Go back in time

Show more

Dermur VIII







Dahc Dermur the VIII, A.K.A. Chadd Curry. When somebody introduces themselves as their alter ego, you know you're in for a treat. Dahc Dermur is one of those people who I would just love to sit with and talk for hours. That is, when I'm not lost in the details of the persona they are that day. That someone so Goth would talk so much about light and love is very telling: we should never judge a book by its cover.




That Dahc Dermur would now live in London via Normal, Illinois should be no surprise. Small town people born into religious households tend to break free and when they do, there's no stopping them. I was not surprised at all that Dermur was inspired by Boy George and Peter Burns. They are the patron saints of many an outcast. Just like Bowie was THEIR patron saint. A few posts back we were talking about how brave a Country music star was for having come out. Yes, it's a big step for someone in that position. But for me, it's people like Dahc Dermur who lead the battle of visibility. But I also like the people who need to come out of the closet and I understand their struggle. Like Rusty Zimmerman said in Flawless: "You're ashamed of us, but we're not ashamed of you. As long as you go down on your Banana Republican knees and suck dick, you're my sisters, and I love you. And fuck off!"




I like performers like Dermur because they blur that space between gender non-conformism, Drag and performance art. They live in a world where our rules really don't apply and our everyday is a distant reality. Dermur being a DJ, the choice is simple: being awesome is a default, labels be damned. Their background in fashion (Rick Owens!!) definitely shows, and the conceptualization of his looks draw from multiple references. Who else would put together a black designer gown, thigh high red leather boots, rosaries and a posture collar to go out? To a church? It's being a freak with a goal. And that's MY kind of freak.

The process of watching someone apply make up and become a more refined, a more tuned in, a more concise version of themselves always fascinates me. Always. I could watch for hours. Especially when it's not done just with the purpose of becoming beautiful, but with the purpose of becoming ourselves. And that's what Dahc Dermur is doing: being themselves. 

"Through sobriety I have become the drug I've always craved". Words to live by, hunny.

XOXO

Comments

  1. "They live in a world where our rules really don't apply and our everyday is a distant reality."

    Probably some of us would like to the in a distant reality, in places where rules don't apply. At least for a period. Here why some performance & performers appeal us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. We like those performers because they're far from our reality, our everyday lives. It's what makes them special.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. What a beautiful soul. I have never heard of Peter Burns, but will now look him up. You seem to educate me with every post. I think Blogspot hates me. I commented on the apartment in NYC post, but it didn't seem to take. Or I'm doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Burns was super cool. He was gender bending even before Boy George.
      His voice is nice, too.
      And Blogspot is super temperamental!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I really think you could pull that look off, babe. Maybe on your next work Zoom call.

    You really have to admire those who March to the beat of their own drum. The abuse that they may endure is outweighed by the freedom they feel in their soul.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I love the gown, to be honest. And this guy really blazed his own trail. The assault he suffered did not deter him.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I have always thought that Goth was more about being stuck in a dark world and seeking the light and the good. Some interesting, freaky look though, church or not. I'm all for people being themselves, so long as it's not a schtick - you know, seeking attention for attention's sake. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprised me about him. Such a contrast, no?
      And I think people like Dahc (very evocative, right?) are just artists that need to express what they are thinking. The whole concept.
      But of course he's going to call people's attention. He's a vision.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Love that final quotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that cool?
      I'm amazed at how introspective he can be. You'd think someone living so outwardly would keep something to themselves.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I can get behind the creative process, and his thinking, and his talent on style is shattering....but his style is way to extreme even for me. Even Yovska doesn't bother me. I think this is where performance artiste' is more apt. To each their own and he's doing what pleases him...let him enjoy it I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. He's more of a living art installation. His references, the construction, the process. The makeup and the dipping in the feminine are just part of who he is, a complement to the look.
      Performance artiste sounds about right.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, Dave.
      Even your Banana Republic knees.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Those are two FABULOUS quotes you've given us today. And what a vision. Very much on the dark side, but so well done. Absolutely striking. I can already imagine the museum retrospective. Sigh. Isn't it amazing that - thanks to the net - we can enjoy these artists as they come into being? Like moths from the cocoon, all around us... emerging. Fun to celebrate them and learn who they are at this juncture in their careers. as it unfolds. Think of what Robert Mapplethorpe would have brought us had he the technology of today? Thanks for sharing as always... I learn so much from you. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      The first one it's from Flawless. Both Maddie and I enjoy that movie.
      And yes, I thought he was very much exploring the dark. It's very interesting, given that he's a DJ and therefore plays House and EDM. He'd be more on the side of NIN.
      And I think that Instagram and the magic of online documenting makes knowing about more and more artists.
      I cannot imagine what Mapplethorpe could have done. He would have had no problems with that NEA and his photos would have gone viral.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.