Go back in time

Show more

... it's a no from me.

 


My New Year resolution is that I'm not making any New Year's resolutions. After 2020 done fucking up our lives, I know better than to think that our magical thinking has any influence over what life actually brings to us. Oh, Don't believe me? The president of the United States just called the Attorney General of a state to ask him to 'find him' eleven thousand votes, eleven US senators go against the will of the voters who put them in the senate to appease a wannabe tinfoil dictator and the vice president of the country applauds their effort. And while all this takes place (it's January 4th, mind you) the country reaches another milestone concerning COVID-19. And you think that your New Year's resolutions will have any effect? Allow me to laugh. 

Yes, I know that our lives are what we make of them (and that exerting some sort of control over some things is good for our mental health) but after all we've been through this year I have decided that I am going to focus more on things that require short-term focus and that impact the way I live my life on the daily. I know, not making New Year's resolutions is kind of an oxymoron for me, taking into account that I seem to be an animal of custom and that I have been accused of being slightly on the Type A side of things. After all, I blog almost every day and have journaled for many, many years. Talk about thinking that systems are more effective than goals as a contradiction.

It's not like I would not like to exercise more, eat less sweets, stay away from toxic relationships, change my sofa's upholstery, make a terrarium, learn to sew and so on and so forth. I would like to be more politically active and I'd like to take control of many aspects of my life. It's just that after the 180 (or 360!) turns that most of us had to do this year, all those little things seem to be, well, very little. Especially compared to the immensity of loses, setbacks and problems that this pandemic has brought to so many people.

So even though I will be forced to plan in advance and make some decisions beforehand for work (we cannot totally tell society to fuck off, alas) I think that I will focus more on making mini-resolutions this year, as opposed to making grandiose, all-sweeping assertions about a year that now, more than ever, is as unpredictable as anything. I am going to focus on the life I want to live at the moment, more than focusing on the life I want to live in a nebulous future that most probably will have to include a deadly virus and many more changes and adjustments.

Oh, I feel optimistic about 2021. It's not like I've given up hope or dreaming or enjoying life. I feel hopeful that our lives will be better and less stressful than the last four years and that we will reach a modicum of order in the country. But what I will take into account is the rhythm of my life in order to try to live it better. I will not try to make my life fit a series of expectations that will probably have to be recalibrated over and over in order to fit the crazy events of a year that most probably will still have its share of fuckery.  I don't want to have to go through that again because it's absolutely exhausting. One of the things that 2020 has taught me is that EVERYTHING needs to be flexible: my hobbies, my job, my relationships, my life. And I have decided hat approaching life in that way is a much more doable thing. 

So that's my New Year's Resolution: not having one. Yeah, I don't make sense to myself either. 




XOXO

P.S. I'd really like to visit Kevin's antique store, though...

Comments

  1. That video is absolutely hilarious -- I laughed out loud all the way through it! And P.S., I condemn you for not resolving to make a terrarium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha same! I thought it was hysterical.
      And I know! LOL A terrarium seems like the perfect pandemic balsam, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. You don't need resolutions. I love you as you are; sans terrarium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanx, Jimmy!
      I love ya too! No terrarium needed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. It can be useful for those who are very determined, but those who are determined do not need to wait until January 1st to set their own goals. Perhaps it is still useful to set goals with a deadline of 3 or 6 months. This seems more realistic to me. I don't really care about Christmas and this holiday season in general.To tell you the truth, I gave myself six-month 2/3 goals, but I could have used any day of the year. For me the restart after the summer is much more significant: in my opinion the real New Year is at the end of the summer period. For example on September 1st., instead of 1st January.

    One of these goals is to keep away from negative people as much as possible and to seek company, even if only on twitter / instagram / grindr / planetromeo, of positive people. If I succeeded in this, it would already be a lot for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is absolutely true Xersex!
      I think overall, short-term goals are not bad. I'm just fed up with the pandemic fucking up my life (and goals!). And I agree, summer seems like a good starting point as any. People just do January by inertia.
      And keeping away from assholes should be a mandatory goal for everybody! Let's do it!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. negative people are never good for anyone and suck energy (instead of dicks)

      Delete
    3. Hahaha indeed!
      I avoid them like the plague!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. The video is funny. Thanks for that!
    I am not making any resolutions, either. I mean, what for? I never kept them in the past, what makes me think this year would be any different? ***shrug*** With so many of the elected Repugs playing games in Congress - one (Gohmert) literally calling for Civil War (in true Repug fashion, he denies that's what he meant) - and Cheeto calling on his Proud Boys to bring their guns to the streets of DC, this Wednesday will be quite telling. I can hope for the future, though: I am moving forward with my endeavors, hoping they will be successful.

