Go back in time

Show more

On being green




So I've decided to talk about my plants. During this sheltering in place I've realized that I actually have quite the collection. Who knew I was one of those caring people? I have surprised myself and it’s all because I'm following Maddie’s example, of course. Her posts about little birds and botanical gardens finally got to my subconscious.

I have apparently slowly but surely accumulated quite a collection of little plants during my years living in Chicago and I think I like the green. I don't remember having had so many plants before. maybe a terrarium or two, but that was about it. Nothing serious, just something that required minimal care and brought the green inside during the cold months.
I think I like the idea of having plants. I guess it all started because one of my girls got two plants in some kind of crazy Suzy Homemaker bout of madness and then I was left to care for them because I basically could not let them just die. Maybe I think of them as my pets. Mind you, I really don't like pets. I don't have dogs or cats but apparently I do have plants.

I don't really care about having pets, btw. I'm not what you would call a 'pet person'. I have taken care of other people's pets -even for long periods of time- and my family had pets when I was a kid, but I have never felt the urge to go and rescue a doggie or kitty. And I say rescue because I would NEVER buy from puppy farms. They are absolutely horrible.


I do have some experience with -other people's- pets and they're ok, but I never quite figured out that I actually liked plants. I've realized I have accumulated these plants I have now almost by inertia. You see, I usually see a poor plant dying at the AsIs in let's say, Ikea and I usually buy it. I just can't with people who think that pets and plants are just disposable things.

I wonder, why the fuck would someone buy a pet or a plant and then just let it die? I cannot fathom it. It's that simple. But I've realized that some people are very spur-of the moment buyers and don't give a fuck about anything else besides themselves. I'm judging those idiots. Because I can. How dare they?

So back to the plants. I'm really not an expert, but for those of you who actually know about plants, you'll probably realize that they are mostly easy to care for, practically indestructible plants. And they have to be like that, because I think that even though I will not totally neglect them, I also refuse to be ruled by them.

I guess it's a character flaw. Most of the plants I have (like those air plants I keep in glass containers) were basically gifts that kept giving. I think I've bought three of those. But I really like them. They need to be misted twice a week and submerged about once a month, but I think they're super cool. They probably connect me with some atavistic need I have to live in the tropics.

As for the orchids, Some of those were rescued from Ikea. One or two were a gift. And they all stayed. I think orchids are super pretty but finicky. Like a bad boyfriend who's got you dickmatized. I still like them. I've have them adapt to my lifestyle and now they live in a corner of my living room.

I like orchids even though they apparently are notoriously temperamental and won't flower when you want them to, but I don't care. I like them without flowers, with their little air roots and big green leaves. I also think I have a pineapple plant and some succulents. And some bromeliads, I think. Your run-of-the-mill indoor plants.

I have realized I have plants not because they give me flowers, like most people do. I have them because they're alive and I cannot let them die.  Does that make sense? Maybe my one friend is right and I'm just weird.

XOXO

Comments

  1. Love all the greenery. I, too, love plants, but, sadly, I tend to kill them by over-watering or under-watering. My father once gave me a cutting of one of his plants, telling me there was no way I could kill it, and I did.
    Luckily at our house, Carlos has the green thumb so we have a sunroom filled with them. But if it were left to me ..... pots full of dead leaves and dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Oh, I've killed plenty poor little plants.
      Ohhh a sunroom? Jealous!
      That is such a goal. I think sunrooms are awesome. I'dave a little jungle situation going on in there.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I am no longer allowed to buy plants, they come here and die. I had cactus die from neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can’t have plants here. The cats tend to munch on the leaves then throw up. So all of my greenery is outside. I prefer perennials so I don’t have to keep buying stuff.

    But I saw something in this week’s Parade magazine for pre-seeded mats . I may give them a shot, since the back of the house gets full sunlight. Just have to worry about rabbits and my dogs. Oh and I’m done with a vegetable garden. Too much work for too little return these last couple years. Plus I’m getting too old đŸ˜œ

    XOXO đŸ‘¨‍❤️‍đŸ’‹‍đŸ‘¨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha smart kitties! They want all the attention.
      You should get them catnip. You'd have stoned kitties galore.
      So the rabbits were eating everything? LOL
      Old? Who?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. love green, beginning from colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally!
      I've realized that that little bit of green actually makes me feel better during the winter months. Who knew?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Nice collection of greenery and they all look happy and healthy! Alas, I do not have a green thumb myself, so I just have to enjoy other people's plants. Orchids are so beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I have managed not to kill them, which is a plus. And all these plants are very hardy. It's the only way I can keep them alive.
      Orchids are super pretty. Temperamental, but very pretty.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Your friend is wrong - You are NOT weird. Not at all. Not wanting a living thing to die is called having empathy - yes, even for plants. We're finally managing to get some to grow and thrive in our house. It's only taken us 22 years. LOL. But, now we have a ledge full of different plants and even a large Norfolk pine in the foyer. And potted flowering plans on the patio. OH, my... it just occurred to me that maybe Maddie has rubbed off on me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha He swears I am. But yeah, I adopt plants all the time.
      LOL 22 years, huh? Better late than never, they say.
      I'm going to try a potted garden this year. Wish me luck! I'm dreading it because people usually plan annuals in those and I don't really want to let them out when the cold comes.. Choices.
      Maddie is the perfect influencer!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Nope! No plants in the house. They are just something else to take care of. All the plants I have are outside on the deck or in the yard and are 'fend for youselfers'. I don't water or fertilize anything. That said, an orchid is getting ready to bloom, and the adenium is in full bloom and the hybiscus as well. The Plumeria are in full bud (inflo).

