Go back in time

Show more

Power



How dare you?
And how could you?
Will you only feel bad when they find out?
If you could take it all back
Would you?

Billie Eillish is 19. I know. Time flies. She has literally grown under the watchful eye of the world. A world that has not been kind of other girls and young women growing up under its relentless eye. Billie has been very successful in her short career (she blew up at thirteen after she uploaded a song online for one of her teachers) and now has more than forty million subscribers to her YouTube channel, more than 83 million followers on Instagram and five million on Twitter. Not bad for a nineteen year old who has lived all her life in the new millenium. 

I like Billie's music. I have both her Don't Smile at Me EP (I love Bellyache!) and her When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? album (Good Girls Go To Hell is my fav there). And now her official second record is coming out this Summer and will probably buy that one, too. It's funny, because I don't really buy a ton of music. I can count the albums from current artists that I've bought in the last five years, because I mainly buy music on vinyl. But I think I'll make another exception with this new record.

When artists grow up in front of the public, it's sometimes hard for them to get people to understand that they cannot be children or teens forever. I think Billie is taking the opportunity of releasing this album to tell the world that. The first single, Your Power, is a deceptively mellow song. The punch comes with the lyrics, of course. As most of Billie's songs, written by her or with her Brother Finneas, this one sounds wise beyond her years. It reminded me of Hands Clean, by Alanis. And Billie says that she wrote it after she observed how things worked in the music industry for women.

It's a call Billie makes to men (because it's usually men) who abuse their power and the consequences that has on them and the women they abuse. Told you it was deceptively mellow. Did you know that most women have been accosted by men at one time in their lives? That a high number of women have felt the need to fist their car keys when walking across a parking lot? Did you know that many women have had to learn to be en garde since they're teenagers? 

This time around, gone are the super baggy clothes that hid her from the prying eyes of a public that usually tears women apart using the way they look as a weapon. She's taken a step that many female artists have had to take before: establishing themselves as young women in charge of their own selves. It's going to come as a shock for some people used to seeing her bopping on a stage in knee-lenght shorts and baggy tops. Billie has become an Avatar for many a woman and young women all over. Her struggles with body positivity (who hasn't felt that?) have made her a somehow reluctant voice for many, when she has directly addressed the haters that have tried to come for her when it was obvious she was not a little girl anymore. 

I like this 'new' Billie. She's still the artist I've liked for years, right? The fact that the black and lime green hair is gone and the clothes may have changed does not change the fact that I like her music. I'm looking forward to listening to this album. And when it comes out, I'll make sure I get it to play it while driving with the windows down this summer.

XOXO

P.S. She's really letting them HAVE it with this 'new' image.










Comments

  1. She has grown up into quite the assertive woman that needs to be seen. This is her life and she’s in charge.

    It’s horrible what women have to go through to be recognized. They’re treated like a commodity and have to jump through hoops men don’t. And the protections they have to use from keys to mace is shameful.

    Grow up men and treat women, all women, with respect.

    XOXO 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that she is pretty much in charge. She's got a good support group in her family. She says they keep her grounded.
      And women go through some shit....

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I have a difficult time enjoying these singers who employ that kind of baby voice. It seems more affect than anything else, and make me wonder, if at age 40, they'd still have a career singing like a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stylistic choice, i guess. Who would have thought that Olivia Newton-John, Amy Winehouse and Billie Eillish are all sopranos?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm mostly thinking of Ariana Grande who sings mindless tween girl pop in a baby doll voice...STILL!!!!

      Delete
  3. A very interesting life!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Eilish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too.
      It's been quite the ride for her. After the Grammy and the Oscar...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I'll give her the ability to grow up and out of the little-girl image. You're right, every teen sensation has to go through it; singer and actors. Some manage to make it, some don't. I hope she does. I won't change a radio station if one of her songs comes on, but haven't purchased any. There is something about the way she uses the voice that I have never cared for. Vocal tones mature around age 30. Maybe that's when I'll jump on board. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that child stars and teen idols have it rough. They basically have to grow up quite fast and some don't get to enjoy being young.
      And I think I'll get her CDs. All I have is digital. And to tell you the truth, is the way she uses her voice what I like. I like her lyrics, also. Very insightful and somehow mature beyond her years (she's fucking 19!!).
      And I would like to hear her belt out. The way her voice seems contained makes me think she can 'sing'.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I'll bet she could belt one out. I usually judge vocal ability by a live performance. If they can sing - I mean, ***sing*** - without all the contraptions manipulating and modulating, then they've got the talent. But, yet, her performances on SNL have not impressed. XOXO

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I really like her.
      I like what she has to say and I like her vision.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I agree with Bob. She's dressing like an adult, yet vocally selling herself as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that she's doing it in her own terms. And she's singing about sexual abuse and men in power that are dicks. The restrained voice adds to the punch the video provices.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that many women/girls are finding their voices in todays environment. I think about artists like Kesha who have had to fight and the fall out from them finding courage to raise their voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally!
      Both Kesha and Gaga have talked about abusive producers and people in the industry. The shit they have to go through!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I'm probably not her biggest fan, though I do like a few of her songs. I'm still caught up in new Garbage. I like her new look FAR better, I don't feel the need to take a bath every minutes after seeing her.... but must admit she looks far from comfortable, and dare say, a bit forced on the Vogue cover. I hope this was her choosing and not the mag. I would hate to think this would be the beginning stage of yet another singer "giving in". A bit surprised to tell you the truth she did the cover...it's so establishment.

    And as we know Anna Wintour get the cover she wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garbage is the ish. Love Shirley.
      And I think this look is part of Billie growing up and being more comfortable with her body. For the longest time she seemed to refuse to let others dictate how a pop singer should look. People was talking about her body when she was barely fifteen. And according to the interview in Vogue, she chose corsetry to bring up the message of being constrained, same with the vintage Pin-up look. It's an interesting piece.
      And she's done several Vogue covers. I think this is her first Vogue UK though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I have both her CDs. It's a mixed bag, for sure. Some of it is very catchy, but her vocal style... on the fence. I wonder what her fans will think of her Vogue photos. The one thing I like about her was how she didn't play the T&A game so many do in order to get attention. Thanks for sharing. The boyfriend is hella upset about those photos, btw. That's why I wonder about her base. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find her style intriguing. Of course, I know nothing about music LOL
      I would love to know your opinion about the vocal style. If she's a soprano, how can she sing so... muted? I don't find the sound childish, as many people do. The breathiness makes it sound to me very intimate but bound.
      I love the Vogue photos. When she's posed before it's been in a more fun, younger style (she loves Gucci!). And she refused to play by the pop tart book.
      I would not worry about the fans liking the spread. Her new hairstyle got two million likes in two hours on Instagram. Tell the boyfriend to get the magazine! The interview is super cool!

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. The boy is a HUGE fan of hers, and was very upset she did the cover. I think he views Vogue as giving in to mainstream America and to the masses, selling her soul to speak. I didn't care one way or the other. But I do think there may be some artist who'd die, before they did a Vogue cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh really?
      I think this is her first VogueUK cover, but she's done Vogue already here. I have two. And you know that her music is too 'weird' to be mainstream: there she is on a hill, singing about sex abuse with a python wrapped around her.
      I would not worry.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.