Go back in time

Show more

Your hips don't lie




If you know me, you may know I'm a diehard Shakira fan. And I mean since way back in the the nineties. This blog is named after her songs, after all. BTW, I can't believe this blog is more than ten years old! Damn! But back to Shaki: I love her savoir faire, I love her style and I love her songs. Girl can turn a phrase, that's for sure. Even Gabriel Garcia Márquez commented on her songwriting and style. Now, that's something most anybody would like to have in their résumé. I like her in Spanish and in English. I like that she's not very pop-star-y in the American mold and that she's a little kooky and that her music sometimes defies typecasting

I know many people in America learned about Shakira through Whenever, Wherever, when nobody could completely put a finger on her sound or keep up with her dance moves. But there's more to her than just those hips, mind you. I like that she writes and produces most of her songs and that she's basically put out the music SHE wants to make. I understand they thought she'd be a total fail when she did not follow the route they had decided for her. She put Pies Descalzos out and the rest is history.

Many people think that she should go 'back' to her more rock-like roots (check out her MTV Unplugged if you want to hear her before she broke through in the U.S.) but I think she's just following her growth and putting out songs that she thinks fit her. And I applaud that, because of course I do. I don't know if you caught her Super Bowl LIV halftime show with Jennifer Lopez or if you've seen her in The Voice, so here she is. She was supposed to put out an album in 2020 but you know, best laid plans...

But hey, she's come out with this new song. And it's going to tide me over until there's another Shakira album out. It's a collab she's done with the Black Eyed Peas and it's a bop. Yeah, it's got that reverb in the chorus but we all know the girl CAN sing. Not the first time she's done a collab, though. She's sung with other artists before (Rihanna, Blake Shelton, Maluma, Beyoncé, and many others). I like the song and the visuals are way too much fun! That 80's homage with leg warmers and big hair is right on point. And I'm jealous 'cause apparently Shakira can do it all, even skateboarding. Really, Shakira? Skateboarding, moonwalking AND Gerard Piqué? 

So that's my song for the day. I have it in heavy rotation in my Shakira playlist. Wanna dance?

XOXO

P.S. These are the songs that inspired this blog's name:


Y aunque me haga la invencible
Lo fatal, lo imprescindible
Es que vuelvas a mi, vuelvas a mi, vuelve...
El dolor es sofocante
Y ahora todo lo importante
Es que vuelvas a mi, vuelvas a mi, vuelve...
No me tortures así


This is the day and the time

I wanna believe that we may still have a chance

We took a leap in the dark

And I can see now

How shadows have turned to light


 

Comments

  1. It’s great to see a woman have a vision for her career and not give a fuck to standards. She knows what she wants and goes for it. Kinda like you.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      She's quite the character. And I wish I had her drive. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Curious if you'd care to say more about what led to you choose those particular phrases to name the blog? I couldn't really follow the song (well, except the first bit -- I understand German but not Spanish).

    Congratulations on keeping the blog going over ten years. Not many last that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh Infidel!
      It was quite prosaic, actually. I chose those phrases because of a boy. I was utterly, stupidly, madly infatuated with a boy and this blog came after that. I may have to make a post about that.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Sounds like as good a reason as any.....

      Delete
    3. Hahaha
      Well, I guess it is.. I'll try and tell the story soon...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I like "hips don't lie" and "she wolf"; girl can MOVE DAT BODY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love She Wolf!
      And that girl can indeed shake it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Personally, I can take or leave Shakira. Although, Hips Don't Lie, is a catchy ditty. What makes me love her though, is her global philanthropic work on education. She used her success to do good. That puts her up there with the elite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hips Don't Lie is a bop!
      And yes, Pies Descalzos. She's helped hundreds and hundreds of kids achieve literacy. She's quite involved in several other causes, too. Has never forgotten where she came from.
      She's up there that's right.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. There's talent there, for sure.
    That creative model combined with that business model combined with that talent reminds me of someone from way, way back in the 60s. A member of the TEGO club, who still sells millions when releasing an album. It's a creative vision that will ensure a long, long career...as long as she's true to herself. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and congrats of the blog anniversary of 10 years. We're grateful! XOXO

      Delete
    2. I think she's never compromised her vision. Truly admirable, I think.
      And she's talented, which helps tons.
      And yes, I've been blogging for a hot minute... LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I'm with Jimmy, I can take her or leave her, but I like that she doesn't follow the trends and goes her own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep.
      This girl follows her own drum. And it's apparently worked. She's k famous worldwide...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Great voice, good songs. Isn't wonderful to hear a singer actually use their vocal cords without having to sound lispy, or whispy, or processed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like her voice. It's very unique.
      It sounds like another instrument, I think.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I love her spirit, her enthusiasm, her energy. Her music makes for the best Zumba routines. And I love that she is such an original... unlike anyone before or since. I can never get over how very sexual she is... it vibrates of of her. She's a very gifted artist and deserves the worldwide fame she's achieved. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah
      Yes! Zumba and Shakira. Sounds like a date.
      And yes, she's very.... herself. Garcia Márquez commented on her sensuality, too. It's just apparent and natural. I love her.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Over ten years! You're a TRUE BLOGGER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Yay me!
      It's been actually longer than that. I'm gonna have to blog about it.
      Of course.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I of course know who she is, but sad to say I just never really got into her much for whatever reason. The only thing I'm familiar with is her song with Beyoncé Beautiful Liar. I do enjoy her when she's been on the tube if I have it on. Had no idea she had a new song out. But then if the radio is on its usually on classical or jazz. Although I bet she could really belt out the old standard, Hazel's Hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      She did that duet with Queen B. I have a girlfriend who LOVES that video, because she's totally into Latinx girls.
      And I'm hoping one day she does an album of covers where she just lets it rip. She's got a set of pipes on her, this girl.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. I heard some of her songs on the radio. However, I didn't purchase any of her music. Funny enough though, I did listen to an entire album of hers because my Dad bought one. It was really good and I may have taken it from him (asked to borrow it and then didn't return it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG so sweet!
      So your dad was actually on to her music? Dope.

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. Okay...another comment try. I remember hearing her music on the radio, but never purchased her albums. Ironically enough, my Dad had one of her albums and I listened to it. I may have borrowed it and never returned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I'm still cackling here thinking about you literally stealing an album from your dad.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.