Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Williams


Ok, so here’s the deal: I have come to the realization that we all need to take care of our skin. And I'm one of those people who have never fussed over beauty products or routines. Plain soap and water and that was it. But lately I have discovered the awesome feeling of dedicating time to... myself. Undiluted solipsism seems to be its own reward, bae. Especially during this pandemic. I've decided that if I don't make sure I have some 'ME' time, I may be giving myself (and others) a burnout version of myself. And that's just not cool. Don't you think?

But apparently I'm not alone. All kinds of men are making a statement about self-care (and not only gay men, apparently..) and I'm here for it. When I found out that Pharrell Williams had done a video for Vogue I was like WHAT? Gimme...! Because I think the fact that a man who is deep into the culture of hip-hop (Pharrell is a well-known singer, songwriter and producer) and doesn't give two shits about making a video for Vogue about grooming and skin care is quite illuminating. Men in Hip-hop and rap are not the most prone to share the name of their moisturizer with the world, don't you think? Add to that that Pharrell is a cisgender, straight Black man and there you have it: a unicorn.

The idea of dedicating some time to ourselves should be a given: we already shave every morning or trim our beards of do whatever it is that we men do (I cannot grow a full beard but still I do have to shave every day, alas) so why not add five minutes to that routine we are going to go through anyway? It's not going to kill us. If anything, adding some SPF-infused product and a lip balm to our soap-and-water routine can only work FOR us. Yes, you are already exfoliating when you shave. Did you know that? Looking good can influence our outlook. Feeling good during this pandemic has made me look good. And vice-versa.

Yeah, feel free to be as much of a lumberjack as you want. Go out and chop some wood in the snow, if that helps you feel the fantasy. But when you go out, don't forget your face will not feel like sandpaper when you come back in because you did use that little bit of SPF-15 moisturizer, conveniently packaged in a solid black container so your inner Daniel Boone would not suffer. Also, applying some chapstick is not gonna kill you. And when you kiss someone, the contrast between your lips and your five o'clock shadow will have the intended results. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about here. 

Loving yourself (yeah, that way too!) is... what? Fundamental.




XOXO

P.S. for xmas, I was notified that I may get a little travel bag full of goodies! I'll let you know what I got when I open my gifts....


Comments

  1. All to often we over extend ourselves doing for others. You’re right, we do need to invest in ourselves with self-care. But many of us (me) are very set in out ways. I can’t even do eye drops like I should when my eyes are tired and dry. We do need to takes care of ourselves. If we don’t, who will?

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why we need to take time for ourselves, bae.
      Really. I see these extra five minutes a day as a break with the routine mixed with some self-love. And who doesn't like self-love?

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. A little me time is a good thing, and when you look bettah you feel bettah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      I may need that on a T-shirt, Bob!!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Always had a thing Pharrel is at least bi if not fully gay. 😏🤷‍♂️

    Not that it matters. He made some fine tunes for leading ladies in music. 🎵🔥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG really?
      I've always thought he's got incredible sense of style.
      You know who I thought was gay or bi for the longest time? John Legend.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I love moisturizing. I think of it as my make-up. My foundation. And don't neglect your feet! Moisturize those puppies at bedtime. But you know the two things everyone can do to feel better and look better.... drink water like it is a bother... I mean make sure you are getting enough of that stuff everyday... and coffee won't cut it. And SLEEP. Sleep is #1. If you're not getting enough rest... then you are running around like an unlit candle trying to light up a room. Rejuvenate. That's what this time is all about. Moisturize (and you are so right about chapstick and the lips - healthy lips are a huge turn on - now someone tell Mayor Pete , cuz he need some). Moisturize. Drink water. Exercise. Sleep. Hey, thanks for the reinforcement. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      That's what all those beauty gurus swear by. Especially moisturizing. That's why I got that moisture booster thingy at Trader Joe's. And I think I need to drink more water. Someone told me I have to drink water until I run light yellow LOL
      And you're right about sleep. I feel like death when I don't get my seven (or eight!) hours of sleep. Also, naps.
      And I think I'm going to start the whole feet at night routine. Especially now in winter, it could be super useful!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Just don't fall for all those "fountain of youth" skin-care products. They're nothing but expensive hoaxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Oh, no. I know that once we turn twenty, it's all downhill in what concerns aging. I think the beauty routines are more an expression of self-care than an actual push for the fountain of youth.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm still an old soap and water guy. Though the soap is supposed to be "moisturizing." But, hell...I'm friggin' old and the skin is already...well, old! (Though my legs still look damn fine, if I say so myself.) I hear you on the beard...can't grow one, either, but still have to shave. Now, if I only had that problem on my ass. That was a real issue when I danced...us boys always had to shave one another anywhere we couldn't see/reach ourselves. No body hair allowed when we had to wear any skimpy outfits. Just the rules of the job. And I loved the job while it lasted. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Hey, soap and water are ok. People say that as long as we wash our faces before going to bed, we're ok. And the legs never go away, I think.
      The beard thing IS a pain, but I did learn that we exfoliate when we shave so, silver lining? I can't believe they made you guys shave all over. Talk about radical manscaping!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I have been using the same skincare items for years. And moisturizing is the most important thing. I use a rosemary and mint Keihls cleanser, a Chanel s Hydra Mico Cream...which leaves my skin extremely hydrated and like silk. A witch hazel toner. I have sworn by lip balm for years. I use one from Beach Bum. That's it.

    Once a week I SWEAR by Borghese Tango Mud for a mask for a very deep clean. OMG!!!!! I also use various products like shower gel and shampoo and foot and hand creams mostly with goats milk and honey....from Burt's Bees. Let's do each other up Six!!!!!!!! I look forward to seeing your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh that cleanser sounds like heaven! Same for the toner.
      And can you imagine how fun a SPA day would be? OMG Maddie! Make it happen!

      Let's see how the gift thing goes. I think that these little things we do for ourselves do work on our self-esteem , though...

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I could too cutie! I have been told I give a mean massage.

      Delete
  8. Ok, other than 'Whack', I'm the laziest person to comment on skin care. I have seasonal skin issues which at times makes me look like the original "Crusty Old Dude". My photo could be in the dictionary under the same heading! That said, I dislike moisturizers intensely. They make me feel greasy. I use African Black Soap in a bottle. During my worst times, I'll apply CeraVe cream lightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      It's not being lazy. I think you already have your own routine! You're taking care of your skin and that's your 'Jimmy Time'. And African Black Soap? Sounds intriguing!
      And I think I told you that you're right on trend with the CeraVe: influencers all over swear by it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Actually, I'm a Noxema kind of kind of guy, don't need no soaps of moisturizers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhhh Noxema!!!! I used to by that by boat loads when doing drag to remove the pounds of make up.

      Delete
    2. Noxema is fab.
      That's why you don't need soap or a moisturizer.
      Who knew you were so with it with skin care?

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. In my opinion, the best care for the skin and body is to sleep a lot, drink a lot and eat right. Then 90% is already done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.
      That's what Upton was saying. I agree. I need to start drinking more water STAT.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.