    I'm puzzled over "one of my girls"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      That's why I don't have pets. I only take care of the plants once a week. I kind of fuss with them more now that I'm working from home, though.
      And I'm kinda jealous you can grow all those plants, especially orchids, outside.

      Oh, my girls are the women who rule my life. I've had the same girlfriends for more than fifteen years and they basically tell me what to do. Seriously.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. OK! This just might be right up there as one of my favorite post from you...a small glimpse into you home!!! And I LOVE your assortment, especially all the container air pants in the glass. I have thought of getting a few air plants. I have two orchids, and they are hard to bloom again, but your right the leaves are cool. Why is your dildo in the one terrarium though? BWhahahahaha!

    I think you need to send me sexy picture to me in all that greenery so we can send one into Boys with Plants on Instagram!!!!!! I did one in flowers once. I assume you've seen that Instagram? so fun artistic, and very sexy!!!! They now published a book, I wouldn't mind having. The guys and how they pose in these pictures with plants is very creative .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Maddie!
      You were the inspiration for it. Air plants are AWESOME and so very easy to care! I have friends that have them in the kitchen and the bathroom and the care is minimal. You should try them.
      And that's not a dildo (not like it would be strange for me to have one with the plants, mind you) It's a queen figurine (very appropriate) from an oversized chess game. I inherited it years ago and I have always kept her in a planter. Don't ask why.

      And I just stalked Boys with Plants in IG. Joy!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Cien por cien de acuerdo con no soportar a la gente que trata a los seres vivos, sean animales o plantas, como "cosas" que utilizar mientras interesa y despuĂ©s tirar. Y los que valoran a los animales o a las plantas en funciĂ³n de esa utilidad. Ajjj. Este tema me pone algo rabioso, jeje, asĂ­ que dirĂ© que yo tengo siete plantas que aguantan conmigo gracias a su resistencia a la sequĂ­a, jajaja, porque de verdad que las quiero mucho pero es que ¡se me va tanto la pinza con eso del riego!...eso sĂ­, estos dĂ­as de confinamiento domiciliario, las tengo como reinas :-)
    Un abrazo grande, amigo, ¡y cuĂ­date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es algo que no puedo soportar. De verdad. Es un mal del capitalismo, el comprar y botar a toda hora, hijo.
      Y claro que tienen que ser plantas con aguante para mi tambien. Estas no ven agua sino los fines de semana. Y ellas tan tranquilas...
      Y claro, ahora con lo de que estamos en cuarentena, estan felices.
      Un abrazote, Angelito!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Green is my favorite color. It represents life and growth. Plants give life. You have to care for them... a little, but then they clean the air in your house for in return. Most people don't think of that. And don't worry about the orchids... mine are just as finicky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have realized that they add an incredible touch to any corner of the house. And I read that the snake plants are super good in a room because they clean all kinds of nasty chemical stuff from the air! Yay.
      And the orchids... really. Like bad, handsome boyfriends, definitely.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. To each their own and if that is what works for you, then you do you. My wife and I are terrible with plants. We have killed a lot but we don't mean to. I think that is why we were a little hesitant to have kids. Take care and your plants look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah
      I have killed some, too. Don't get me wrong: I had the cutest terrarium and I did something to it and all the little plants inside died in a weekend! I was traumatized.
      And if you can raise kids, plants are a picnic!
      And thanks! You too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. I love having an outdoor garden and flower beds but I don't like too many house plants. I have a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh outdoor gardens are awesome!
      One is in my dream board right now..

      XOXO

      Delete
  13. Glad to be back on your blog... Your little mini-garden is very nice, my favorite is probably the Aloe Vera plant. I just love that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping back!
      And I love aloe vera plants. So resilient!!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcĂ³n este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atreviĂ³ a...
    12 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pillĂ³ a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *CuatricromĂ­a / PolicromĂ­a *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los Ă¡lbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canciĂ³n que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectĂ³nicos*. MĂ¡s y mĂ¡s, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los dĂ­as que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.