Go back in time

Show more

Lacerado

 



A long time ago my friend Merlin Purpura gave me some of his photos (which I treasured) and I took them with me through several of my incarnations and moves all over the place. As you may know, I love putting up (and wearing) art that somebody I know has created. I think people who are creative and can create art are fantastic. Slightly jealous, I am. 

So the story with these photographs (I think there were three, originally, with one showing the very attractive model's very appealing backside) is that I had them with me during one of my relationships and when that relationship ended, I lost track of the artwork. And it was not only these photos: some silk printings and some woodcut artwork people made especially for me were also lost. Casualties of my stupidity.

You see, I was in a relationship with this one man and he decided to move away to try new things in his job. I stayed in Pittsburgh for a while while he tried the waters in the West Coast. After a while, we moved all the stuff we had in storage from the East Coast to the West Coast in a U-Haul truck. That's been my biggest road trip ever. At the beginning, he was renting a furnished apartment but then he decided to go for an unfurnished one (those apartments are prohibitively expensive!) I stayed with him there for awhile but then things came to a head when he wanted me to leave my graduate program and go live there with him full time. 

I did not want to leave grad school and he did not want to move back to Pittsburgh. Long story short, he broke up with me and a few months later he got it on with a twenty-something year old who was more on his wavelength. I wished him well and moved on. But all my artwork was left there. I only kept some things in the tiny place I called home at the time and never asked for those things back. Not only because after the breakup he tried to get back with me (I don't know what happened to the twenty-four-year-old?) and I said no, but because after I said no he got really mad and emailed all my friends telling them I had taken advantage of him. Yep. It was not friendly. So that was the story behind me losing those prints.

I mentioned to Merlin I wished I would have kept those photos and he, being the awesome person he is, sent me the original files last week for my bday. I'm planning on having them printed sometime soon and I'll be putting them up somewhere (my bedroom, for inspiration?). I know I can find space, given that I live in this basement garden apartment with tons of weird wall space. I love those photos. Merlin used to teach communications and media and he takes fabulous photographs. These are very St. Sebastian, IMHO and I can't wait to have them framed. 

My friends are awesome. I am a very lucky person.

XOXO




P.S. I think the best part of this story is the email he sent me, which defies translation, really. So I won't do that because it's way too fab in its natural state. But suffice it to say that it brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face:

Considerando:

Que hoy es su cumple;
que Usted tenía y admiraba estas obras;
Que para el autor es un orgullo que Su Mercé las tenga;
Que en tiempos de pandemia los servicios postales son una tortura (y unas tortugas);
Que con la tecnología es más eficiente reenviarle un apreciado regalito (aunque hubiese preferido regalárselo ya impreso);

Resuelvo unilateralmente:

Artículo Único:

Enviar por este medio copias originales de Lacerado 1 y Lacerado 2, para que a bien disponga ordenar su impresión en Oduperly o donde Usted considere oportuno, exhibirlas en sus aposentos y disfrutar su observación. 

Parágrafo:

Unirse a los regocijos públicos por su onomástico, enviándole un caluroso y apretado abrazo.

Comuníquese y cúmplase.

Dado en Zaragoza, Aragón, España, a los veintiún días del mes de marzo, del año del Señor 2021.

Firmado, MP.

Comments

  1. A beautiful gift and a very precious friend. Being Italian, I didn't need to read his text translated into English or Italian, because it is very understandable to me. He has a lot of imagination. Yes, that's right, you are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is and yes, it is. And yes, I am.
      And I forgot how close Italian is from Spanish.
      Glad you enjoyed it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. You are very fortunate to have met so many wonderful people in your life, babe. It was awesome of him to gift those files to you. Good luck finding someone to print them for you. Maybe Hobby Lobby?

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and Google Translate did a decent job. I could feel the affection he has for you.

