Go back in time

Show more

Take a number



Oh, nothing like getting another perspective in what concerns 'attractiveness'. Especially when the variables of gender, age and culture serve as a buffer. In this video, two Korean girls are shown some Western men who are obviously attractive but share one veri salient quality: they are all what we consider middle aged. You see, some gay men seem quite fond of a very precise kind of beauty: one that's mildly pneumatic, extremely cultivated and above all, young. Men who have hit the Because apparently, for some gay men being desirable means being extremely fit and above all, young. Not Death in Venice young, mind you, but young. 

So watching this video I discovered that deep down, I'm a Korean girl. You see, I like that 'Flower Middle Age' they are talking about. For me, men who are above thirty and have some wear and tear are just fine. Oh, I can appreciate a man, let's see, in his late twenties and all the possibilities he could bring, of course. I'm not blind. But the thing is that I seem to get more excited at the sight of a body that has had some wear and tear (that shows) doing perfectly dirty things than at the idea of a gloriously pneumatic and unblemished body being a stick in the mud (in Maddie's very correct appraisal). So these girls are shown several men who are far from being 'common'. They are not your garden variety dad-next-door (but they could). They are models and personalities well known for their sartorial decisions and style. Just to show how not common these men are, they start with George Clooney.  And the girls freak out a little when they learn he's in his late fifties (that shows how young they are). I give them credit, though, because they like the way his beard grows. Same.




Then they see Eric Rutherford. And honey, I have to say I'd also fold his socks and much, much more. One of them says she hopes her husband ages like that. And I will have to agree. Damn. I've seen Eric before online, come to think of it. He does not go unnoticed.





Then it's on to  Philippe Dumas. And they marvel at his luxuriant beard. Again, will not blame the girls. Who could?  BTW, this is how many men over fifty I know look like and I think it's just fine. Yes, we lose definition as we age. Yes, the six pack may not be there. So what? Oh, when I'm writing on his blog, this is how I picture Lurkie (hi, Lurkie!). Only much grumpier.  







They move on Ron Jack Foley and they talk about how handsome he is. And here’s my disclaimer: I would have to say, if lust were to have a face and a body, dear Ron would be it. Damn. The hair. The charm. The beard. He just LOOKS solid. Yeah, I know he probably has a strict workout regime, but why wouldn't he? I know Dave rides his bike for miles to stay fit and many men over forty I know watch their diets and make sure they stay active. So a model would do all that by default. But Oh LaLa.  Mr. Foley, I'd climb you like a tree. Some people like climbing walls. I'd rather climb him. These girls are on to something, I'm telling you. 




SLAY

Then it's on to Irvin Randle, who usually looks super sharp and super stylish when dressed. Of course I went and found the photo in which he had minimum clothing. I'm here to objectify men. And the girls make an observation I have not thought about often: apparently a beard is very becoming when a man is older. They're the swagger of middle age. Who knew? I know several men over fifty and the rather be clean shaved. Maybe the beard is not a bad idea? 






There comes a moment when they're looking at Anthony's IG where they stop and stare. They're speechless because he's in a photo being very friendly with another man. It was super cute! One thing I have to say, though: Anthony Varrecchia is Daddy and nobody can deny that fact of life. One, because I'd fight you, and two, because obviously. And yes, chest hair can be that white. And not only chest hair. Many men are very serious about going gray.








One of the things that called my attention was how Kim Chil-Doo would become a model after turning sixty. You see? There's third acts everywhere. For everybody. Also, there's no such thing as age-restricted clothes, either. Not all men over fifty do have to spend their days looking like they're ready for the golf course. One can be stylish AND middle aged.  

There's this idea among gay men (and people in general) that life ends once we are not 'young' anymore. We are not seen as vital and apparently we stop thinking about sex. But what is young? Young as the girls in the video? They seem pretty comfortable with the men they see and are ready to look at the salient, 'different' qualities they offer. They even make plans to become some of the 'cool elders'. Is it just cultural? In America, we tend to find youth desirable and mandatory in order to appear attractive or sexually desirable. Once we pass a certain threshold we become all but invisible. Well, if we are not models or actors, natch. Have you noticed that? I don't know if American girls (or gay men) would be as objective and as clear minded as these girls in the video.

They seem pretty stunned by something we repeat often but don't really believe: age is just a number. As if discovering something new. But I've known that for a long time. I'm waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.

XOXO

Comments

  1. Of all the men you've shown, I'd pick the dreamy Eric Rutherford--who was my hot man one week--and I would hit him harder than a freight train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh he's dreamy.
      He's madea video with Matthew Dempsey that always sends me...!
      And a freight train is right!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I have always embraced the “age is just a number” mantra and often say that I will never grow up. You have to keep that playfulness and sense of adventure. Though some may consider me past my expiration date, I don’t care. And though I’m nowhere near as fit as most of those in the video, I can still enjoy life and men.

