Go back in time

Show more

Ella

 



I was talking to my sister and we were talking about how fast time goes by and how much this pandemic took us all by surprise. Especially because many things had to be replanned and rescheduled. For example, it all seems to indicate that she'll be a lockdown bride. Yep, she's tying the knot again. I don't really know her beau, but he sounds nice. Medium height, has a job, treats her well. I have tried to never have an opinion about the men in her life, mind you. Well, I HAVE had an opinion but I have never offered it. She's an adult woman and I assume she knows what she's doing. And this is going to be her second marriage. The first one... well, I do have an opinion about that one, and let's say that I think that she could have done much, much better.

So when we were talking last week (we get our kiki going every other week, more or less) my mom came into the conversation. You see, this month is her anniversary, but we talk about her so often that it's like she's celebrated throughout the year.  It's really funny how often mom comes into our conversations. Same as Nana, our grandma. They really are part of our lives and even though they passed away years ago, they still help us bond and talk about things that siblings most usually talk about: money, relationships, other family members. My sister is the keeper of all things family, by the way. She knows where all the skeletons are buried. I don't really talk much to our relatives (remember, I don't have Facehook or any other social media presence) and she always fills me in with all the gossip and the juicy tidbits about their lives and the such. She posts photos of me in her feed and then screenshots all the comments people make and sends them to me. We cackle for hours when talking about that. She shares my twisted sense of humor, too.

So she'll be moving to Alaska (don't ask, the beau lives there) and we were talking about the clothes she's gonna take there and the things that she could do there. If anything, I told her to go visit Canada often, Canadians are way cooler than Americans (Hey Debra, heeeyyy...). I am happy for her, really. She deserves a man who loves and appreciates her. She's too young and too pretty to be alone, too. I have told her that for years but she -being my sister- never listens. After her divorce, she seemed to have tried to start some relationships with several degrees of success. None of those seemed really serious, though. Until this one. It seems this time is for real. So I'll prepare for a possible socially-distant wedding ceremony. I already know what I'm going to wear. It should be fun. And when the pandemic abates, I may have a place to go visit in Alaska. Who knows? I may find me a hot lumbersexual in Anchorage. 


XOXO

P.S. that's my mum, in that photo. My sister sent it to me and I decided to post it here. It was taken either at the beginning of the sixties or in the late fifties, when she was very young. But I really have no idea. I'm not the keeper of all things family in my family. I just love the photo.

Comments

  1. Your sister sounds like mine - she is also the keeper of all things family. We don't talk all the time, but we do text every couple of days. But, unlike you, I must opine on some things with my sister (her nickname is Dum-Dum, which should tell you something).

    Marriage is weird... I'm on my 2nd, and it has worked out fine....35-years fine in September - if we make it that long - as my wife is wont to say. LOL.

    Great photo. You mother was very pretty. Which means you are hot as the dickens! 😘 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha and you call her Dum-Dum to her face? That's nerve!
      I usually keep my opinions about other people's marriages to myself. I know I'll be the loser no matter what.
      And hey, second time was the charm. Some people have to try twice as hard. It's good to find someone we feel good with for more than thirty years!!
      And I also think my mom was pretty! I wish I had inherited her looks! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. This is awesome news. I’m happy for her and the family. This is going to be a total shock for her, culturally and meteorologically. The important thing is that they love each other and treat each other well. And your mom is a looker. I see where you get your good looks from babe.

    I’ve never been to Alaska, would love to get there sometime. Family members have been there and I’ve lived vicariously through them.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been trying to prep her up, but you know she's going to have to experience it herself. She seems pretty excited, which is cool. We're both too fucking tropical for Alaska, to tell you the truth even though everybody tells me it's beautiful.
      And flattery will get you everywhere, bae. Everywhere.. LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. See???? Huntley gave you up. I knew it! I knew you were a looker. XOXO

      Delete
    3. LMAOOOO
      *blushes* oh, Big.
      And you know that Huntley can be very persuasive, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. congrats to your sister on her upcoming wedding!
    and your mom was a beautiful woman. if you look like her...aye carumba!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Very happy for her. It's always good to see she's found someone good.
      And yes, she was very purdy. I wish I had her cheekbones!! Hahaha

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your sister and good luck to her in Alaska! I hope she likes the cold, brrrr! Your Mom was very good looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's not gonna like the cold. But she likes the man, so that should even things out a little. And thanks! I think she was awesome.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Your mom was beautiful. I'm sure you look just like her. You are such a nice person as I would have to give my approval (wink/nod). Your sister's shift to Alaska makes me shiver. But love has no boundaries, no?
    I am "the keeper of all things family" in my family. Only difference, I'm the last one standing. :)
    Smooch, sweet Six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Jimmy! We do have the same hair and attitude, to tell you the truth.
      And I'm also a tiny little bit on edge with the move, but I think she'll be ok. And you should digitize everything related to your family. It's so much more manageable!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Now I loved this post.!!!!! I like the personal touches. And yes....your mother wasn't pretry...she was a Goddess! I do i suspect you may have inherited she sly smirk????

    Huh Alaska. My favorite aunt and uncle lived there for a year and where they secretly married. She always said 1...the bitterly coldest and darkest place she'd ever been. 2...no place for a woman...and 3 if you like nature, you'll love it.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha yes, we do have the same sly smirk! Guilty!
      And thanks! She was very pretty, even though my opinion is of course, biased.
      And I feel Alaska is going to be a task for her, but in a few years she may be able to move. Let's see how it goes. Her future husband has lived there for years, so it may work.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I understand Alaska is beautiful. A bit rugged at times, but a good place to live. You're Mom was a real cutie. I have relatives on Facebook, but they don't gossip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've seen the commercials. It's untamed and pretty. I hope she likes it, or at least where she's going to live. And thanks! I think so too!
      And you have relatives on Facehook that do not gossip? That's groundbreaking. Facehook is a cesspool of iniquity.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. You mother was gorgeous!!!! And cinched for the gawds!!!!!
    My mother passed away 14 years ago this week and not a day goes by that I don't think of her and talk to her.
    And my sister, who lived in Alaska for a time and loved it, passed away five years ago this week.
    I have been busy with the afterlife chatter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! And yes! Oh, you should have seen the dresses she had. I loved them!
      And I feel you with your mom. Same.
      And what are the odds your sister also lived in Alaska?
      We're in sync here in bloggerland!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. It is a lovely photo of your mom, Sixpence. Good luck to your sister in Alaska. Anchorage is pretty awesome and the weather isn't as bad there as the rest of the state. After my mom passed, I barely keep up with my relatives. My mom was the glue that held our family together and I just don't have her patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Mr. Shife!
      I think they'll be living in Anchorage, as a matter of fact. That's where his job is, I think. And I can see how your mom kept everybody together. That's what moms do.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Your Mom is absolutely gorgeous!! Absolutely gorgeous!! And look at her amazing sense of style!! Your sister sounds like a hoot!!
    I'm usually the keeper of all things family among my siblings and fill them in on the things that our relatives do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always wondering if my comment made it....lol blogspot will be my paranoia trigger.

    Your mother is beautiful and has amazing style and grace.

    I like your sister am the keeper of all things family among my siblings. I keep in touch with the family and do have a social media presence.

    Hopefully this comment makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, JM!
      Between us, I also think my mom was pretty!
      And it's cool you are the keeper of all things faminy. I wish I liked scrapbooking or something like that, to keep track of what's going on.

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. Best wishes to your sister and what beautiful mum you've! I thought she was a model of 60'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xersex!
      I think she's going to do well in Alaska, with some adjustments.
      And I'm going to tell my sister that you thought mum looked like a model!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.