Go back in time

Show more

EXPLAINING LA MÁS



There are many versions of Drag Race around the world right now. Many. And people have decided which one is their favorite. Some prefer the US version, some prefer the UK version. Some swear by the Canadian version and some are waiting for the Australian version. What people tend to forget is that this is a reality series, and that changes the stakes and the rules a little bit. Reality series are basically semi-scripted and that makes them special.

Many people have mentioned that some excellent Drag artists do not do 'well' in the contest while some others seem to be a match made in heaven for the format (coughKandycough). Drag Race is a competition, it's not the essence of Drag, no matter what Jaida says. To put on Drag race the responsibility of being 'accurate' at all times in what concerns Drag, it's like asking Chopped or Cupcake Wars to teach us all there's to know about cooking or baking. I see Drag Race as a vehicle for the queens to launch a career and for Ru to expand her empire. Ru is the perfect example of what a Drag artist with vision and ambition could do. She models for the girls one of the possible paths to follow.

So when I ran into Margaret y Ya and her YouTube series explaining what La más Draga is, I thought it would be great to post about that. I've talked about La Más Draga here before. It's a Mexican contest modeled roughly on Drag Race but with a much more focused emphasis on Mexican culture. The challenges vary from very specifically Mexican (La Más Frida) to general (like a lip-sync). But LMD differs from DR when it has to do with the contestants' gender, too (they have had boys doing androgynous drag and Bio Queens doing high and conceptual drag, something we have not seen in RPDR) and when it comes to the age range and style of drag of the queens participating.

LMD is doing tryouts for its third season now. Margaret and Denali (yes, Denali, from the thirteenth season of Drag Race) sit down here and discuss the ups and downs of the finale of La Más Draga and American viewers would be surprised to see that La Más Draga actually seems closer to the idea some have of what Drag Race should be. They'd be in for some surprises, though, like when some Drag artists seem to go overboard with their runway presentations (something that would never happen in the US, for example, where pageants prescribe some specific styles for the runway).

I thought it would be interesting to get your opinions about this. Especially Maddie, our resident Drag expert (who by the way, writes the most hysterical Drag Race reviews) after you see what Margaret and Denali hash during their get together. They tear apart the finale of LMD and verbalize some of the thoughts that I've had when watching both contests.

By the way, I like Denali. She may be one of the Drag Race queens whose talents do not align completely to the competition's format but I like her style and her personality outside of the contest. Spoiler alert: not all the queens need to make it to top four. Is it nice? Yes, necessary? I don't think so. Some top four queens do very well for themselves (Trixie, Bianca, Alaska) but some do well by just being in the show. I see the show as a platform, and most of the queens use it to raise their profile and get known by a bigger public. I think Denali will be all right even though she's not top four (second spoiler alert, she made it to the top eight, halfway the competition just like Jan, another very talented queen who seemed to try every trick she knew in the contest and was also eliminated for a technicality).

So the video of Margaret and Denali kind of shows us how culture defines the way we see Drag and its accoutrements. Everybody's got an opinion about Drag because everybody sees it through their eyes and through their experiences. Not to mention their culture. In Drag, like in life, one size definitely does not fit all.

XOXO

P.S. also, while you're here, get a load of Denali in her element.



Comments

  1. I agree that RPDR should be seen as a stepping stone to a greater career, whether you win, or are top four, or even bottom twelve; Miss Vanjie anyone? It's a chance to get noticed and build upon that.
    Sidenote: Denali! Dayum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's something some people (including some Drag queens) fail to see. Miss Vanjie is a perfect example.
      And can Denali perform!!
      Dayum indeed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. What a good skater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And that adds a fantastic dimension to her Drag.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I like the video. And that voice. Very stylish. I have issues with RPDR. It's ageism at its absolute worst. Mildly misogynistic. Sexist as hell. Catty. I am glad it is there, so the world can grow more comfortable with drag... I have, because of it. But ultimately, it is cloying and manipulative and does not represent. I hold Ru responsible for that. Queen needs to change that sh%t up. It's long overdue for a revolution... yes, even drag needs to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh handsome I love you! But you find the show Catty? That is pretty representative. Have you been backstage at a drag show?!?!?! I ve seen some pretty fun antics and some other that got very high tension.

