Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Syd


I am Syd Stone  - LGBT / Gay Short Film from I am Syd Stone on Vimeo.

This popped up in my YouTube suggestions. Because of course, YouTube is like that stalky ex who follows you into the bathroom at your friend’s Xmas party. But back to the short film. It's about going back home to attend a high school reunion. I was like, 'great! I've never been to a high school reunion!' and sat down to watch it.




Yeah, it's true. I've never been to one of my high school reunions. I do not belong o any of those groups people form in LinkedIn or Facebook or MeetUp in which people who were high school classmates chat about.... I have no idea. I have no idea what I'd talk about with people with whom I went to high school, to be honest. Very few of them were close to me and there were some that I never really crossed three words with when we were in the same classroom. Why would I want to talk to them now?

I have seen movies about high school reunions and they mostly seem to focus on the deterioration of the former jock/cheerleader or the ugly duckling who's now super attractive or the geek who was tortured in the hallways and then bought Apple stock and is now rich.... Those movies all seem a little bit more on the side of tragedies than comedies to me.  And that's the image I have of those meetings. So, of course I have never felt the urge to go to one of my high school reunions, in case one of them becomes some kind of trial by fire by testing my patience with malarkey.

I know that for some people it is a big deal to go to one of those reunions.They prep up and look forward towards the day the event comes, sometimes with some trepidation. The ten year reunion. The twenty year reunion... can you imagine? People comparing notes and 401K predictions. Swapping photos of children or pets or houses in the countryside. I just don't see myself doing that. I've never been the one to be into contrived nostalgia or hackneyed competition.

But back to the short film. It's about a high school reunion and the things we are probably going to find out in one of those get togethers. Or maybe about the things we're not going to find anywhere else but within ourselves.

Happy viewing!

XOXO

Comments

  1. LGBT movies are never enough!
    Happy mongay & new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love me some gay movies.
      Happy mongay!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I’m not one to do the reunion thing. I’m not a joiner I guess. News flash: I wasn’t popular in school. I have looked up a couple people on LinkedIn (stalker). I’ve never really been interested going. I don’t even get mails from the alumni association anymore.

    The film was interesting. A little twist on the normal reunion trope. And the hook at the end, after finding out his friend has a little girl. Though it didn’t end as tragically as I imagined.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have never done it. And it doesn't really have to do with 'being popular' I think. It's more about not having anything in common with them neither then not now...
      And the film kinda surprised me. I did not think it would end tragically but I was not expecting that...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. "YouTube is like that stalky ex who follows you into the bathroom at your friend’s Xmas party" - LMAO! 😜😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watched the short and while it's quite sad, it's pretty realistic. 🤷‍♂️

      Delete
    2. Haha you KNOW it's true!
      And the short does reflect reality without that lens we usually apply to the men we fall for.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. You can count me among the people who has zero interest in seeing those classmates. They were assholes then, I can't fathom any reason to want to see or talk to them now. I'm still in touch with my BF who I met in 9th grade. The rest of them can go pound sand. HS was not a good time for me, even though it was my introduction to the stage and the world of dance. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes.
      I did not want to be friends with many of those people (I remember only two or three, TBH) and I'm not really in touch with anybody from HS. High School was not horrible but it was not great, either.
      But for you at least, it had some very positive repercussions...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I have never attended a high school reunion. i have acouple of friends from those days, but don't feel the need to go back and hang with the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      Totally uninterested. I can't see the lure of the HS reunion...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I'm in touch with one friend from college. No to high school reunions. I'm with X on the short film. Not enough.....more, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am still in touch with friends from college. See several during yearly conferences and stuff (not now with the pandemic, but you know what I mean). Those are different. We pick and choose them.
      And yes! LGBTQ Short films are my catnip.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.