Go back in time

Show more

oh, Jackson



Much has been written about the effect RuPaul's Drag Race has had on the Drag scene in the United States and abroad ( well, there's the UK version, the Thailand version, the Down Under, the Netherlands, the Canada and now the Spain version).  It's been lauded and also accused of making Drag much more expensive while watering it down. Everybody's got an opinion on RuPaul's drag race.

But I'm not here to argue about RuPaul and her show. Very few people paid attention to it when it landed (after knocking on MANY doors) on the then-gay-only- LOGO channel ten years ago. But now everybody has something to say about it. RuPaul had a vision and Barbato and Bailey produced it. They took a gamble and it's paid off. Handsomely. The niche series has gone on to win several Emmys for its host and team. And it has also helped the career of many a Drag performer, both performers on the show and off it. 

Trixie Mattel is one of those Drag artists. I liked Trixie during her time on the show. With a mix of self-deprecating humor and a quick with, Trixie seemed very relatable and entertaining. I then discovered that she could sing, too. Trixie has had her moments, and I kind of stopped paying attention to her when I heard rumors of her being shitty to other contestants (recently I got to hear it from Kennedy Davenport) but I guess she was just being a businesswoman. You see, they say Drag Race doesn't really teach anything, but I think it does. The 'challenges' in the reality series (because it IS, after all, a reality series) give the queens in the series and any other Drag performer willing to learn, the blueprint to create a career. It's like a MOOC for Drag artists, if you will. And Trixie has been a good student. With a makeup line,  several records out, live performances and a documentary and several YouTube shows (with Katya!) to choose from, Trixie has applied everything she learned in the show and more to become the Trixie Mattel we are watching today sing with Orville Peck. 

Yes, I'm writing about Trixie today because I ran across her collab with Orville Peck. And if you have followed this blog for a second, you now know how much I like Orville Peck. Country music is not my favorite style of music, but I can listen to it if I like the artist. I'm vers like that. And Orville Peck's voice does things to me. He sings and I get the tingle to mingle. And I'm not even talking how much I enjoy watching him move. Yes, I will listen to country music if Orville Peck is singing because I am easily swayed by a man's charms. 

And I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way. During my rabbit-hole excursions on Instagram, I ran across this on deuxmoi (sorry guys!):



I know, it's not confirmed, but I guess I was not totally misguided when I let my mojo tell me I'd look good on Orville. I'm sure I would. So if you happen to have his phone number, drop it in my DMs. I'll be forever thankful.

XOXO

P.S, Upton, Jackson was made famous by Johnny Cash. I wonder how Trixie and Orville's updated version squares with his and June's? 

Comments

  1. Being a fan of Cash and carter, I do like their version better. But this is fun and both Trixie and Orville have nice vices. I don't quite get the fringed mask thing, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I find it very distracting ALL the time. As RuPaul said to Valentina, Take off the damn mask, what part of lip-synch do you not understand? LMAO.

      Delete
    2. It's about mystery, and I do know a little bit about mystery.

      Delete
    3. Isn't it fun? I thought that it was very well done.
      'Drag Queen Videos' have been updated.
      LOL And I don't really mind the mask, either.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. They do sound great together. Of course, they both have great voices. I'm like you, Six. If I like the voice, I'll listen to Country. Trixie's makeup bugs me in the video, though. The perfectly razor-sharp straight line is just....all wrong IMO. But what do I know? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do!
      I was nicely surprised. I like Orville's voice, and Trixie was up to the task (according to me, that is). And I have listened to Country music before. I don't get it all the time, but you know...
      And that's just Trixie's trademark make up LOL. She's run with it ever since she was on Drag Race. She's also made money off of it, mind you. Good business sense.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Trixie Mattel is not one of my faves but I love Orville Peck so I enjoyed this video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised to read that Orville Peck was also once a dancer .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was also in a punk band!
      He's talented. And sexy. I like him.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. A dancer, eh? No wonder I like him!! LOL. XOXO

      Delete
  5. Nope. I have tried and tried and tried, and I can for the life of me not get into Orville Peck. With me it's like trying to make fetch happen. It isn't. The mask bothers me and for not reasons about the pandemic. LMAO. It just looks dumb and annoying. to much of a schtick.

    Meanwhile as you know, I love and adore Trixie. From her, to her music and style. I met her several times and had no issues, and she is good friends with a good friend of mine...who said the same. But from way to many queens in hometowns and the drag circuit, her and Katya are getting a terrible and snotty reputation. They were even told to take their attitude and leave at one show. Me personally didn't start seeing that side till she and Katya started collaborations. If I'm her, I would distance myself from Katya who can be a nasty cunt. There is another side to her fans don't see. But I aint one to gossip now.

    The latest drama is queens turning on Tashima now, you instead of putting the stop to bullying Kandy is egging it on. Which.... shame on her. Kandy can be loud and bold, not no one deserves to be bullied and picked on. Another example of where we should be sticking together as a community. Me thinks Tashima may be bitter she didn't last longer. I love ya doll.... but Go back to the pageants hunty.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahaha
      I love that you quoted Mean Girls!!! And I don't really mind the mask, to tell you the truth.

      And I've read here and there that Trixie got herself into trouble with other girls. I did not know of the diva behavior (but I did know that Katya did have some issues and had to take a break a while ago). And I bet you've got some hot tea.

      I cannot understand the drama. I think Kandy brought it onto herself, TBO, with her tweets and her Instagram Live shenanigans. I don't care about her. She will be brought back from obscurity one day to stir drama, just like Silky.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Trixie and Orville have fun with this little ditty. It’s not too twangy which I don’t really care for. Orville does have a good voice but the draperies over the face is a little too much for me. I know it’s his schtick but it’s distracting. And we can dream about the rumors about his endowment 🍆

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did seem to be having fun, which makes the song even more fun, right?
      I like the voice and the rest. And I don't mind the draperies LOL.
      And now I'm thinking about that rumor, too...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Hee, hee. Oh, dear. Well, happy for Trixie. Orville is the Sia of country music! But he wears far too many clothes. :) He is a sexy MF and yes, I get it. His schtick is a little thick for my taste... bordering on Max Headroom territory. As for this version the song. Well... no, dear... it does not even come close to the classic. And many traditional country artists have recorded this. Loretta and Conway have a version, which I adore. Now, Trixie is many things... but she is not what I would call an exact singer. Sounds fine, but she's behind the beat all the damn time... dragging this thing a bit. This is a sassy little hoot of a song. It needs snap. Orville? Up to the game. Trixie... well, she's lagging, hon. Thanks for sharing. And those are my two cents. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes.
      Orville needs to get naked. LMAOOO. I think he's hot.
      And I can imagine the Cash version is better. What with being iconic and all. But I was pleasantly surprised, well, taking into account that I'm your garden variety listener.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I've seen this a couple of the times, and it's very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought it was very good.
      It made me stop and listen, which is what I imagine Trixie wanted, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. last pic made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      It's unsubstantiated gossip, but I like the idea of Orville being a sexy beast.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. gossip? I hope it's the truth instead!

      Delete
    3. Oh, same!
      DeuxMoi publishes people's opinions and recollections of encounters with the rich and famous, but I think it's true. Orville is a very sexy man, so being good in bed would not be too far fetched.

      XOXO

      Delete
    4. a privilege and a pleasure!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.