Go back in time

Show more

Georgian



After being working from home for a year, the idea of being a stay-at-home worker permanently seems to have lost a little bit of its luster. When you are in the rat race of getting-up-driving-getting-to-the-office-leaving, you kind of long for a day at home. With the pandemic, I have been home literally constantly, and even though I love my place and I've arranged it to make it comfortable for me, I'll have to say that the staycation has kind of being overplayed. 

When I watched this video, the idea of staying home (or retiring) kind of made more sense: their house feels like a cocoon. Even though it's much more formal than what I would consider my 'style' (you've seen my place) I found that the personal touches and the colors they have used make this place very 'livable'. Not to mention the gardens and the yard. Can you imagine?? Goddess, yes!

I really like their use of wallpaper and the spacious nature of the rooms. People think about wallpaper and they think 1972 orange and yellow cubes. This is totally different. And that bathroom? yes, please. I have a thing for tubs (even though I don't like to take baths) in the middle of the bathroom: it's decadent and super expensive. I like people who treat bathrooms as another room and furnish it. 

One of the things that have been more difficult during the lockdown has been to separate the 'work' area from the 'living' area. I have made my desk my only designated 'work' area. I don't do video conferences from my living room or my dining room. I only 'work' from my desk, the rest of my space is for me. I even blog sometimes somewhere else besides my desk, because blogging for me is pleasure.

This is a country house, and one of them has left his job in the city to come live here and I think that's a luxury many cannot afford but in which many would like to indulge. Me included. Especially because a country house does not have the drawbacks a city house has: you don't really have to meet people and you have green spaces for yourself (and the pets you may have!). Also, if a man would have a garden planted for me, with a flower starting with each letter of my name, I'd faint. Definitely.

They obviously have people helping them decorate the house (when they mentioned someone hand dyeing the linen? Money, honey) but their personalities seem to be reflected in their surroundings. I like the combination of painted walls and wallpaper and I even fell for that library! I think it was Xersex who mentioned that our cars and our houses tend to be a reflection of who we are. I believe that may be true.

XOXO


Comments

  1. This is a gorgeous home. They have made it real livable. I like that one of them said that he focused on the kitchen. I think sometimes this is the soul of the home. That’s where people tend to congregate and enjoy themselves. Though some consider the kitchen their realm and don’t want anyone else in it.

    I couldn’t believe all of the bedrooms they have. Even the attic had bedrooms. And a separate guest house to boot. The decor in each room is $pectacular.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pretty.
      I think they like to entertain, so making the kitchen a focal point is smart. And I did notice the attic bedrooms. Those were probably for the help back in the day? Perfect for guests, I imagine.
      Yep. Money there.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I'd need about 10 of Maddie's houseboys to keep it clean, maybe more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I know right? I'm sure they don't take the Swiffer very often.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. They lost me when they said 'our country home.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they used to live in London and this was their country home.
      Everybody needs a country home, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Hmm. Oh, you know me... this? This is ripe for parody. I want to dress up like Little Edie from Grey Gardens and give them a tour of me 'puttering' around my 'estate'. LOL. "Here is the vintage 1972 settee/sofa bed with the wire running through the back that sticks into mine as I sit on it. I'd replace it but it's too heavy for me to get up the stairs, so now I've decided it's quite quaint. Except for the pain in my back." Their wallpaper makes me think of hotel rooms or over the top B&B In fact, that is how I would describe their decor - B&B. Soooo not me. I love your place, dear. You have fun taste. Very alive. Thanks for sharing. It made me laugh. OH - and I love working from home. I'm not going to tell my employer I'm vaccinated until they ask. And I'm not going back until they make me. Especially with summer. Now... if I could just get myself a wi-fi hot spot on the prairie? I would be set for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Love me some Gray Gardens!! And I am also ambivalent about the wallpaper. It goes with the house, I imagine. I do like that they mixed it with paint. Love the artwork, too.
      And I don't think we'll be going back to work until maybe the Fall. If so. I think Spring 2021 more likely...
      And I can just see you with a wi-fi hotspot in the prairie... LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I like the house, and the gardens, but all that wallpaper is very fussy for me. And it's all a bit too light for me; I like moodier rooms, so that library area is more my cup of tea. When they were touring the entry hall my first though was to have painted it a very deep blue, very bold; and then they said they'd tried sky blue but toned it way down. Therein lies our differences in style choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice that they used light colors. I do like the entry hall, though. And I loved that library. When they said talked about that wallpaper I was like 'yep, that's right'.
      I think they went for a more transitional palette. They mentioned that the rooms would work both in winter and summer. Their winters are probably gloomy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This is not a simple house, it is a villa!
    it is obvious that every lockdown there is more than livable.
    I repeat: we express what we have inside out, so homes, cars, personal computers reflect what we have inside. They reflect our soul. Like what we wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I agree with you. It's a villa.
      And yes, a house like that would make any lockdown better.
      And I agree with you about us expressing what we have inside with our possessions.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Taking care of the earth and the flowers and fruits is also therapeutic!

      Delete
  7. The Brits are not afraid of color and wallpaper. After all, it is grey and dreary there a lot of the time. I wonder how much land they have as they must need a large parking pad for 'The Help'. The one shot of the video I loved was the sculptured mowed path. Something not done here much in the states.

    My other half is as happy as a pig in shit, working from home. He dreads going back to the office downtown. I can't wait for him to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that's what I thought when they mentioned their winters.
      I think they do have more than just the property where the house sits. Their gardens are super pretty.
      Hahaha I can imagine him loving to work from home. I have a long commute, so I feel him.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Okay, they really had me at the dog. LOL. What an estate! It really is not a home, what with the garden, the woods, the "annex." Not my style of decoration, but it is tasteful. My taste runs a lot closer to yours. The wallpaper I remember from the 60s/70s: flocked. Did you attribute the hand-dyed linen to money? Oh, honey - the artwork from Christies screams money. But, why not? They earned it. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doggie was adorable!
      And yes, it's beyond what we think as a 'house'. And it's very tasteful. I did notice the artwork, but hand-dyeing the linen? I thought it was absolutely decadent. LMAOOO

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. They say money doesn't buy happiness but I'd like to win the lottery and test that theory, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly.
      I do wonder what I'd do with such a big house, though.
      I think I'd spend the money in other things...

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I LOVE THE HOUSE! Is it me? Nope. But there are parts of me in there. I love that wallpaper in the library I'm a sucker for a nice Marrakesh print. I have a good friend who would call this home "too faggy". I can appreciate it though, but it does look high maintenance and fussy. But if your home all the time.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked the house.
      And that makes three of us salivating over that library. It was very cozy. And I like it faggy. Most times it means artsy and slightly precious. And yes, I can imagine it requires looking after. A lot.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.