Go back in time

Show more

Open Door






I am still laughing. OMG this cracked me up in such a way you would have thought it was a comedy. But nope, it's real. This sounds and looks more like living in NYC on a budget than what we usually see in movies and TV (I'm looking at you, Sex and the City). I once dated a New Yorker and he told me he lived in a one bedroom with a roommate (!!) and that his rent was astronomical. And he had a good job! Yianni Sine's tongue-firmly-in-cheek tour of his living quarters looks to me like what I'd expect a student or somebody with an average job to have in NYC.  For real. His kitchen tour had me howling with that 'and I made some bread'. Pandemic gold. I give him points because his bathtub is NOT in the kitchen, though. I have seen those. 

I feel his struggle about having chosen the smallest room because his roomies have partners. I have seen that, too. Can you imagine the logistics of having sex in an apartment that small? With two roommates? I'm loud, so I cannot have roommates roaming around while a gentleman caller helps me with my tingle to mingle.  On the same vein, his bed would not work with me. Nope. You'll see why. Underbed space be damned. And his living room! OMG flashbacks to when I lived off-campus and I would visit the TAs in their apartments. Absolutely same. And that coffee table? I laughed so hard I spilled some orange juice I was drinking. And wait until he takes you to the roof.

 But what I really loved was this take on the Architectural Digest videos I watch all the time. Because I do watch those. Because I sometimes live vicariously through the fantastic spaces the rich and beautiful have. Especially now, where so many people basically make a living on IG or YouTube by offering tricks, hauls and makeovers by the dozen to make your living space prettier. It's funny how we have been talking about influencers and I came across this video. 

I loved this call to sanity. I know Yanni did it for the laughs, after all, he's an expat commenting on life in the US. But also, it is a lesson on humility. He's young and will probably move out of that apartment in a year or two, when COVID lets us go back to our lives, but this is the struggle many people find themselves in throughout a big part of their lives. Many of us live in spaces that are much, much better than Yanni's. Many of us are thinking about buying a house or have already bought one. Many of us have left behind the low-key über-BoHo style of our college years. But many, many people live their lives the way Yanni is living his now.

That's why I am rolling my eyes when people talk shit about the stimulus check the Biden administration is planning. Bob was right in his observation of the blatant hypocrisy and lack of humanity of those who oppose it. COVID-19 will have a long-lasting effect on homelessness in the US and we should be aware of that. Because we are fortunate enough to have a job that gives us money and a house that we can organize and make pretty at our will, it does not mean we should forget that there's people out there that are really having a hard time right now.

XOXO

P.S. Wanna help? AWESOME! There are many ways to do that. 




Comments

  1. I loved this tour! He’s a hoot! And the snow angel on the roof and his attempt at winter yoga. He’s super cute, intelligent and funny.

    I had never heard of him but I’m going to check out some of his other videos.

    I grew up in a two bedroom apartment in Chicago, my parents and six boys. We had bunk beds and a hide-a-bed couch. I know how cramped it can be. That’s probably why my older brothers were so much into sports , it got them out of the house.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's hilarious! When he went to the roof, I laughed so, so hard.
      And I can imagine the eight of you in that apartment. And why the older boys were always out!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. a nice compact apartment and what a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's super cool.
      And all in all, it's not a bad apartment. Especially for NYC! You should see what I've seen!
      XOXO

