's always been aware that she's not a strong vocalist but has always gotten the best of what she's got. She's always been loud and outspoken in what concerns her sexuality. She's always spoken her mind. What's not to dislike by the patriarchy?

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Heavy sigh. Where's the guitar line?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Impressive post, sixpence. It was like taking a trip down memory lane. I was a teenager when Madonna burst onto the scene and she definitely got my attention. I was never the biggest fan but I didn't mind watching her music videos as a young lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Mr. Shife!
      And this is a point of view I'm very interested in. A straight guy's point of view of Madonna. I have NEVER thought about it because for me, she's always been a gay icon. I would love to know more about what you thought when she came out. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Okay, so I am crushing on your blog this morning. I know Madge can be a cranky, difficult diva, but we owe her so much and she has been so brilliant - kicking down doors that have never been breached. I adore some of your picks. It's hard, isn't it... to limit it to just one. I could talk about her music all day. American Life was difficult to live through. And I have really had to take some leaps with her most recent output, but well worth it. I think Madame X, for all its many flaws, is an amazing piece of work. It was my album of the year - and I listen to a lot of stuff. I think it's a shame that as artists age they are discounted by the media at large. That has a lot to do with her recent behavior and attitude... she's pissed. I would be, too. Oh, like I said... I could talk all day. Thanks for listing all of this... I have been meaning to do something similar. Great job.

      Delete
    3. OMG I love Madge.
      And I agree with you, American Life was not what I expected, but I think she had some things to say and she said them.
      I love Madame X. I also think it's a great album. Madonna has always infused her music with the World, but this time I think she did an outstanding work.
      And you should do your own Madonna post! Looking forward to it...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 days ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.