Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Noah

It's almost funny that it's been fifteen years since Noah's Arc debuted on Logo. When it came out, there was nothing like that on TV. A series about a group of gay black men directed by a gay black man, telling stories about gay black men. I had watched Queer as Folk, of course, but Noah's Arc was a totally different story.

On the one side, after Queer as Folk, there were no tv series that offered any kind of representation in what concerned gay storylines dealing with gay relationships, unless you count Will and Grace, which basically emasculated its characters to make it more palatable to middle America. On the other, there were no series dealing with relationships among and between gay men of color. The landscape was literally a whiteout.


The series aired between 2004 and 2007, I think? And it had two seasons. The series was located in LA and it dealt with Noah, (duh) and his friends dating and living their lives. It was groundbreaking, IMHO, because for the first time we were seeing gay men of color and their love lives being portrayed on the boob tube. Remember, at this time Logo was just a little niche gay channel that still had not had RuPaul's Drag Race. I think few people would remember the series, but I am one of those who got the DVDs and it's also on Amazon Prime.

Now, Patrik-Ian Polk is reuniting the cast for a 15th (!!) anniversary virtual reunion special which will stream on July 5 at  8pm EDT/ 5pm PDT on his Entertainment’s Facebook and YouTube pages. The movie I'm posting here is how the series wrapped, but the series itself I think can be found in individual clips throughout YouTube and Vimeo. It should be interesting to see the take the director has on the series in the middle of a pandemic and social upheaval dealing with Black Lives.

So if you have time, take a peek and enjoy the shenanigans and the eye candy. There's plenty of that in the series in the even will also be a fundriser for several Black LGBTQ nonprofits and charities.





Noah's Arc: Photo Shoot from Richie Williams on Vimeo.

XOXO


Just in case here’s the whole movie, which closed the series, on Vimeo. YouTube’s cuter cousin...


NOAH'S ARC: JUMPING THE BROOM from Patrik-Ian Polk/TSBB Productions on Vimeo.




Comments

  1. I need to find the time to search this out and watch the series. As much as I’d hate to, I may have to pop for Amazon. There are just too many streaming services 👿

    Thanks for the posts babe.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Oh, if you already buy stuff from Amazon from time to time you can become a Prime member and get the streaming for some coins. If not, I usually troll YouTube and Vimeo for 'alternative' versions. It's fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing this, as well as both the English and American QAF. This was groundbreaking because of the stigma of being gay in the black community, and yet I could see myself and some friends in these characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the original QAF. We used to have viewing parties and me and we would pile up in somebody's house with popcorn and soda and squeal every time they'd kiss. Noah's Arc was indeed groundbreaking. We all know the black community has taken its time to accept LGBTQ people. I thought of NA as my own Sex and the City. I was Noah.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. What a great thing to have happen for gay men of color. it helped to further acceptance. QAF I think helped the community, too, but QEFTSG I think brought further acceptance to a wider audience, whereas Will & Grace brought those characters to broadcast TV in a way that allowed straight audiences see and understand that the LGBTQ people were....Oh. My. God....people!

    Oh, and look! It appears I'm able to leave comments!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet it did open many eyes. Remember that at that time Logo was very niche, but it did reach many people. More than one gayling got to watch this and see himself portrayed. They were not alone anymore.
      QEFTSG was groundbreaking too. I loved Thom Filicia. All those tv programs made the straights realize that we are like.. everybody else.
      And yay on you getting your commenting badge back!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Never heard of it... Interesting. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on only for two seasons.
      I used to watch Logo at that time because we had cable.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. No new to me too sorry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very American, too. So there's that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I LOVED Noah's Arc!!!!!!!!!! Every guy in it was HAWT. Plus, the stories were great. I cried when LOGO changed programming to Golden Girls and crap like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they were hot.
      I loved their clothes and the stories were actually really good. Logo suddenly lost all the edge that made it unique and it became a re-run machine.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I remember watching it on and off., and actually don't remember that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cool series!
      I had never seen anything like it on TV up to that moment. I should have a private viewing party. If I can find the DVD player.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.