Go back in time

Show more

Gag Reflex


Do you know what I really miss? No, it's not related to the title of this post. Would you get your mind out of the gutter for a second? KIDDING! I like your mind to be dirty at all times. But seriously, do you know what I've really missed this past year of lockdowns and pandemic and all social distancing? Artists. LGBTQ artists. Seeing LGBTQ artists live is always such a joy.

I like supporting queer artists because one, I think it's the thing to do (I'm a militant gayling) and two, I can RELATE. It's fun to go see, let's say, Kathy Griffin (she's hysterical, witty and sharp) because she's queer-adjacent. But she's not queer. I miss humor from gay performers because they speak my language: gay. One thing is to laugh our heads off when a stand-up comic tells about their lives and times and another one is to laugh our heads off when a stand-up comic tells us about OUR lives. Especially when our lives tend to be marginalized and demonized by many.

One of my favorite stand-up comedians is Joel Kim Booster. He, along with Bowen Yang (who is now on SNL) have provided me with hours of laughter. They both use their experiences as gay men to infuse their comedy with a biting, hysterically funny edge that always leaves me rolling on the floor. You see, what I find funny about queer stand-up comedy is that it does not shy away from the dark parts of being queer. It goes in with gusto and brings it all out to the light. They say what many refuse to say. They see what many do not see. They make lemonade with the unmentioned bitterness that comes with the queer experience. And once that comes to light, you realize it's not powerful anymore. 

So when I read that Grindr (that now is starting to dip its toe into creating content aimed towards queer people) was having a zoom stand up special, I decided to join in and watch them in real time. And who do I find in the lineup? Joel Kim Booster. So I was sold. Joel is very handsome and slutty and extremely funny. It's empowering seeing a queer man of color using his navigating life as the driving force to remind us in ways that may not be quite orthodox that living our lives as queer men is not always a bed of roses. There's thorns there, honey.

I don't know if you know, but Grindr is notorious for its 'no this or that' filtering (yeah, the horny Masc4Masc crowd on Grindr can be real dicks) want an example? Oh, here:

"Too short, or too tall (“over 5’7” and under 6’1”), Asian (“not into rice,” “gook free zone”), fat (“175lbs or less”), fem (“no broken wrists,” “masculinity is not subjective”), black (“no chocolate,” “All blacks, keep moving cuz I ain’t interested unless u can prove not all blacks are the exact same mkay?”), not as hot as the profile owner, Latino, ugly, hairy, old (“no older than 30”), closeted, uncloseted, bisexual, not bisexual, not a college guy, not a jock, a fag, into the scene, a ginger, Catholic, Republican, not “musc,” not “prof,” not “VGL.”


The fact that Grindr has included Black and Asian  as well as Trans comics in this lineup as well as a lesbian comic, may signal that they are on their way to make amends with what seems to be its core audience: white cis gay men. Who knew hunting for dick could be educational? So I that's what I brought for you today: Gag Reflex: a live set (well, it was live yesterday, when it launched) with queer comedians talking about life and dating. I believe it streamed in the actual app too (hopefully some men decided to stop hunting for dick in the middle of the pandemic to stream it) and many watched it on YouTube (it has thirty thousand views, so I think many watched with me). And now I bring it to you. 

I know, it's not groundbreaking to watch stand up, but you would have to accept that it is unusual to have stand up on Zoom in the middle of a pandemic. COVID-19 has changed many things. It's very difficult to make people laugh when they are not THERE (as Maddie tells us in her latest RPDR take of the Good Girls Roast) but these comedians try (and succeed, IMHO) to make us laugh. So there you go. Make yourself a cocktail/grab a beer/bring the popcorn, put your feet up and get ready to chuckle (or laugh out loud, like I did). These comedians are funny and some of their zingers go deep. After all, being gay is not all rainbows and butterflies. And they're here to say the silent part out loud.

Enjoy!

XOXO


P.S. I could not pass posting some pics of Joel Kim Booster. Because, damn! 




And here's Joel being his funny self:




Comments

  1. Thanks for posting this. I think we can all use a chuckle right about now. What with some red states starting to lift COVID restrictions and the spring break debacle in Florida and the new rise in positive cases, we need something to laugh at. I’ll check it out later today.

