Go back in time

Show more

I’ll show you mine. Two


So I inherited all this. Well, mostly. The table is IKEA, of course, and so is the rug. The chairs, though were given to me years ago and I’ve dragged them with me through the different iterations of my living space. They were in storage for awhile, too. Now they’ve found a home.

The bookcases did hold books at one time, but I lost most of my books in a flooded basement years ago and I have not completely recovered. So I use the bookcases for my thrifting treasures. I’ve gone full spinster now and I am collecting vintage cameras, radios and I even have an Underwood  typewriter and one of those black rotary phones!



I usually have breakfast here and sometimes dinner when someone drops by and we don’t want to go out. During this quarantine I have used it more, because I'm home more time than usual. I've folded clothes here, sorted out records, framed pictures and the such. Funny, how this COVID-19 has changed even our most basic routines.


The cameras, lunch boxes and record boxes (those square boxes have inside seven-inch singles) seem to have followed a weird progression. I love 45s. Specially those with picture sleeves? Love them! I usually go crate digging and the first crate I go over is the 45s. Who would think there was a time singles charts were driven by well, people going out and buying a single? All of these things come from thrifting.


I have found a few of those record boxes. They were all the rage when teens (because music has always been driven by teens) probably toted them to sleepover to sleepover. One day I'm going to alphabetize those records. Right now they're all in there according to the mood I was in when I listened to them. I am my own Casey Kasem.

I also have an old portable turntable. I got it for $5 because it needs work. I think it's adorable and I can imagine the joy it gave to someone. I like the idea of portable turntables because they have a hearty dose of nostalgia. Before the iPod, there were portable turntables. To tell you the truth, I have no idea where the camera thing came from. Suddenly, I realized I had gotten several. From the black boxes of the forties to the big-flash-bulb ones, to a very cute one that looks like a purse. I've wanted to get an old-fashioned Polaroid for like, forever. I may gave myself one this xmas.


The radios and the phone have been spur of the moment things. I suddenly realized how cute those radios were. Also, they would help me if the zombie apocalypse would come and there's no more internet. That or in case IMPOTUS pushes the red button in an Adderall-fueled fury.


I love that black phone, BTW. I got it in Milwaukee, in a huge thrift store that's got floors and floors of antiques and fun things. Even though I have not seen a land line connection in more than ten years, I think those phones are super cool. Oh, and I also have a thing for lunchboxes, apparently. Funny how I have realized all these things while doing this post. I'm crazy, I tell you.



The typewriter was a gift. I saw it in a thrift store and I did not have enough money to buy it. So when I got it it really was a surprise. It's an Underwood and it's funnily the same color as the portable turntable. I guess that tone of green was a thing back then. It works, but I try not to use it too much because I have no idea where I'd get typewriter ribbon at this point. 

So that's that it for today. I think that by now you have an idea of how is it that I roll, no?

XOXO

Comments

  1. love your room and your taste for vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks!
      I seem to really have gotten into the whole vintage thing, huh?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. sometime, vitage stuff works for us like a time machine

      Delete
  2. have you ever had sex on that table? and that last pix - the 45 record box above the typewriter? I HAVE THAT BOX TOO! my first picture sleeve 45 - get off my cloud, rolling stones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not exactly ON that table, but let's say it's been a great support. And OMG Anne Marie! Yay! I got that box in a tiny thrift store in St. Louis. I love The Stones. I have Paint it Black in 45.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tour part deux. You are an old soul. I love the way you’ve arranged the “curio” cabinets. The nice thing about all those items is the joy they bring you. The unfortunate thing is they all have to be dusted!

    I remember in my youth I had a Close ‘n Play. Remember those? It was a record player for 45s. Pop the record on the turntable, turn it on, close it and voila! Music! https://youtu.be/sEJuOER3-Qs
    I think it even played while you carried it. Those were such innocent days.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I do have 'dusting days', of course!
      Close 'n Play huh? So cool! I guess people felt the same when the Walkman came out. And then the iPod. Oh, and yes. those were innocent days!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Love, love, LOVE your collections! The first record player I ever had was a portable one. I have a few 45s kicking around too that I've kept for sentimental reasons, including the first one I ever bought -- "Hitchin' a Ride" by Vanity Fair which I bought for 89 cents about 50 years ago when I was an adolescent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I have turned out to be quite the magpie, no?
      I love 45s. They make the act of listening to music very present. You NEED to be your own DJ. And I had to go Google Vanity Fare! So cute! Boy bands forever!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Great collections, love the old camera, and boxes, I have this thing for boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Oh, I love boxes too! These are really rare nowadays. Well, who's got 45s this days, right? They were so cute!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I love the treasures and the old phone and cameras and such. They were created at a time when things were beautiful and functional.
    And singles! I'd forgotten singles,
    Years ago, I found an old, old alarm clack in an antique store and just had to have it; no digital, no music, just a clock and a very loud alarm bell. I love it.
    And loving the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same. Those things were made to LAST. The radios still work. One is only AM but it fucking works!
      And playing 45s is so much fun!
      Ohh you have an actual alarm clock? I used to have one and I fell asleep listening to the tick-tock sound it made.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Beautiful!
    Geez I feel like such a slob when I see this. When you show the the bedroom could you at least leave a couple of wrinkles in bedspread for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrinkles shit, he better be giving the tour naked on the bed!!!!! He can point to things from there.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha
      It's the slight OCD!
      And Maddie, you know pointing is bad manners!! Especially when one's naked. On a bed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I better question would be have you had sex on the table while wearing the mouseketeer???

    See, I live for the eclectic feel of a home. I love the love phone, I have a friend who still has one like that as a land line!!! Sit down again. My father had about 10 old vintage cameras. Yep. they too went with the records mother gave away. Maybe I better have you go to her house before she clean out again?!?!?!?

    I love the lunch boxes and the little woodmen on the top shelf. I also liked the little binoculars. I seem to have a pair also but lord knows where they are. I love it Sixpense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not ON the table, mind you.
      No, the Mouseketter hat is better kept out of harm's way. It has my name embroidered in the back. It's a memento!
      I love that phone too! And I am currently sitting. I am going to have to make a quick trip to your mom's to see what other treasures I could rescue!!!
      I have no idea where the lunch box thing came. I think I got one as a gift and it was downhill from there.
      That little woodman is from the Museum of Contemporary art. They sell that one and a bigger version!
      The little opera binoculars have their own leather case. I have used them to spy on hunky neighbors doing their lawn shirtless.
      So glad yo like it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Underwood made great typewriters, as well as a fortune making great typewriters. Here's a link which should tell you the month and year when yours was made.

    https://typewriterdatabase.com/underwood.4.typewriter-serial-number-database

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG a typewriter database? I'm going to have to find out!
      I have this thing for old technology. If I find some ribbon for that typewriter, I'm planning on typing my xmas greetings cards! Heh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Cool stuff, sixpence. Superman and Star Wars. Nice. I had quite the collection of 45s when I was a kid as I was discovering music and what made me happy. I remember one of my first ones was "Celebration' by Kool & The Gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Mr. Shife!
      I love Superman and Star Wars!
      And what happened to your 45s? You should show them to your kids. Bet they'll be left wondering how they work. Perfect chance for a physics lesson!
      Ohhh Kool and the Gang. I love 'Get Down on It'.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.