Go back in time

Show more

I’ll show you mine. Six

 



A few posts back, John was talking about his own little corner. Because I live in a basement garden apartment lower level, I have all kinds of weird corners and walls that are just, well, THERE. I have some weird empty spaces and doors pop up when you least expect them. You'd think I live in one of those New York apartments that have been chopped off a bigger house. It's all fun and games until you realize that one, nothing will work as it works in a 'normal' house and two, that you end up creating little vignettes of things that for an innocent spectator seem very sui generis. 

Take for example this wall here. It's in the middle of nowhere and just off my kitchen giant open pantry shelving unit with tv snacks. It's in a kind of hallway but it's not. It's just... there. And it has all these objects that would tell the unaware spectator that  I am either Hindu or Buddhist or a combo of both. And I am neither. Yes, there's a Buddha. Yes, there's a Ganesh. Yes, that's an embroidered piece of artwork that looks like it was part of a very nice Sari. Yes, the little rug is from Tibet. But they were all gifts that I got at one time or another. Do I like them? Yes, of course I do. But I'm not a spiritual person. Those things mean something because they remind me of the people who gave them to me. I guess I also like knicknacks. And plants. 



Oh. Here. This is another wall (or portion of wall) in the middle of nowhere. It was empty until I discovered I had a stash of things I have gotten at the Museum of Contemporary Art last year when Virgil Abloh had a show there and we had to go twice because it was so crowded (those were the days when we could lose ourselves in a crowd, natch). It was a great show, and apparently I got a lot of shit there, too. I didn't realize it until I went looking for some shirts and found the poster, the actual invite to the show and some postcards, all related to the exhibit. So I put them all together, along with the little tote bags they gave us and put them on the wall. Oh, that round thing? It's a clock. It says TEMPORARY. And it's part of a collab Virgil put together with IKEA. I think I also have a toolbox and some huge IKEA bags I got that day. There were other cool things but they were fucking gone at ten thirty in the morning, when I made it into the store. I guess I'm not the only one in Chicago who likes Virgil Abloh. 



Oh. Here. Yes, I am a twelve year old girl. So what? I got the teepee in a dare and it was all downhill from there. You see, I had teepees when I was a little boy because I was a very introspective, solitary child. I loved going into my teepee and read or listen to the radio or just chill. I did not need to always be jumping around like a deranged mountain goat. So I got myself a teepee. Because I can. Yes, I use this one. Yes, those are coloring books and magazines. Yes, that turntable works. Yes, those are 45's and yes, I listen to them. You are missing the collection of bunnies I wave in the right corner, though. But I hope you got a gander at the sock monkey socks. I  know. I'm weird. And I like it. 


XOXOX


Comments

  1. Weird? No way. Eclectic and adorable? Totally! It seems you have so much more out than you did in the apartment. And you have a flair for decorating. The way you’ve grouped collections is wonderful.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.
      The space is just so different! The apartment was stacked. Here everything is in one floor...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love your weird empty off-the-beaten path-kinda-nowhere spots.
    As for your "those things mean something because they remind me of the people who gave them to me" non-spirituality, I might argue that these things keep the spirit of the gift-givers close to you. And that ain't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Thanks, Bob. And you are right! All those things do keep the spirit of the people who gave them to me...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. How wonderfully eclectic. And cool. The coolness abounds. The creativity oozes. The way you put things together is great - few people are able to accomplish that. The 45s...well, you know my thoughts there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Thanks, Big. I sometimes think I have way too much 'stuff'. I've tried to Marie Kondo my life to no avail..
      And I love my 45s!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. You're wonderful. Love these peeks into your life. So creative. And insightful. I love these manifestations of your spirit that you populate your environment with... very revealing. Vulnerability is the best kind of risk taking, I think. Thanks for letting us in. You have such good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... Upton!
      Thanks!
      I think I agree with you. I think people kind of see another side of us when we show them where and how we live...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. How Wonderful! You have a true sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Jimmy.
      Glad you like it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Love that teepee! It's a shrine to your childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!
      I've always remembered the teepee days as fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. So you can come to the Woods then and put up a tee pee!!!!!! No wonder you loved them when I posted them in that one post. I love you apartment, garden or otherwise. It's so you I think... not even having met you. And I think something is wrong with someone if they don't have any whismy in their home. I also like you have a dimmer....perfect to set the mood for those kissing sessions. I love the art! Walls like which you point out are excellent for art installations like you have done. Now......foot taps.......do we get to see you in the shower for the bathroom segment?!?!?!?!?!? Huntly , Anne Marie, Jimmy and Uptonking will agree with me , bwahahahahaha, haaaaaaaa ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I know! I already have my tent!
      And Yes, I loved those teepees that you posted exactly for this reason. And I love that you love my space! I think yo have flawless taste.
      And I do have a dimmer! It came with the space, though. I cannot claim that one.
      Nope. No shower pics this time. Sorry!
      LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. you have some mighty cool kickass shit! and all the fairy lights! I would love to sit in your sanctuary with a glass of wine and just shoot the breeze for 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Anne Marie.
      We would certainly enjoy that wine! My treat!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Your place is unique! It's so individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I think it's a little crowded at times, but hey.
      I really enjoy it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Buddhas are great! So are Teepees. What a great way to celebrate your life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think exactly the same!
      And thanks!

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. I love that you have a teepee. So awesome, Sixpence. Thanks for sharing once again. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I guess I had to show it to the world. As I mentioned, I'm a tween through and through.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.