      Delete
  3. He's adorable. I can't imagine. Living that way. I am such a 'must be alone' person. Plus, clutter typically drives me cray cray. I mean, I have my own... but not under my bed. The place looks nice, for what it is. They appear to be really great tenants. You should see what some of mine have done to my rental houses over the years. Thanks for sharing. I needed a smile this morning. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is!
      And same. I do need my alone time too. And there IS a lot of stuff under his bed LOL
      People with roommates usually keep their possessions in their room and not in the common rooms like the kitchen and the living room.
      And yes, the place looks nice! Some people really do not take care of rentals, that's for sure. I cannot imagine what they've done to your houses...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. He's rather funny and endearing and charming.
    It's real life, not reel life, though i will say I was feeling very claustrophobic in parts of that apartment! I mean two people meeting face-to-face in the hallway? One would have to back up. But the living room, even with a nonfunctioning fireplace? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why he's so cool! Real life, not reel life, that's for sure. When you see those apartments where people live in NYC in the movies or on TV...
      And it is espacious by NYC apartments, can you imagine the ones that are small? LIterally to go in and sleep and leave in the morning.
      They have done a good job, overall.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Well, that place is positively palatial for NYC. I can imagine the monthly rent. My gues on how that would rate: $$$$$. Years ago, when HGTV had just started, the show was about two guys buying an apartment in NYC. A single room, 1 bath in 475sf. The bed(room?) was on stilts above the kitchenette. $475,000.00. Can you imagine what it would sell for now? Yikes! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG isn't it?
      I have seen much, much, worse. And they definitely need three people to live there. 475sf sounds like average walk-up in NYC and yep, half a mill sounds about right. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Ugh, the rats and that bathtub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha
      I know! I"m sure he absolutely exaggerated but NYC rats are NOTORIOUS.
      And wait until I tell you that I knew of somebody who lived in NYC and their bathtub was in the kitchen. Yep, in the middle of the kitchen. Just imagine that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. OMG!!!!! That brought back some memories!!!! First though, he was a hoot without even trying in that tour, and loved that he had to mention the Vaseline!!!!!! My best friend moved to Hells Kitchen in 96 and his place was much like Yanni's. He two had 2 roommates nd they paid $2,500 then but it was a fixed rent, the place was usually unkept, and looked very much like Yanni's!!! And every gay pride he'd hosted a party and it was every bit a Holly Golighty's out of BAT party scene! Luckily he was had access to the roof which helped. And many a drag friend lived in a one bedroom and too paid through the roof rent, for a shoebox. Hell, the old bag Bunny, still lives in the same underground garden apt, in the village she got when she and Ru split to take different paths. Once in Philly, I started working with Bloomies, I had several offers to take a job at the flagship, and tuned them down. I thought I might shoot myself in the foot. But had it been back in my 20's then yes. But now, no NO WAY could I do it. I can't see living pay to pay and being a slave to the rent with little to no amenities, and going without on so many other things. Bucks County has now got me spoiled with how far my money stretches and I can do other things...and still have the best of both worlds...and travel ...and the scenery here has got me spoiled. But I know many still in NYC , so when I would go to the city several times a month they would all joke and say "The Dowager Countess is leaving the county house to come for a visit." I sometimes miss living in a city and that lifestyle, but couldn't do it daily again...unless I had millions. And me and that clogged tub would NOT get along, or that bed. With my sexual antics that bitch would jump right off those fucking cubes!!! But I noticed he lays in bed like a do with his arms folded across his chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      He did live the fantasy. Just like those rich people in Architectural Digest! And I totally believe that about your friend and his experience there. Up to the fixed rent. I know people who lived in their grandparent's apartments and the landlord did EVERYTHING to have them move because of the fixed rent.
      LOL at the Holly Golightly reference! Totally true. I've hang out at firescapes and roofs, too. I've heard about the Lady Bunny's garden apartment!
      And I can feel you about not wanting to do this routine once you were established. It's something that mostly the young can endure, like a rite of passage. It's hard doing this for years and years and years. I do love city life (I'd love to live in Chicago!) but it does have its limitations. Space being one of those. And I'm spoiled.
      And I knew you'd notice the bed! LMAOOOO It would last one minute with me on it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I loved that video! That is how the vast majority of New Yorkers live. Keep in mind, that floor was not originally a 3 bedroom apartment. I do wish he would have told us how much he was paying for rent for his one room, probably much more than a 3 bedroom apartment costs in Harrisburg (right now around $900).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      Especially if they live in the most populated parts of the city. And I imagine that floor was probably chopped up from what it originally was. Landlords in NYC will do anything for 100sf. And I think the rent was probably non-disclosable? But I bet it was around what you were saying. NYC is everything but cheap.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Like all gay men I adore looking around other peoples apartments ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha same!
      That's why I watch so many of those Architectural Digest videos!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.