Go back in time

Show more

Lethal



Un Año de Amor - Luz Casal

I've been bingeing on Almodovar's movies, because it's a fucking pandemic and why the hell not? I love his movies. And Amodovar's style fits my mood to a T, because lately I've been strangely emotional and prone to melodrama, just like his movies, full of technicolor splashes, scene chewing and dark humor. Some may say it's my temperament, but I think this viewing binge is happening because I'm spending too much time with myself and as you may know, I'm sometimes too introspective, at best. At worst, I'm a little obsessive.

So I ran into Miguel Bosé as Letal in a movie and there you have it. I kind of crumbled. It's funny how a few notes at the beginning of a song and the sound of a voice singing some things you could have thought can lead you down the rabbit hole of ruminating and reminiscing. I may have a listening mechanism that activates my overthinking. I got to thinking that when a relationship ends, it does take a minute to realize it has indeed ended. I imagine it's survival. We don't wanna dwell in the past. Still, the past has its ways to come up and it pops up when you least expect it. Oh, yeah. It’s the pheromone withdrawal. It's the memory of a touch, of a shared laugh. It's the many places you visited and the people you've met together. It's the lack of that emotional support you had and that's not there anymore. It's knowing that there's no going back.




Mina - Un anno d'amore (1964)

So that song brought up emotions I thought I had already processed. Silly me. That song, mind you, it's not really a reflection of anything. The lyrics are devastating and the delivery is on target, but that was not what got to me. It was not a year. It was several. And the days still go by, filled with other things and other people, even if they're virtual. I am not despondent, natch. What got to me was that nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know that there's something's missing. Like when you're bingeing on the movies of a certain Spanish director prone to overblown passion and fantastic bursts of color and suddenly you begin thinking about your love life. Yes, just like that.




Nino Ferrer - Un an d'amour - C'est irréparable (1963)


So Letal comes out in the movie (Tacones Lejanos, btw) and does her thing with that Luz Casal song and I'm suddenly basically on the verge of tears. Just like that. All the kitsch, all the drama, all the tangled lines in the movie disappear and there's only you and yourself. You realize you're in your feelings. It's funny because lately I have not been prone to melancholy or bursts of theatrics when it comes to my life. I tend to accept things for what they are and not look for motivations or hidden meanings. I thought I had it all under control. Silly me. There's no such thing.

On top of that, this sheltering in place leaves me alone with myself way too often. And that can be risky. Left to my own devices, I will overanalyze anything. I guess that's why re-watching this movie and that scene in particular and that song specifically got me all tangled up. And I thought it was gonna be all fun and laughs. Don't get me wrong. It was fun. It's always fun to explore one of your favorite movie directors and sit around and eat popcorn plopped up in a comfy sofa with your feet up and the lights just so. But that song got to me.

It's probably just a sign that's telling me that I'm still alive. That even though the world seems to have reduced its speed, things keep happening. And I get that feeling not because I only leave the house to take long walks -weather willing, of course- or for quick supermarket runs, it means that life has not stopped. Everything keeps moving. Life, feelings. Maybe this physical solitude got too metaphysical for the duration of that song. Maybe I was just having one of those days. Maybe all I need is to get over myself and snap out of it.

XOXO

P.S. On a brighter note, I can totally see Maddie doing that song and bringing the house DOWN. I volunteer to do the coaching with the Spanish. Or the Italian.




Comments

  1. What was that saying from Brokeback Mountain? I cant quit you? Well i can't . I'm a huge Pedro Almodovar fan and have many of his movies. I see my weekend plans now.

    And i loved the clips , especially that first one...and your more than welcome to coach me with spanish and Italian, and you can help with the French and Greek too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amodóvar is the shit. Really. I love his movies.
      And seriously, all I could think was how you would absolutely kill that song. You as a blond and in red? Yes, of course!!
      And honey, I don't speak Greek but I can if you like, ow!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Babe, as soon as I saw that opening line of the song I had a dreadful feeling where this post was going. And it hit me hard. All the memories and the good times. And the hardest part is that what happened was physical distance and circumstances. The feelings and emotions can’t just be turned off like a faucet.

