Go back in time

Show more

The knapsack



Maddie (girl was on FIRE) wrote a very good comment on the blog last week about a TikTok she watched that got me thinking about an exercise I did for some kind of event I attended. We were doing some workshop and in one of the breakout sessions somebody made us line up in the center of the room and started asking questions. We were supposed to take a step forward every time something did NOT have to do with us and taking one back when it did. You should have seen the faces of some people when we finished the exercise. I wish I would have taken pictures.

That's because privilege is something that some people don't usually think about because it's been institutionalized. It's systemic, at this point. It's just the way it is. This is especially true where colonialism has left its ugly mark, which is basically, most everywhere. This whole situation with Black Lives Matter should make us think and keep us affecting change. It goes beyond these weeks. It goes beyond ourselves. So what if we play a game? I'll ask you some questions, and you, in the comfort of your own quarantine, will answer them. Get some paper and pen because this is gonna go the old-fashioned way. Ready?

Here we go:

1. Add three points if you can do well in a situation and not be called a credit to your race. If that could very well happen to you add one.

2. Add one if your ancestors were forced to come to the U.S. or forced to relocate from their historical lands in the U.S., add three if that did not happen to your ancestors.

3. Add three if in most cases when you ask to speak with the person in charge you will be facing a person of your race, add one if in most cases you would not be facing a person of your race.

4. Add three points, if when you learned about the history of this country and of civilization in general your racial group was primarily represented, if not add one point.

5. Add one point if English is not your first language, add three points if it is.

6. Add three points if you can be pretty sure you will not be hassled by store security while shopping because of your race, add one point if you can’t be sure.

7. Add three points if when you use checks, credit cards or cash, you can count on your skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability, add one point if you can not count on that.

8. Add one point if in a work situation you were the lead of a project team and going to meet with a client who didn’t know you, and the client might assume that colleagues who have come along with you, whom you actually supervise, are in charge instead of you, because of your race, add three points if your race would not be likely to cause this assumption.

9. Add three points if a traffic cop pulls you over you can be pretty sure you weren’t singled out because of your race, add one point if you can’t be sure you haven’t been singled out because of race.

10. Add three points if you can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that you are unqualified and got the job because of your race, add one point if some co-workers are likely to think that.

Having fun yet?
I'm lousy at math, so you can go check what your score means if you check THIS PDF.

There are many iterations of this activity, but the one we did was one more easily done online. It's very telling that doing something like this is an outrage for some.

So points to Maddie for making me think about this. Did your score surprise you?

XOXO

Comments

  1. You know my score, babe. My knapsack is full. And a chunk of my life was spent oblivious to the fact. I grew up in Chicago in the 60s with the housing projects and parents who weren’t overtly racist, but it was there.

    I know this time is way overdue. I can only hope that we can effect the change that is needed. As they say, if not now, when? It HAS to be now. And the first step is to make sure the repuglican party becomes a thing of the past.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Growing up in the 60s I bet it was there. It still is. This revolt has certainly opened many, many eyes...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. 30 points for me. I know several PoC who have been pulled over for "driving while black". AS IF a PoC can't have a nice car! white people (like me) need to STFU and listen more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the driving while black has become basically living while black. Especially after Cheeto took office and racism took a new meaning. And you are right. It's up to white people to listen and understand the OTHER'S point of view.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. GASP...WoW... My biggest surprise of the week on CNN was when they announced Sophora was going to start donating at least 15% of its shelves to ethnic hair/skin care product. These kinds of things never cross my mind.

    I have had one interracial relationship. It lasted almost a year. It ended because I couldn't deal with what I thought were HIS insecurities about race. I loved that person I first met .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine? A country where Sephora is more aware of racial differences than the office of the president? Shame.
      And sometimes external pressures do the relationship in. That's for sure.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. My score didn't surprise me. I'm a white male in America. The only issue I have is that I have been told that, having done something, people were surprised a gay guy could do that.
    But that doesn't happen everyday all the time everywhere.
    And I know that, and I'm aware of that,and I wish that would be how it is for everyone.

    Anne Marie's last line says it all: white people (like me) need to STFU and listen more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, because even though we do have some privileges (male, cisgender, etc) we still have to fight gay stereotypes. In the XXI century. The Black Man's Burden keeps being the same, though. That knapsack is empty.
      Anne Marie is right.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6/12/2020

    I've had to do an iteration of that in the past. It's quite eye-opening. I have so many friends who are PoC - of all stripes. It's demeaning for them to say the least.
    I'm an old white dude, so my score wouldn't surprise anyone. See? There are things we ALL can hide, but the one we can't is the color of our skin. To be judged by that alone is terrible. There's been nothing on the newws about protesting now. But they need to keep going. They need to keep the pressure on the system, they need to do whatever it takes to register to vote, and then they need to vote in November. xoxo - WHK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Big, you know that not everybody has had the chance to do it. Or recognize their privilege. Just over the weekend I got into an argument with someone with this same video. For real.
      And you know that people get judged at first sight all the time. People get killed for that same reason. That's the sad part. That's why we are seeing these protests. Some are massive. If all that people get to the polls, there may be hope to send Cheeto to jail...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I didn't finish it, I could see where it was heading. At first I used to be offended by the term "white privilege" because I didn't understand what the full meaning. Then one day I watched an older black man explain that a white person could be an absolute thug but if he gets pulled over, he is automatically treated as a good person until proven otherwise. On the other hand a black man could be a professional that also helps the homeless in his spare time, and yet when he gets pulled over he is automatically thought of as a potential criminal until proven otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, White Privilege offends more than one person. I just had an argument about it this weekend. And we just saw an example of wha that old black man was telling you with the bird watcher in Central Park, who thank goodness was filming a white woman while she called the police on him. Because he asked her to leash her dog. As she should have done!
      It's incredible the number of white terrorists and white thugs who have been taken unharmed to jail and given due process and the number of black men who have been killed on the spot... That's why we are having the protests..

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'm like Bob, I did the test just to remind myself the we all have white privilege , but mu full knapsack score didn't shock me either. Even being gay, I hardly suffered my our fore mothers. It make you uncomfortable knowing this, and shouldn't take for granted what we have. But many should take these test because I'm not sure they see what they have. You hear about white privilege, but many don't think they have it till one takes a test like this.

    Thanks for you comment yesterday. That topic got some good conversations going. and you know I heart you badly. you always make my day with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the awareness what counts, of course. There's so many people walking around absolutely unaware of their privilege you'd be shocked. Also. there's people who do not WANT to know they have that privilege. I've gotten in more than one argument because of that.
      Aww thanks Maddie! Heart ya too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I got all of the points being a dumb, white guy from Idaho. Thanks for the perspective. Dave Chappelle released a new video on YouTube named 8:46 and it was great. It also made me really sad because we are such assholes to each other especially to people of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I watched Dave Chappelle's 8:46. That's the time that police officer was on Floyd's neck. Chappelle can be a tad transphobic but he does make good points. This situation has had some rich black people recognize nobody is beyond reproach.
      And we do carry our biases. But knowing is a good first step.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Revealing and thought-provoking! I agree with Anne Marie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie does make good points.
      And I think that anything that gets us thinking is GOOD!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.