Go back in time

Show more

Unconscious Bias


Unconscious bias (also known as implicit bias) refers to unconscious forms of discrimination and stereotyping based on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, ability, age, and so on. It differs from cognitive bias, which is a predictable pattern of mental errors that result in us misperceiving reality and, as a result, deviating away from the most likely way of reaching our goals. 


First things first: I think this collection is fantastic. Even without the James Baldwin quotes or Mos Def being fabulous. I would wear everything Virgil would give me except one or three things (you'll see why, not even I am THAT avant-garde! Wearing Chicago? No, thanks). But what called my attention was that Virgil Abloh apparently created the collection while taking into account what Unconscious Bias is. Abloh (a Chicago boy!) has always been very cerebral with his collections and that has made me a fan. Not that I could ever buy any of his pieces (I'm more of a Zara/H&M kind of guy, now that TOPMAN is off the list in the US) but I look at him for inspiration.  And inspiration can come from the least expected sources. Look at what he has to say about this collection:

“The collection strives to illuminate and neutralise the prejudice we create around people by keeping the dress codes related to certain archetypes, but changing the human values we associate with them,”... “The message is humanitarian: creating the same opportunities, dreams, and freedom for children of all races, genders and sexualities when asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”


We all buy into an archetype. From Dave wearing his orange bib (apron?) at work,  to Bob wearing his sweaters,  to Maddie wearing those green briefs, to me wearing Anne Marie's fab knitwear, we all buy into an archetype, like it or not. Our clothes serve as signals of our identity, profession or gender. They describe us and they tell people things that we don't say. They telegraph our unconscious biases. We dress based on our presumptions about ourselves and our clothes betray our sexual proclivities, our social standing and the biases we carry from the way we have interacted (and interact) in society. Our clothes speak volumes. 


No matter how pedestrian our clothes be (and maybe exactly for that same reason), we are always sending a message to those who see us in our everyday lives. It's always there: you cannot escape getting dressed in the morning.  Not even during the pandemic, where you get out of your PJ's to do a zoom meeting or you just go to work because you  have never stopped working. So when you get dressed tomorrow, even if it's to get out of your pajamas, you're dressing for someone. Even if that someone is you. Because you also need reassurance of who you are when you look in the mirror. It's useless to lie to ourselves, darling. You know the truth. And so do I.


XOXO


P.S.: Some of my favs from this collection:


The cut of the pants and the details in the coat. Those shoes!

I'd probably do without the gloves, but the rest? Yes.The detail on the waistcoat and the belt are superb.




I'd cut a bitch for this number. Everything is fabulous. Check out the kicks. Gimme. Now.




I'd wear this to go to dinner with Maddie in full drag.  We'd probably stop the fucking traffic. We would probably enjoy that. 





This is so fucking elegant. The cloth is a call to his heritage. Also, James Baldwin.




I could not choose one, so I posted them both. I love the skirt/jacket suit combo. And I could stand in the background while Dave plays his pipes. And the draping of that cloth over that hoodie with that belt? *Chef's kiss*. Styling. So fab.


Comments

  1. Pedestrian. That’s pretty much my style. I’m not flamboyant and don’t like to bring attention to myself. That’s one of the reasons I took you to help me buy a tie for my brother’s wedding. Then I had to YouTube how to tie a bow tie. Still have to go there whenever I wear it since I don’t do ties often.

    I’m more of a function over style guy. I like to be comfortable. I could totally see you in any of your faves. You are a peacock and like your splash of color and style. That’s one of the many things o like about you.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Well I remember you had that cute pink-ish-blush polo shirt that was quite fashionable. But I know what you mean. I think you're practical.
      And I do like style. LOL I wish I had money.
      BTW, thnx for the bday H&M card!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Oh so very fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?
      Loved the collection. Those super long coats? Fantastic. I also loved the skirts.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. A couple of things there I would wear,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      I think that's what we get from sashion shows: we think what we could adpat to OUR style.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Costumes are lost on me. Gray and black are nice. A dark rust? Not much for patterns. Utilitarian. I enjoy all the thought that goes into a given collection. It's that story that elevates fabric to art. Whether the designer accomplishes all of his goals? That's in the eye of the beholder. I wish you would model for us. I would love to see what's in your closet. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And you can just cut the head off for privacy. I did a few post like that. I think Six has got to have hot fashion and lewks!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha oh, please! LOL
      And I love black and gray: those are my go-to. I think that when designers deliver a collection and give us a guide as to what they were thinking, the whole thing acquires a whole new meaning. I loved the references to uprooting and stereotyping.
      And I could never model anything. Too shy! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. very nice and you've for sure great tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thnx, Xersex.
      I have Champagne taste and a Beer budget. LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. You must be tall. It takes a person of height to pull these looks off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣😂🤣

      Delete
    2. Haha no, I'm not. I'm barely 5'10". Maybe that's why I like tall men?
      I'm shameless, though. And if I like something, I'll wear it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'm not buying into an archetype because wearing one is a requirement. Everyone has to wear one, even the CEO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You buy into the archetype cause you LIKE IT. Your cycling shorts and your Dino socks are telegraphing a message to us. That's how you see yourself. The CEO wears Brooks Brothers cause he can and he must.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Love the last two. I love boundaries pushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      I didn't know which one to choose, so I chose both. I love the skirt. I want one.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Since I am of the stage, the first outfit is the only one I could see myself wearing.
    Oh, you are so right about bias. In our 20s, on our honeymoon, wife #1 and I went into a jewelry store. The man in the office looked up at us, then went back to reading a magazine. He refused to come out and take care of us. Asshat. But, remember that scene in "Pretty Woman" where she goes back to that first store? Yes, we did. He looked up, we flashed out purchases made elsewhere. We said, "Your loss." and walked out. Some people just have to learn the hard way. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I love that story.
      I have not really run into that situation but I WISH I would because I would parade some Prada in front of the bitch. LOL
      Some people do have to learn the hard way.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Very visually striking collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      I love his use of color and texture. The telling the story, too. Travel was a theme.
      I want all of those bags!
      XOXO

      Delete
  11. It's a stunning collection and I love it....on the runway. To wear it would feel very fussy and annoying ...like I would have to constantly be adjusting things. But like all the little companies..it will filter down into other incarnations for daily consumption. And you had to mention Topman!! I still miss them. I used to go nuts in their baby! I have been actually bored of fashion lately. As Andre Leon Talley would say-" It's a famine of fashion!"

    So wear your plaid cutie...we will stop traffic somewhere!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Absolutely.
      Cerulean, am I right? The styling sets trends, though. I have seen the wraparound skirts with Doc Martens already. And the cut of the suits.
      And I LOVED Topman! They closed stores in the States, I think. Our loss. Ther fashion was accessible and good quality.
      A famine of fashion is right!

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. Does it count that I get this excited about sweat pants and gym shorts? Ha.
    You have wonderful taste, Sixpence, and I wish I had your fashion sense.
    I have been wearing hoodies and sweats for way too long.
    I am not even sure what is in my closet anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mr. Shife
      I'll have to tell you that you're actually quite fashionable and on trend right now. It's called athleisure. LOL
      Hoodies are all the rage in Japan right now, too.
      And I have not gotten in 'real pants' in a year. I'm afraid.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.