Go back in time

Show more

Oh, visibility...





I first had a serious relationship with a bisexual man when I was in college. Yep. it sounds like a trope, but it's true. He was in his third year and I was a freshman. I thought he was very handsome but I had heard he had a girlfriend and I'd written him off as straight. I had had dalliances with ‘straight’ men when I was younger and I was fed up with their shenanigans. Those men were ok for a quick dip, but I was not interested in them. They bored me.  Then one day this man was hanging out with my friends and we stroke up a conversation. He was a riot. Quick, funny, sarcastic, smart. He made me laugh a lot. He also kissed me when we said goodnight and asked me if he could call me the next day. I gave him my number. He did call. 

We basically dated for a year. One week after I gave him my number, he took me to a tiny motel downtown and made me feel like I was the only fucking boy in the world. It was awesome. He also introduced me to Tracy Chapman, prostate stimulation and spooning. He was a lot of fun to be around. We used to go to the top floor of my building and listen to music while he smoked pot and kissed me for hours. We broke up about a year after that first date.  Afterwards, I heard he had gone back to the girl he left for me. She was pregnant with his child the last time I heard of him. Sometimes I wonder where he is now. 

I think Bisexuals are kind of stereotyped as omnivorous beasts of burden who would fuck a lamppost if left to their own devices. I couldn't disagree more. I've had relationships with several bisexual men and when they were with me we always set the rules of the game from the beginning. When I was with one of them I WAS with them. Seriously. I even met one guy’s ex-wives (two) and his children. I lived with one for almost two years. I had a relationship with a bisexual man for I don't know, maybe seven years? I have always known where I stand with bisexual men. I always make sure where I stand with any man I have a relationship with, that is. I need to know what my options are. It doesn't matter if the guy is bi or gay. That always needs to be clear. 




I think that people misinterpret what they see and hear about bisexuals. Bisexuals are not Bi-now-Gay later. They are bisexual. They are not sex fiends (my favorite kind of fiends, btw) but the ones I've dated have been great in bed, and they are not unfaithful by nature. They love who they love when they're in love with them. I think all that badmouthing of bisexuals is bullshit and insecurity disguised as a warning. As with everything, there's shades of bisexuality. I suspect that many men who are on the 'down low' are bisexual. There's many men who have been married early in life and then realized that they have fallen in love with another man. There's men who have had homosexual relationships all their life and then fall for a girl. And they're still bisexual. Sexual orientation is in a continuum, people. Men who claim they have been 'cured' of their homosexuality are most probably bisexual and have chosen not to act on their attraction to men. Pray away the gay does not work, natch.

I also agree with Michael's idea that the term Bi does not mean that they are attracted to just two genders or sexes. The term focuses on the binary because we are used to the binary. The definition of bisexual differs from person to person and it's not transphobic or exclusionary. Being bisexual is also NOT pansexual. That's something different. Pansexuals are people who are attracted to people regardless of their sex or gender. There's semantics involved, people! Also, bisexuals can (and probably will) have long (and short) term relationships with men or/and women during their lives. A girl I met while she was in a relationship with another girl married a guy after she broke up with her girlfriend. I did not bat an eyelash when I was invited to the wedding because those things happen, people. 

I don't understand the whole brouhaha about bisexuals. I really don't. What I do know I’d that everybody has got an opinion about them. Anyway, it's Bi visibility week, so... if you know a bisexual, tell them to celebrate. If you are a bisexual, here’s to you, sexy beast. 

XOXO








Comments

  1. Sexuality is complicated. We have label upon label. Maybe be one day we can just say we are attracted to people. Regardless of the gender, race, ethnicity, or whatever. But I do draw the line at political party these days.

    Happy Bi Week!

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! See, I've posted that on my blog over and over. We are not homosexual or heterosexual, we just...sexual.

      Delete
    2. But people still need their little labels...
      And yes, Big. We are basically sexual and that's the gist of it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Everyone thinks of bisexuality as a synchronic condition, but one can also be diachronically bisexual, moving from predominantly heterosexual periods to predominantly homosexual periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally true.
      People are so stuck in the binary that they cannot see the forest for the trees...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Even the LGTQ+ community--I purposely left out the B--sometimes don't understand bisexuality. I, too, have thought it was a stop on the train to Gay Town, but, as I've grown, gulp, older, I realized that if I had asked people to accept me as gay, I should accept people as Bi.
    And really, what difference does it make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, people in the community constantly demonize/misunderstand what being bisexual really is. People fear what they don't know. Ignorance is not bliss, after all...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. That graph spells it out, doesn't it? I once told a gay friend (yes, friend - no sex involved) that my bisexuality wasn't that difficult to understand: It was a matter of who attracted me and who I was "comfortable" with. I went from relationship to relationship, from men to women, back to men, back to women..... And I still like men. I used to be very tight-lipped about it - though I'm sure most of my friends figured it out. Though I've been married (34 years as of Sept 19) for so long, it doesn't mean I'm heterosexual. I think if someone were to ask me if I'm straight, my answer would be, "For now." LOL xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Big, it's the same when we try to explain some cis hetero guy that we really like dick. It's almost impossible sometimes to explain attraction.
      Most Bi men really don't talk about their bisexuality. They just let other people assume they're gay or straight, depending on the relationship they have.
      It's a pity, though. People being so fixed on labels....

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Steve over at AllNaturalandMore (http://stevexs-allnatural.blogspot.com/) has posted a graphic with a bunch of Labels people can use to announce themselves. I wish we would stop using any kind of label. Just give me the freedom to love who I want to love, when I want to love, to fuck who I want to fuck, when I want to fuck. 😊❤ xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think bisexual people have done a great job educating and re-educating many people in the LGBTQ community, where many myths and misperceptions still exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      I think that because so many well-known people and celebrities have come out as bisexual, the public perception has changed. Representation matters...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I only ever dated one Bi guy. He was so darn cute. A tall blonde alternative boy, with a huge cock. He was very sweet and but at the time I was 24 and he was 20. He would often meet me after the club would let out and head to my place. He often was with his girlfriend also, which bugged me. I'm pretty sure he was having sex with both of us. I couldn't handle the "light switch" with her and I so I ended it after a year. But every time we would run into each other. we would end up in bed.

    He owned a hair salon in London for some time before moving back to the states and settling in Flordia. He still has a alterative/ emo look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh he sounds dreamy!
      I feel you about the light switch. It takes a minute to get used to it, because we are all used to the binary (and we feel possessive when we find a good lay). But yes, bi men are delicious in bed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I am grateful that our paths crossed in the blogging universe, Sixpence. Most of the time I walk away more knowledgeable about subjects that I know little or nothing about. I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Thanks, Mr. Shife! Glad to be of service!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. labels are only relevant if you need them to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labels are reductive.
      I find that the need to pigeonhole everybody is exhausting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I think we can call ourselves whatever we want... just as long as we are true to ourselves and live unafraid. My one long-term with a bi-sexual was one of my favorite relationships, ever. I messed it up, but he was the kindest, sweetest, hardest-working man I ever met. Years later, after we'd broken up - I tried to rescue him, but he just seemed resigned to dying. A beautiful person. But you can't help someone who doesn't want help. At least that's what I tell myself. I dunno. That's a heavy one to carry around. Thanks for this post. I love that we have become so fluid with sexuality. I love that how we term relationships can be so individualized and defy labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the truth.
      Being true to ourselves is essential. The label? That's superfluous.
      And I'm sorry about your ex. Sounds like he was going through a rough time.


      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.