    So yeah, it’s almost a year since this all came tumbling down. But you’re always going to be big part of my life. That will never go away.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there WERE good times. And that's what I think about. It was bound to happen, that it would end, like you said. Life, it throws us curves most times.
      And you'll always going to be part of mine, bae.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. maddie doesn't need help with french and greek; she's been practicing for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I bet that girl needs very little help. She's self-sufficient to a fault. But she would kill it as a lounge singer belting torch songs, don't you think?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. The world should be more like an Almodovar film. The colors would be saturated, everyone would be wearing red, we'd all be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and the men would be spectacular. I love Almodovar's films. High Heels, Volver, and Bad Education are my favorites after I'm So Excited. I want to be a flight attendant on a doomed flight. As for Maddie performing ala Almodovar...let me rehearse the moves so I can follow along sitting front row in the audience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes. I agree with you. The men would all be like Antonio Banderas in Átame and that is a good thing. Bad Education was excellent. The camp in I'm So Excited had me in stitches. I think he captures the absurdity in life perfectly.
      And I'd join you immediately to mirror Maddie if she does that number. Immediately.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. You need to do a post on your and Huntley's relationship. Somethings going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jimmy. For that, it would take me more than a post. It would take us about three pitchers of Sangría in your porch and a whole afternoon to unspool that one. There's a lot going on there.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Sultry and Latino. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. That's the definition of Letal.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Oh, I get it. The past, no matter how long buried, can come rushing in for good or bad. My ex pops into my head without warning and can stir up all kinds of emotion. And it doesn't take a virus pandemic forcing us to be away from society to do it. One thing that does it for me: The Moody Blues. Yep. Or the film Making Love. Or certain Neil Diamond songs from back in the day. It's how our psyches are wired, I guess. Now, go watch something brand new. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the thing about exes, right? They just need the right stimuli to pop up. Always unexpected. And for me, it's music. Ohhh Making Love. You just gave me an idea.
      And yes, I think it's the way our psyches are wired. I have a friends whose trigger is scents.
      And trust me, I've been watching a lot of stuff this pandemic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I love the singalong audience participation in the first video, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. My. God. They're like a Greek Chorus commenting on her performance. It's hilarious.
      Almodóvar is an expert managing these details.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your tribute. The singer is MINA. here in English

    Here the text in italian:

    Si può finire qui
    Ma tu davvero puoi
    Buttare via così
    Un anno d'amore
    Se adesso te ne vai
    Da domani saprai
    Un giorno com'è lungo
    E vuoto senza me
    E di notte
    E di notte
    Per non sentirti solo
    Ricorderai
    I tuoi giorni felici
    Ricorderai
    Tutti quanti I miei baci
    E capirai
    In un solo momento
    Cosa vuol dire
    Un anno d'amore
    Cosa vuol dire
    Un anno d'amore
    Lo so non servirà
    E tu mi lascerai
    Ma dimmi, tu lo sai
    Che cosa perdiamo
    Se adesso te ne vai
    Non le ritroverai
    Le cose conosciute
    Vissute
    Con me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song in Italian is totally awesome. And Mina was a badass! She shaved her eyebrows and had a baby with a married man? In the sixties? Nothing more punk rock. And that voice! Totally into her..

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I think my favorite Almodovar film has always been "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown." I saw it in a movie theater with a big, big screen. Totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women on the verge is a fantastic movie. The colors, the acting, the plot. It's quintessential Almodóvar, IMHO. I love Rossi De Palma in that movie. His movies are made for the big screen. There's so much to chew on they feel constrained on the small screen.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. I always thought Pedro Almodovar was responsible for Jamon Jamon but that is not the case. This whole self-isolation, sheltering in place has all of us having one of those days. It just affects us differently. Whatever you need to to keep your sanity then you do it. This week I am binging on Cheetos. Last week it was donuts. There is a lot more of me to love. Hang in there, sixpence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh That's Bigas Luna. And Jamón Jamón gave us a young Javier Bardem. Yum.
      And don't get me started with the eating. There's gonna be a lot more of all of us to love by the time the relax all these sheltering in place rules....

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. So much SLAYING in this post, wow.

    The first one, tho... ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.
      That whose scene is fantastic. I love Letal.

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    14 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.