Go back in time

Show more

Fresh



Oh, why this topic today, you'd wonder? Well, it's Election Day and I need to chill. I am so fucking stressed out I could spit. The fate of the country rests on a few states that will decide who the president of the United States is for the next four years. And I can't take the pressure. So I'll probably stay away from the crazy 24/7 news cycle and social media. I don't want Hair Furor's stupidity get the best of me today. So I'm going to write about my skin regime, just like Sam Smith did for Vogue. Because why not? BTW, I totally adore Sam and I think they're awesome.

After having posted about grooming in the past, I had recently decided that I was going to take care of my skin. And by recently, I mean I made this decision sometime last year.  After having watched one and a million videos of people taking care of their skin, I gave in and decided to create my own 'beauty' routine. Oh, you don't care about those things? Bear with me. It's been fun and I've discovered the whole routine works like a charm. The thing is, I was roaming Trader Joe's (as one does on Sundays) and I ran into their personal care section. It's not Sephora, mind you, but still, I was curious. I decided to go for the easiest combo, which are the products I'm going to tell you about here. It's not a K-Pop 10-step routine, but it works for me.


I decided to go for the tea tree oil face wash (they have several options), because apparently I'm still a fucking teen and I get the more than occasional pimple (yeah, I thought those ended once you turned sixteen, but no). I also have an oily T-zone (forehead and nose) and this has helped me control the oil without drying me like a prune. It also smells super nice and it leaves my skin clean and not squeaky. Tea tree oil is apparently used because it has antibacterial qualities and I can say it works for me. Besides, it's $6. Yes, I'm cheap.


After I wash my face (morning and night) I use the Rose Water facial toner. Apparently, it's the thing to do. I have heard a million influencers swear by a toner after washing your face, so I said, why not? It's also $3.99 so I put it in my cart right away. I can also remember that my maternal grandma SWORE rose water   was the best thing for the skin, so yes. I got it. It feels fresh and it doesn't have an overpowering perfume, so I enjoy it.





According to the powers that be on YouTube, I was missing the whole moisturizing part of the routine, but I am not going out these days, so I tried the Moisture Boost Serum instead of a full-on moisturizer. It was a total experiment, because I had decided I wanted a moisturizer but the idea of putting something oily on my skin was a no-no. Pimples, remember?  I had thought about a moisturizer because I use an electric razor and I do feel my face is kinda dry after I'm done, so a moisturizer was the solution. It's good when the moisturizer has some SPF in it, but I was starting with the basics, so the serum it was.  And the good thing about it (different to a conventional moisturizer and also lighter) is that it's absorbed immediately. If you have done after-shave, this is pretty much like it, without the stinging.  It's $8, so I may try it again.


Oh, I also got this trio like three months ago and I really liked it. Right now I only have the Clay mask, the other two are gone. They feel really nice on the skin and even though I often forget I have them in my bathroom cabinet. But when I do remember I have them I do use them. It's a great feeling. I just put the mask on and chill. It's fantastic. Also, people are not to talk to me when I have a face mask on, which is very conductive to introspection and blogging, natch. I think the three were like $15 so it was a good deal.

So what say you? Willing to try one or two of these personal care products? I know some of you like to think you're Tarzan and you don't need any of these potions, but it's not the THING, but what the thing does for you: it creates a moment in which you are keeping your own company and you are doing something for yourself. I know, all these beauty products may not be the panacea their makers promise, but they feel GOOD. They make me feel good. I have discovered that the five- eight minute routine I have carved for myself every day kind of makes me concentrate on me, myself and I and I literally slow down and forget everything else if even for a few minutes. I listen to music, concentrate on something that takes me out of the madness of life it and helps me stay fresh. And in days like today, that's something we all need.

XOXO

P.S. I don't really do makeup, but after watching Sam, I think I'm gonna try a lip balm and maybe a brow pen to keep my brows under control. And maybe some of that transparent mascara? Grooming is good, even if it's to stay at home or do a quick run to go get gas. Yeah, I may try and get some of that when I go back to Sephora. That would give me a reason to leave the house, too. Here's for new beginnings!

