Go back in time

Show more

double feature picture show



Ok, so after all that romance, and to keep the spirit of the season going, I thought it would be good to get into some holiday camp and where better to find it than with Ben DeLa Crème and Jinkx Monsoon? These two are both super talented Drag artists (if you have not seen their Death Becomes Her, get thee to YouTube and be ready to cackle!) and they make the most of this crazy combo of classic xmas special and fabulous drag show. With a naked Jesus, eggnog that talks in the voice of Drag legend Varla Jean Merman, tap dancing in a burlap sack and myriad gender expressions on the screen, I had a blast. This is not your mom's holiday special and I think you'll like it.

I watched it on Hulu, but you can click on that link I gave you and watch it on their own Vimeo on demand page. It's perfect for a queer night at home. So get your drinks ready and be prepared to howl with laughter with these girls. 



The fourth holiday movie I'm talking about in this blog is one that left me a tiny little bit conflicted. Why? Because I was hoping the heroine would end up with someone else. Yep.  Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad it had a happy ending (it's a holiday movie, after all) but I do have issues with the closet and in this movie Abby (played by Kristen Stewart, redeeming herself from those horrible, terrible, no good Twilight movies) and Harper (Mackenzie Davies) go through the gamut comedy of errors situations when Harper, in a moment of romantic blindness invites Abby to go home with her for the holidays.

The catch? Harper is not out to her family. So you can imagine all the pretzel-like situations in which they find themselves. From convincing Harper parents that they're 'roommates' to an interrogation by mall cops. Oh, but the movie, an ensemble piece put together by Cléa Duvall (But I'm a Cheerleader!) is lots of fun. Dan Levy plays the Lad Pal (there's a hysterical situation with a fish) who comes to the rescue at the end of the movie. Victor Garber (DADDY!) plays the dad and Aubrey Plaza plays the ex-girlfriend. How queer is that? And Happiest Season somehow reminded me of The Family Stone, another of my fav holiday movies. 

Happiest Season was supposed to be a mainstream release but COVID-19 happened and it went to Hulu. And I think it's been quite successful there. So if you have Hulu (or know someone who's got Hulu) make sure they 'share' the movie with you. It's totally worth the viewing. Who knew 2020 was gonna bring all these queer-inclusive holiday movies? I, for one, am very happy. Queering the holidays was sorely due. 

So whether you like Drag artists singing and dancing and camping it up to high heavens or holiday movies with a tender heart, you have your pick this season. I'm sure Netflix (A New York Christmas Wedding, Let it Snow) and Amazon have other offerings, so if you are in the mood for some gay during your holidays, this year apparently you're in luck. So go watch something.  And maybe they may give us more gay movies and I'll have something to write about next year.

Now, where's that eggnog?

XOXO

Comments

  1. I’m glad these are on Hulu. I’ll have to look them up over the next couple of days leading into Christmas.

    Thanks Mr. Movie Reviewer.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watched Jinx & Ben. What a hoot! This should be required holiday viewing!

      Delete
    2. Also watched The Happiest Season. A cute movie, kind of formulaic. The broken family driven to perfection seems pretty realistic. I’d give it ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️.

      Delete
    3. Yay!
      Aren't Jinkx and DeLa super fun? I hope they get the appreciation they deserve.
      And Happiest Season does fare well as a holiday-themed movie. But didn't you wish she'd ended up with the ex for a tiny second??

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your movie suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prego, Xersex!
      Hope you are able to watch one or both of those!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Want some more holiday camp? Watch "Connie and Carla." One of the funniest movies I've seen. It'll make you guffaw.... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      I'm gonna make sure I hunt that one down, Big!
      Love me some campy movies....

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. make the yuletide GAY! my spiked eggnog is in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Isn't any other way to enjoy the yuletide?
      Ohhh spiked eggnog sounds like FUN!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Had to stop watching Holiday Season trailer... because I now TOTALLY want to see it. What a great cast. Can't wait. No, I don't have Hulu... but maybe I can convince the boyfriend to sign up for a free trial or something (can you watch that on a television?). I dunno. Tech stupid, here. And will be watching Jinx and DeLa. I was introduced to Jinx when she subbed for an ailing (glug, glug) Willam on Xmas show a while ago. Loved her. Charming and great theatrical chops. Total professional. Thanks for suggestions, hon. You and me... we would make great tee-bee watching biddies in our old age... (well, at least YOU have some catching up to do. I am sort of already there, sigh). Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A free trial is the way to go. Also, you can do it with a Hulu gift card in some of the new smart TVs.
      Jinkx and DeLa are a riot. And I remember you mentioned her subbing for Willam. And I'd LOVE to watch TV with you! I can just imagine the shenanigans!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. DeLa and Jinkx?Say.No.More!

    This is not a rosary. Gurl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah
      Oh, that bit with the rosary is just too good.
      So worth the time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I don't have Hulu at the moment. I rotate around with Here, Hulu and Dekkoo. However, one of my all time favorite movies is on Hulu,.....My Brilliant Career. Hhmm??....that could be my New Years resolution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh My Brilliant Career, huh? Gotta put it in my queue too.
      And if you have an account all you have to do is get a Hulu gift card and stream for the duration. These days à la carte works too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. The Jinkx and DeLa looks very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was a riot!
      Actually very well produced. And both girls can sing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Jinkxx and Ben are by far two of the better and more talented in the Congress of drag race...and probably more respected by the old guard queens. I adore both of them and have seen Death Becomes Her. I have caught most of Jinkk's endeavors. I also caught Bunnys fowl and filthy show....although she got a little more political then she should have. She slammed dems and repukians both. She is not a happy queen right now. But once that was out of the way the rest was great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they totally are super talented. Both of them.
    When Jinkx won I was very happy. Wasn't Death Becomes Her an absolute riot with them?
    I saw Jinkx's cabaret show. Super cool. And Lady Bunny is VERY opinionated. She does slam the Dems when they deserve it, though. But her take on the Repugs is right on. She's an opinionated queen, that's for sure.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happiest Season is in my queue. I have been a huge fan of Dan Levy. Perhaps this quiet Christmas Eve, I will get to mark it as watched!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was very cool. Holiday movie but worth it. Dan Levy is super funny here. It would be perfect for that!

      XoXo

      Delete
  12. Where do my comments go???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re here!
      It’s just that it’s an older post.

      XoXo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.