Go back in time

Show more

it takes four





I have written here about RuPaul's Drag race, both the American Version and some of the international versions of the reality show. They are all reality tv competitions, but at their core, they are different. After all, they're made for different kinds of audiences. I thought it would be fun to have you watch the top four competitors of the second season of Drag Race UK so you'd understand what is it that Maddie and I keep babbling about (BTW, her latest take on DRUK is worth a reading!). So here you have Tayce, Bimini Bom Boulash, Ellie Diamond and Lawrence Chaney doing their makeup. 

Mind you, these four were not my favs to win, I would have included Joe Black and A'whora (that's a name, no?) but it IS a reality show and reality shows do follow a format, no matter what country or public they are produced for. If the UK queens seem less scripted than the American Drag Race queens, it's because their attitude and the cultural references they allude to are different, IMHO. I understand Drag is very young in the UK and also, their sense of humor tends to be different. Is it refreshing? You bet. As it should be. Ru KNOWS what she's doing. 

I thought it would be good for us to get a taste of the wit and grit of the top four, as we can see in this video for Vogue (yeah, Drag artists now appear on Vogue, hunny) with the top four doing their makeup. Here you can see them in action: you'll notice immediately the difference in delivery and intention (and it's not just a language/slang thing) of each one of the queens and how different/similar their presentation is to American Drag artists. I am constantly in awe of their makeup skills. For real. But the fun part is watching and listening them be.. well, Drag Queens. They have big personalities but that's not strange, taking into account that these are the top four this season. They are sassy and brassy and I love it. Also,  you have to take into account that in the UK they cannot win money prizes (this is a BBC program, so no exchange of money can take place) so they tend to be more... themselves than their American sisters, for example. It's a totally different playground. And it reminds us how Drag changes from one locale to another. For some people, change can be good.

I think that is what Maddie was talking about when she said:

"Another reason I think the UK series was popular is it's holistic eye on drag, and the queens lack of concern about being beat for the gods, so they can do a major fashion commercial three months down the line. They continue with their camp looks, flimsy costumes and some of their gaudiness, brashness and filth, and if you don't like, then it's tough shit. They are drag queens, and enjoy it's art and for all the right reasons."

Girl KNOWS what she's talking about. Bimini Bom Boulash is apparently crossing over to modeling (like other Ru girls) and Tayce will be inviting us to drink Coke. So now, if you didn't know who won the competition, who do you think should win just based on this video? I know I have my fav...

Enjoy!

XOXO

Comments

  1. With so many queens crossing over into mainstream advertising....I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall to hear some Bubbas claim how "hot that chick is" and how they "would do her in a NY minute." Wouldn't that be hilarious? Or is it just my sick sense of humor? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that would be a surprise for Bubba. And even though some are very pretty, most make clear they're Drag artists.
      I think Drag Race is a boot camp for them to be prepared to be public figures. It's not easy. Some think they'd love it and crack under the pressure.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I'm all Drag Race'd out at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      You're not the only one, dear. You're not the only one.
      It's a franchise now.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Like I said over at Maddie's, I just want drag to go back to being entertaining. Too much emphasis on work product in these competitions. I want humor. I want banter. I want clever. I want sexy. I want ribald. The UK group gets it. Will they keep it? Hmm. Ru needs to change up her schtick. I hope she's learning from the UK ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes.
      But many a Ru girl has gone ahead and forge a career out of their time on the program because THEY are the product, not being crowned (even though Bianca and Trixie and others have very successful careers now). But I agree, the camp and the banter and the personalities seem bigger in the UK girls. It may be also that they are aware that Drag Race is just a platform (Ginny Lemon and Jack Black understood that for the beginning). I think Ru changes the shtick according to the country. Ru's not dumb.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. OK,.....you know drag is not my thing. However I watched the video and my favorite, because of his realness, was the chunky guy who created his neck and bought his foundation at the "Pound Store". He is someone I'd like to know. Other than that, I always thought makeup was done light to dark. These guys were all over the place with color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely understood why I posted this!
      And you understood why Ru chose him as the winner, too. It's a combination of personality, looks and the ability to entertain what makes a winner. And Drag makeup is its own monster. It seems to me it is a combination of glamour and painting for the back row under merciless lights.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Yes, he did. His name is Lawrence Chaney. He's a riot. His confessionals were hilarious.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm kinda with Upton on this one. I like the comedy and the danger and the risqué, though I do love seeing a drag queen making it sort of a mainstream way, in film or marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      And that's what makes them successful after Drag Race. They need to have the chops. Drag Race is just bootcamp for what's awaiting them after their time in the competition is over.
      They go on to star in their own documentaries, series, movies or commercials.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This is why I want to hang with you, the conversations and good time we shall have. I could sit and talk with you on many things...and you get conversations going. Well you know how I feel about the UK. Going in, I could never call a UK season, because they are all so front runner. But I had a feeling Lawrence would be in top four. He can sit and talk and I'm in stiches. He reminds me of myself when getting in drag...just get it done, and who needs all this fancy product? I did love me some Awhora too.My good is that bitch hot! I admit I did think shed be top four. No doubt Bimini I love too. Love her looks. Pearly and I live videod Ginny the other day. That bitch isn't right! I felt someone slipped me ecstasy by time we disconnected.

    I was really happy with who ever won...they were all great. But I would still like to bend over and fuck sister sister out of drag. He is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It would be EPIC!
      And not being able to call the season (even for someone who has so much inside knowledge as you do) is what makes the UK version so much more entertaining. It's the cultural background and the fact that drag tends to be different in other countries. Girls are drawing from different sources to interpret their art.
      And yo did call Lawrence being a top four. She understands that Drag is about ingenuity and wit. I love how she paints, too. The transformation is amazing.
      Love Bimini. I watched her deconstruct her fashion inspiration. For such a young queen, her instincts are finely tuned.
      Now, Ginny Lemon is like if Katya and Tammie Brown would have a baby and Utica would raise it. LOL

      And your Sister Sister is my Joey Jay.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. No cable so I don't watch any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is a BBC program.
      Outside of the UK it needs to be watched on WOW Presents Plus. Or YouTube. The post was more about cross-cultural interpretation of the contest and what makes the UK version seem so fresh to American eyes.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.