Comments

  1. Oooh. I love a good skin regimen. One of my moisturizers is the good old fashioned Oil of Olay. But your wash routine sounds amazing (I use the Kroger's version of St Ive's Apricot wash--I'm extremely cheap too). The next time I'm in Trader Joe's I'm going to pick those items up. My partner got me a Body Shop gift card for one anniversary. And while those items smelled nice, I didn't really see a real change. I also have a bunch of face masks, which I will continue to use. Thanks for the tip and for talking about everything but the election.
    I adore Sam Smith too and I'm going to purchase his newly released album on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same!
      And I've heard Oil of Olay is the ish. Very effective and not too expensive. What's not to like? I've used the Apricot Scrub. Some people find it too grating but it works for me. It's also all natural, natch.
      Face masks are soooo relaxing! I'm trying to do one at least once every few weeks.
      And I also got their new album! So good.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Change is good. Try a little makeup, if you like it and it makes you feel good, go for it.
    PS Heard Sam's new song on Graham Norton last week and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think I will.
      I think the brow wax thing could be fun. And now I want some nice lip balm!

      Ohhh they sang Diamonds and were awesome. They were so sweet afterwards, too, during the little interview...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I use a bit of Jergens hand lotion on my face after a shower to moisturize my face. That's it. That's my entire skin care regime for the last, oh I don't know, 50 years. Works just fine. Don't get sucked into spending a fortune on fancy-shmancy products that don't really do anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jergens. I still have some Jergens body lotion I got last year for xmas and it's essential in winter. Heating just dries my skin like crazy.
      And that's what I like about supermarket products: they're on the cheap side and deliver just the same.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. No make-up here either. I did a lot of stage work while in college and make-up is one of the things I decided I don't like. I'm going to try and stay away from today's news cycle, too. They're going to be kicking dead horses all over the place until polls start closing, and that's about my bed time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh stage makeup is HEAVY. I feel you there.
      And I am staying away from news today too. The Orange Idiot is doing all kinds of stupid shit and I refuse to stress until there's a consensus.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Grooming keeps us from getting depressed. Seriously. Take a shower and you will feel better. Shave something, and you will feel better. Moisturize and drink water... you will feel better. And happier. I saw this and thought you had the inside scoop on Sam's new CD (do we call them that anymore?) coming out this month. So excited. Someone else has one coming out, too. That I am going to order. Why is my memory so bad. Hang on, I will go look. It was in Rolling Stone. One sec...

    Oh, Kylie... Minogue! It's called 'Disco'. I seriously almost shot a load in my pants when I read that it was called 'Disco'. So excited. She is one of my favorite Disney princesses (my life, my disneyland). Kizzes. Have a fabulous day. And yes... I have had way too much coffee... why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Upton
      It's become my go-to when I'm stressed. Which is very often now with the pandemic and the elections. It gives me time to think about nothing and chill. Sam's new CD is awesome. I got it digital but I want the CD so I guess I'll drop by Target to get it.
      Love Kylie! She's a goddess!!
      And I like you caffeinated! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. One wishes these products existed for men back when dirt and I were young. And that one wouldn't have been ridiculed (or worse) for using them. My how some things for men have progressed....
    Speaking of progress, and progressive things. We have champagne at the ready to toast and celebrate, and a bottle of whiskey to pass back and forth if things go south. But, I am a political junkie...okay, there, I admitted it. So, I will be glued to the news and pacing. I may run out to the nearest Dispensary and buy something so as to not wear a path through the flooring. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Big, yes!
      The role of masculinity and the perception that men 'don't need anything' to stay healthy and attractive has changed. Thank goodness!
      And I have not really looked at how things are going with the election. It's going to come down to a few states and the fuckery will go on for awhile.
      And now I wish I had some edibles at home. That would be awesome.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I have naturally oily skin, even at age 66. no soap used here. a wipe down with pure witch hazel 2-3 times a day and a light moisturizer in the winter keeps me pretty. and NO MAKEUP EVER; I'm allergic to chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gurl. Same.
      But oily skin will keep the wrinkles away longer. Points!
      And I've heard people swear by witch hazel! They say it's the BEST tonic ever.
      You've got it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I have allergic eczema. My skin care is African Black Soap and CeraVe cream. Never vary from success!

    Like Whack, above...a good Prosecco and scotch is on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're right in sync with the influencers.
      Everybody online swears by the CeraVe products. They're apparently super-effective.
      And a little alcohol never hurt anybody... I'm going to need some to weather this vote counting, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tips, Sixpence. My skin is a hot mess right now because my CPAP machine dries out all of the skin around my nose but it gets better because I use retin A that makes the rest of my skin dry and flaky. Cell turnover is so much fun. Anyway I need help in the moisturizing department and I will check this stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Mr. Shife!
      You have got to get something to help you with that. I'm surprised your physician didn't suggest something. You should get a light moisturizer you can use after shaving for the day and maybe something easily absorbed for the night, especially because you use Retin A.
      You can start with Trader Joe's and move on to something more sophisticated if needed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. he's so beautiful & sexy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.