    Here's to doing things that will enhance our lives, maybe even the lives of others, but without pressuring ourselves into them. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. Wasn't it? Michael Henry is proving to be quite funny.
      And I have never really made resolutions. And this year may be even worse. Politically, the country is in shambles. Add the pandemic (and the abysmal response the salient administration gave) and it's the perfect storm for a very unstable year. I hope today Georgia shows up and crushes the Repugs. Cheeto and Pence and the minions are planning a spectacle on Wednesday.
      It's gonna be a shitshow.

      Being good to ourselves and others and staying positive should be the default setting, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I don't know about anyone else, but I will be fairly glued to the tube today, watching the exit polls, watching the returns, praying to whatever powers may be that Ossoff and Warnock win with more than 50%. XOXO

      Delete
  5. I agree. I've had a terrible end of year. And I refuse to make resolutions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, JM
      Hope everything is better now!
      And long-term resolutions are futile in times like these...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I don't make resolutions either, though I do work out, and the endorphins are great, I just wished they'd let me grow as much hair on my head as he has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha he does have nice hair. He has nice everything, as a matter of fact.
      And exercising is something that has its own rewards. Especially now that we are confined to our homes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. My resolution is to find THAT antique shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Honey, I'd visit his store any day.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I never do resolutions. They last one day in my book.And what a turbulent start to the New Year. I am fast approaching giving up on the news and politics....but I shall wait to see what will happen with the Senate and how the dirt dump is dealt with after he leaves office. I agree with a segment, I saw yesterday where Joe Lieberman was saying what will it say about this country if trump is not held accountable.....especially after this latest stunt. Will no one stand up and deal with this fucking sorry excuse of a human?????? If he walks..... Im done. It will only give way for the next 6 replacments who will be just as appalling and more evil. Im beginning to think....we need to do a major spring clean of politicians. I can count on two hands ones I trust and respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Resolutions seem to me like promises I don't know I can fulfill and that irks me.
      As for the state of the country, I am also nervous. The Repugs are up to no good, the Dems are waiting to see if the process is not hopelessly corrupt and Uncle Joe is going to have an uphill battle if Bitch McConnell stays in power. Ugh.

      That hoping that Cheeto does not nuke the United States on his way out (something that he could do, mind you) . The only hope I have is that he'll get nailed for SOMETHING. Like you said, if he walks, I'll be sooooo pissed!

      I think there's still some politicians who do what needs to be done. The Repugs have proved to be completely useless, though: craven, self-serving and spineless. Just look at those eleven assholes willing to bend over backwards to kiss Hair Furor's ass and pander to his followers...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. No resolutions for me, either. I'm already doing what I can. I could give up drinking but... HA Have you met me? I'm a rage beast as it is... you take my booze out of the equation you are in for some serious tantrums. I still reserve it for Friday and Saturday evenings only... but, having just come off a holiday... Anyhoo... I support you in all that you want or don't want to do. As for that vid... hmm. I will take care of blanket number two any day. Though he's so young, I think all I could do is spank him. Woody? Hmmm. Nice arm pits, though. Oh, I could resolve that! I can't think of the last time I had some quality armpit time... put it on the list... That vaccine better come soon. I think all my hormones have gone to my brain and are preventing me from putting together simple sentences. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1/05/2021

      And doing what we can is good enough.
      And a little booze comes handy during these times. I have friends who keep their wine close at hand during the weekend, too!
      Hahaha blanket number two is fine. And spanking is always fun. Woody has nice everything. And Quality Armpit Time is the name of my Rock Band!
      Yes! A vaccine cannot come soon enough!
      Damn pandemic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Oh right, it's the time for resolutions... 🤷‍♂️

    I don't do 'em, lol! 😜

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found that I cannot commit to resolutions. And given the state of life, it would be even more useless.

    I’ve always been one to go with the flow. I would like to be more tidy, but I also need some me time. I can’t take care of pets, yard work, make meals, put in 10-12 hours for work, AND clean house. I try to make time for self-care, and that’s what I have to work on more. So if there’s anything in the way of resolving, that would be it. Damn the rest.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally feel the same way.
      And I think self-care is fundamental. We should all strive for that. The rest? The rest can wait a little...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.