    Age is just a number. It’s what you do with it that counts.

    XOXO đŸ‘¨‍❤️‍đŸ’‹‍đŸ‘¨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Huntley! "...I will never grow up." Yep. My nieces and nephews have called me Uncle Peter Pan for many years. Staying "young at heart" is how we stay young.

      Delete
    2. Yep. Playfulness and sense of adventure.
      No matter what our age is, those two are essential. And expiration date? For what?
      If it's to learn how to skateboard, I'm past my expiration date.
      @Big: Peter Pan is right!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Irvin and Anthony... swooning, here... such perfection. As a man of a certain age, i really can't get on a soapbox and spout an opinion, as it feels way over biased. But ageism sucks, y'all. And we really need to get real when it comes to men's bodies - no matter the age. Oops. There, I done what I said I would not do. I'll leave this debate to y'all. I know quality. I know what I like... I have finally reached the point where if someone is under the age of 28, I block them on my apps. I don't have the time or interest. I am continually dismayed by the older ones who only want young things. What are they? Vampires? Kizzes. Thanks for sharing this. It is culturally interesting. A nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Anthony is just right. Really.
      And ageism sucks no matter what age you are. The thing is, when we grow older, we may get first hand experience with it. And I feel you with establishing an age limit in the Apps. It saves you time and silliness. I do wonder about the older ones who ONLY want young things. It's an exercise in futility.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Older dudes don't think about sex??? "Oh, but we do Blanche, we do." LOL Oh, ageism permeates our society; top to bottom, side to side. It ain't just in the gay world. My second career went bye-bye during the downturn of 2007-2011, due to my M.D. (which I never allowed to interfere with my work) and my age. Forget looks, or appearance. You know I'm older than microbes, have a dad-bod because, Covid. Can't grow a beard to save my life. If I could, it would be grey like all the other hair I *do* have. LOL. We in the US would be much better off if we embraced every wrinkle and grey hair. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think that sex is one of the last things to go.
      And ageism has been around forever. Especially in what respects women and gay men. There's this thing where physical appearance is some sort of currency that's demanded from people to consider them desirable. And going gray (as these men demonstrate) is totally sexy. Embracing age brings confidence. Confidence is sexy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. The whole posted closed down when I got to Eric Ruthford. mic drop.

    I can't do the whole big beard thing. Jimmy was telling me about Death in Venice...excellent movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha he's so yummy.
      And I cannot do a beard either. Too spotty. And Death in Venice is a classic. It's a study in longing. Highly recommend it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Beards are great. Because of my job I get to see men of all ages, from young blue hairs to old white hairs. I can tell you, it's not about years, it's how they present themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like beards, too.
      And I think it's not about age, but swagger. Some younger men have it. Some older men cultivate it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Loved this!

    I always remember an interview (the only one) of Elizabeth Taylor on Johnny Carson, when asked about the men she married. No matter what her age was, the age of the man stayed the same.

    Forty to fifty five is prime for me. Always has been that way. Beards are a plus. Hair is a plus. Body fur is a BIG plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth Taylor! So absolutely stunning!
      I saw her in Giant because it came up in my suggestions to stream. So absolutely beautiful.
      Forty to fifty five is a fantastic age bracket. Just right, in terms of body and level of maturity (and knowledge of the world). Beards are sexy. And yes for body hair. Sexy!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I am too am attracted to a silver fox. My partner, even though he was a few years younger than me had gray hair. Made him so attractive to me. I miss him so much. It will be almost 40 days since he passed .
    Mmm Eric Rutherford and Phillip Dumas....mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!
      Oh silver foxes are dreamy. Men who go full gray early are super sexy!
      And of course you miss him! *hugs*
      Phillip dumas is JUST right.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I can tell you that I like everyone and anyone. Silver foxes (these, but also others, of course) can be gorgeous, but what long beards here!
    We can also imagine Brad Pitt at 70: do you think he will be ugly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Silver foxes are hot.
      And yes, some of the beards are a little long, even for my taste!
      And I think Brad Pitt is going to be very handsome when he turns 70, still. He's got fantastic bone structure. He's in his late fifties now and he looks great.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. and without beard

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcĂ³n este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atreviĂ³ a...
    6 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pillĂ³ a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *CuatricromĂ­a / PolicromĂ­a *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los Ă¡lbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canciĂ³n que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectĂ³nicos*. MĂ¡s y mĂ¡s, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los dĂ­as que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.