      Delete
    2. I kind of agree with some on some things here, but it's a reality show before and foremost. And there's a format for that: storylines, drama and mostly, eyes on the screen. It's also RuPaul's idea (her name is on the title!) and that counts.
      The show has evolved but of course it has room to grow: see the UK two seasons and the upcoming Australian version. And catty? Reading is FUNDAMENTAL.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Ah, over on Maddie's blog, I wondered if maybe RPDR had run its course. Not that Ru needs it...gurl has built up a treasure chest to rival Midas. Denali's voice - I like it!! And what a skater, to boot! Let's see THAT in the talent competition. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Big....I do believe the US version should hang it up. One should always go out on top.

      Delete
    2. I think that RPDR could still do much good. Is it going to please everybody? Nope. Will seasoned performers find shit that doesn't work with it. Of course! It's like being a chef and watch Cupcake Wars!
      Drag Race has brought an art that was relegated to Wednesday nights in tiny bars to a world audience to Middle America's living rooms. Does it need to grow? Absolutely. And it has done it. Can it be better? It may. But at this point, it's a moneymaker. Hence the conundrum.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Where to start? I have not seen this drag show, but loved the video! And you'd be correct again and I totally agree with Denali, that this is more what most drag queens and drag lovers would like to see. It far more represents true drag and all it's campiness. The first several seasons of drag race were more like this, but then after Jinkx won, season 6 started to get more industry. commercial and branded riddle. Thank the Godess Bianca was on that season. And Denali is right again, a queen shouldn't have to amass a fortune just to go on the show. These days I would bet Ru couldn't dress, do her hair, or make up without a full team, ok? I think it's why I prefer the international versions more so over the US version. Especially the Holland and UK even more so over the Canadian version. Deep down, I think I knew Jimbo and IIona and Anastarzia would never win. They were too campy, and we did have Brooklyn judging, who seems to prefer just fish. The Australian version has one hell of a line up of talent and queens, and just may be the best season in this whole franchise. The queens from down under are the whole idea of drag. So when I see these versions and come back to the US version , I feel deflated and ho hum.

    The Us version is also to blame for changing drag here. It's almost forcing drag to become a hyrdid of a pageant queen and cookie cutter drag. Every time I meet a new queen, sure they are stunning...but they all have the same contour, and the fishy look and can stand and pose. There are so few queens anymore up and coming who could fill the shoes of the likes of Coco, Bunny, Heklina, Peaches Christ,Varla, Hedda and Dina Martina, and the like. I think it's why when many of the New York queens get on drag race , especially ones from Brooklyn, like Kandy Muse, Aja, Dusty, Acid Betty and the like, aren't fans favorites, because they don't embrace the fishy drag. But they are like what I like, as they bring the campy and antics to the scene. TYes, there are times Kandy makes me laugh. Drag to me will always embrace the campy outlandish drag, with some glam. That why this Mexican version looks so fun and great. They should also be commended for opening it to all types of queens and kings! All are the drag scene. And your right about well known queens, they don't always do well on the show. Charlie Hides? He is incredible!!!! I dare say the Ru of Britain. But pretty clear he was there to get viewers sucked in the watch.

    I have on good authority season 14 might have some very good and different queens on. One friend I know might have gotten on, but he won't tell me yet. His silence is speaking volumes to me. And then I know several other like my gal pal Magnolia Applebottom who has applied year after year to get on.

    And I like Denali's drag better in this video then on the show. But he could still come sleep with me if he wanted!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby, I have nothing to add here.
      That's the reason you're our Drag Authority.
      And Denali was the trade of the season, along with Joey Jay.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. What does "draga" mean (lower case d on purpose)? I saw a french movie where they called a gay hustler "draga". He was rough street trade and not Drag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind,.....I made my husband watch the movie and the language from one guy was not French, but rather Serbian/Croation, and it is feminine slang meaning 'dearie'.

      Delete
    2. Draga in Spanish means Drag Queen. It's gendered, given the origins of Drag.
      Ohhh rough street trade?
      And I'm cackling here imagining you having your husband watch a movie out of curiosity. Love it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Just from the little bit of the clips from the video, and I would like La Más Draga much better. I love drag queens, there fun, but they do all tend to look the same here now. One drawback to Drag Race. They have started to set a template to use.

    I think Maddie is right too. I think the Australian version will be off the hook. Their drag is so camp and they are not to be held back. On a trip there several years ago, they are terrific, some of the campiest and funniest drag I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic contest! The challenges are very interesting and I've learned tons about Mexican culture through it. The performers are also very different (obvious) and there's been Bio Queens and Androgynous Queens participating (and winning!).
      I love campy, snarky, weird Drag.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.