Go back in time

Show more

Oh, James




I first read James Baldwin when I ran across Giovanni's Room in a tiny bookstore in Morgantown, West Virginia. I used to hang out with a band of cool misfits who introduced me to all things boho: vintage clothes, mid-century furniture and thrift-store hunting. We used to rummage the Goodwill and the Salvation Army (before I learned they were hateful bigots) and all kinds of thrift and second hand stores in an obsessive search of overlooked treasures. We did find some. Our apartments were full of things that made us happy without breaking the bank. Not that we had any money, mind  you.

We also basically lived in bookstores. But we did not like to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders (remember Borders? Amazon killed it) we almost always bought second hand books. We liked the tiny, cozy and wonderful mom-and-pop bookstores who had the best curated collections we had ever seen. Of course, we knew nothing about literature and were just taking classes on American and World Lit at that point. But you know when you're young you think you know everything.

In one of those tiny bookstores I found Giovanni's Room. I had taken a Women's Studies class the previous semester (of course I did) and we read some excerpts from the book and I has in awe because of the context the professor had given to the book and because it talked about homosexuality, my favorite topic. It had not yet hit me full force the realization that racism was an American institution and I was more focused on the adventures of an American abroad with a brooding foreigner. It was fascinating to me, looking through the glass at something that seemed exotic and erotic.


Years later I read Baldwin for his absolutely on point critique of American society and his never ending fight for equality. Baldwin, as a black, queer writer was ideal in this endeavor. Very few people has had a more lasting effect in the reading of both racism, religion and homophobia in America, without having to be totally confrontational about it. It may have been his style, but we also have to take into account the time when he came of age. There were no queer classes offered in college at that point and people had to create their own blueprint in order to anticipate their future.

James Baldwin was born on August 2nd, 1924 and he would have been 96 yesterday, so this post is dedicated to him. He opened my eyes to seeing my sexuality not as a defining point in my life, but as a vehicle through which I could see life. I use my being a homosexual to look at the world around me, darling. It is much more entertaining and it helps me keep on focus. I don't let being 'gay' define me (yes, I love cock, alas) but instead I make it work for me in the sense that it makes me  analyze the world and its effects on me through the lens of my loving men. I really don't understand the need to be a member of anything that does not take into account humanity as a whole.

That's why I criticize racism and homophobia (internalized and overt) and xenophobia and bigotry. Because if Baldwin taught me anything is that we have to see things through different prisms in order to understand how they affect us and others. Kind of intersectionality before there was intersectionality. Because we are not alone. Human affection and integrity are undeniably linked and they both have to do with my sexuality. I'm an ethical slut.

So, happy birthday Mr. Baldwin. Your voice still resonates. And it will resonate for generations to come, because there'll always be a gay boy who finds your writings and realizes that there's more to life than a set of well-defined abs and ten thousand followers on IG in his quest for being a good homosexual.

XOXO








And if you have Hulu/Amazon or just YouTube, make sure you stream I Am Not Your Negro. It's illuminating.

Comments

  1. His is a voice that should never be forgotten. I am not a poetry man, per se, but I have books of his poetry because they always take me there, to wherever he's speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true?
      It's the impetus behind the voice, I guess, what makes us stop and listen. Poetry can be impenetrable sometimes, but Baldwin's message manages to seep through.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. "I can't believe what you say, because I see what you do."

    I was first aware of James Baldwin with the Atlanta sit ins , in the early 60's leading up to the march on Washington DC. (I know,...I'm Jurassic). At the time, the draw to the demonstration for me
    was all the popular people performing for the event, Peter ,Paul and Mary and Joan Baez, Pete Seeger and others.

    That group of men, MLK, James Baldwin, John Lewis, Jesse Jackson... set the tone for the term "Uprising".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he was wise.
      And it's amazing you got to witness this, Jimmy. It's a privilege.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. "...more to life than a set of well-defined abs and ten thousand followers on IG in his quest for being a good homosexual." - I'd alter that final word to "human."

    Life is complicated and Baldwin brought all that innate complexity to the page with such ease. He'll remain a classic in the world of Literature and should be read along with the likes of Lillian Hellman and Noel Coward; both icons in their own right. XOXO

    P.S. Ain't nothing wrong with supporting those independent bookstores. Especially if they also stock local authors, whom might surprise you should you give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Human. Something that apparently cannot go through the heads of the bigots.
      And Baldwin was able to make it all sound so easy. His powers of observation and eloquence unparalleled.
      I have not read Coward in YEARS.
      And there's fewer and fewer of those small, independent bookstores every day. And this pandemic is not helping... *sigh*

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. A wonderful post. A mover and a shaker whom we won't see the likes of again. I have yet read that book, and I have a copy of it. Our little gay bookstore in philly, Giovanni's Room, is named after the book and in honor of James. To my knowledge it may be one of the last standing LGBTQ bookshops left.

    Sadly.
    Thanks Amazon.
    Hate the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yo should read it.
      It's so... restrained yet intense? It needs to be experienced, especially now that we cannot travel. And I've heard of Giovanni's Room! Darn Amazon. It's killed a lot of good things.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. A wonderful tribute post to a fearless truthteller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww
      Thanks, Debra!
      I just could not let the chance go by...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. What a great post babe. I’ve added I am not your negro to my Hulu watch list. Now I have to find the time to watch it.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great documentary, bae.
      You could just press play and sit down to do your thing. Samuel L. Jackson narrates it, so there's that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. You. Always blowing me away. Thanks for this very personal tribute. Touching and timely. BTW... I took Women's Study courses, too and was sort of a faculty darling, briefly for a paper I wrote called: The Kidnapping of Lorraine Hansberry. I went to all sorts of protests with those women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Upton.
      You're too nice. And I just post what I see.
      And Sweet Lorraine and James were friends for years, right? And nothing better than protesting with militant women. Just like Lorraine.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I Maddie mentioned Giovanni's Room in Philly, for years it was the only place providing access to gay literature, a fitting tribute to Baldwin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it.
      I've never been in Philly long enough to visit. And now, it may take me longer. That is, if this pandemic does not do away with it. Hopefully, it'll stand. It cannot just disappear.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El último ángel - Con la venia de le lectore que estaba encantade con la heterosorna, hago una pausa. El 5 de agosto de 2012 mis hermanas y yo estábamos almorzando en la ...
    1 day ago
  • AGOSTO "UNPLUGGED" - Pasada la primera mitad del mes con los calores y el momento *eclipse*, que acaparó la atención en medio del ralentí y la calma chicha del verano, empeza...
    3 days ago
  • Compañías invisibles - Hoy amaneció lloviendo. La casa todavía estaba envuelta en ese silencio suave, que sólo conocen las mañanas de lluvia. La cafetera comenzó a cantar en la...
    4 weeks ago
  • Mirando la vuelta - [image: El showman, Abelardo De La Espriella: los actos de su campaña - La Silla Vacía] [image: Consejo Gremial rechaza invitación de Cepeda a dialoga...
    2 months ago
  • - Hoy camine algunas calles de la ciudad que habito, podría decirse que aunque la habito me siento ajeno, basta caminar o mirar las montañas para darse cuen...
    7 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.