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness for google translate, no?
      And yes, I am very fortunate, indeed. Those people have been instrumental on keeping me on my lane! LOL
      And I would burn in LilNasX's hell before I give my money to the fuckers at Fucky Loony. I'll have them printed at work. They printed the photos I have on my gallery wall, after all.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Nice. Personal gifts from someone talented are always to be treasured, and passed on to heirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.
      I have already written down on my will who's gonna get what. One needs to start early.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. How sweet of him to send such a treasured gift. The photos are quite lovely. The note is too. You should print that and, perhaps, put it into a sleeve and attach it to the back of the framed photos. Provenance, amiright? XOXO

    And, happy birthday, Six. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a darling.
      And I love the photos. And that's a great idea, to print the 'proclamation' and attach it to the back of the photos! Never thought about it.

      And thanks, Big! *smooches*

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Glad you're getting your art back. I, too, love things made by friends, and treasure them greatly.
    Oh, and the old boyfriend can fuck all the way off. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're fantastic, aren't they?
      And he did fuck all the way back to CA, I think. I have not heard much about him in the last years. Not that I need to, mind you.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. ummmmmm, nice looking guy. BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES, LUV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Merlin had very, very attractive muses.
      And thanks, daahleenk!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. What a great friend Merlin is to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is!
      We had a blast every time we chat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Friends like this are to be kept close and treasured. Gifts like this of Merlin are the best kind. I have several like that. gifts from friends. like homemade pottery, photograghy, drawings of myself and knitted items...hey Anne Marie. I treasure them all.

    Uncanny. Your story of the split is mine with my ex to a t. We basically split because he wanted to take a job on the West Coast , and I just took a job, and didn't want to give it up. I had uprooted twice for him, and started a new...couldn't do it again. But luckily were still close and good friends. Funny part? He ended up back in Philly anyhow!!!! Thank god too, because of Buster!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. I love my friends.
      And I've seen your photos/drawings I think. They're amazing.

      And I think many people find themselves in the situation we've been. It's a tough decision. I'm glad you're still close. Me and this ex are not. He ended up being quite unpleasant at the end. Not that I should be surprised, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. First, Happy belated Birthday!

    MEN! (ugh!).....

    You are very lucky to have long term friends. That photo is fab. I'm wondering how you framed it/them.

    I passed over a full scholarship with a stipend for my relationship who was fucking around on me . But you are a much nicer person than I. Then again, I'm . lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimmy! *smooches*
      And yes, I am. I've had friends that have kept in touch for twenty and more years!
      I am going to try something simple and black, so they'd fit anywhere in my space.

      And I cannot believe you did that! Gosh the things we do sometimes for men! Ugh.
      And I wish I were nice! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. When was your BD??? Why was I not informed? What is this?

    Okay... over it. Glad you reclaimed some of our lost love. The art, I mean. Men. Come and go... but those trapped in a photograph are forever!

    Kizzes. And Happy Belated Birthday, dear. And you are edu-ma-cated! And I love your garden apartment. You should be proud. You live in Chicago... one of the coolest places on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      It was on the 21st. The Spring Equinox. Yep, that's me.
      And I am glad I got those prints back. I think they're fab. You are right. Men come and go. No biggie.

      Thanks Upton *smooches*. And yes, I got an educumation. It was necessary LOL

      I love my place, too. I'm very lucky.

      XOXO

      Delete
  11. Me he inflado de orgullo (sano) cual pavo real, por tu palabras y las de tus seguidores. Muchísimas gracias a todos. ¡Amigos son la familia que uno escoge! Veinte años no es (son) nada para toda una vida en la que lleva uno a los amigos en medio del alma. ¿Para qué si no, tantas vivencias, risas, lágrimas, distancias y cercanías juntos? Disfruta tu regalo. Un abrazo desde el otro lado del Atlántico, de orilla a orilla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. De nadddd
      Se lo merece! Como parte de mi familia putativa, usted siempre está conmigo. Por que nadie nos quita lo bailao!
      Mil besos, desde la PM.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.