    And I share your affinity for Joel. Damn he’s fine. Not that I’d objectify anyone.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so! They're funny.
      And Joel is hot. I have objectified him several times...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, the pandemic is still far from being defeated, it takes patience. I wouldn't call Joel a real beauty, but he sure has personality and sex appeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obviously I smiled reading the title of this post. These types of reflexes are necessary for those who love to deep throat! These are skills too!

      Delete
    2. Ha! I knew you'd like the title LOL
      And I think Joel's personality and sex appeal would make him stand out anywhere.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Laughter is the best medicine. It really is. Thank you for posting. We could all use a laugh today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is.
      I have to remind myself that every so often.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Laughter is the key to breaking down barriers as long as it's not aimed at one particular niche group. If it can't be all inclusive, it fails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      It's funny how you always seem to miss the joke. Always.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I love anyone who can make me laugh with good smart funny humor.

    Sadly, I am the gay man who lost all interest in Kathy Griffin when she did the Thing#45 Bloody head joke and then when the shit hit the fan she acted like she had no idea it would be offensive. Bitch has made her career being offensive and she owns it which makes it funny. When she played the innocent victim, though, I lost all respect for her.

    Now, if Joel performed in his undies ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that kind of humor is something that these people have in spades.
      I hope I can see some of them live once the pandemic is over.
      Kathy I've seen live and she's hysterical. I think she panicked when Cheeto sent the government after her. I know I would have been terrified.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Joel Kim is hot. Thanks for sharing this. I would love to hear about your experiences using Grindr and other dating apps... which do you recommend? I miss live comedy. Kathleen Madigan better tour as soon as this Covid thing is over, because nobody makes me laugh harder. I adore her stories. And that is what the best comedy is all about... storytelling. Not jokes. Stories. So I look forward to that immediacy, because that's what's been missing in my life. I fear once I am free to be social? I will be one of those people who talk like they are on crack, invade other people's personal spaces and and have that big-eyed, too big for their face smile on their face all the time. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is hot. I really like his brand of humor, too. His stories are fantastic and he's very relatable. He's got a quick wit and a potty mouth. Sold!
      And yes, I did Grindr. I should write about that sometime. I may have a post or two on the topic.
      And Kathleen Madigan, huh? Gonna youtube her. And that last sentence describes me when I like something/somebody. We should have tea for two.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Coming from the state that has DeSantis, Gaetz, Roger Stone, Ben Carson, 'the other guy' and family, and over half of the Russian oligarchs in the US, I need a good laugh. This was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You my dear, deserve an award for living in that state.

      Delete
    2. OMG Jimmy.
      Florida is so beautiful and so fucked up. That's what too many Repugs in power do, after all. Glad you liked it!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I have chores to get done and will have to come back later to watch. Or check it on YouTube.

    I adore Kathy! Yes, I do. Consequently I now hate that insufferable asshat who hosts "Watch What Happens Live" and does the NY Eve thing with The Coop (I'm not too happy with him, either). Why? because they did not support Kathy in her time of crisis. And they called themselves her "friend." Asshat was the worst though with his "Kathy who? No, I don't know who that is." Grrrr.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should totally give it a try. It was tons of fun.
      And I like Kathy. She's been through the wringer. And I think it's Andy Cohen, the guy who unleashed upon us the illness that's the housewives from I don't know where. Ugh. He's kind of smarmy, isn't he?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, Six...smarmy isn't the word for Andy. He's garbage. XOXO

      Delete
    3. Have never really watched his 'especials'. I don't do a lot of reality TV, so whatever he sells, I'm not buying. Pity, he's such piece of garbage. He's gay, right? He could be an agent for change, but decides to go for the lowest common denominator.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I would watch him off Grindr. He's funny. But you know my stubborn mule side will not even let me go near Grindr. From the little I saw it's so toxic, insulting, off putting, and seems desperate. Much like Amazon, I loath it and think it's evil. Maybe the two can get into a war, and take each other out!!!!!!

    But if Joel Kim Booster wants to come make me roll with laughter he can come here in his tightly whites to make me roll with laugh while were in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is funny! Mordant, sarcastic, potty mouthed and totally funny.
      And Grindr is the devil. I don't like it, either. Most people there seem a little too hungry, a little too bitchy, a little too empty. Grindr vs Amazon? I'd watch!

      And honey, Joel can cum anytime and make me laugh...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.