Go back in time

Show more

Amen Break




Louis Vuitton presented the Spring-Summer 2022 Collection by Virgil Abloh in the film “Amen Break” on June 24th, 2021. I had no idea what ‘Amen Break’ meant. so I immediately went down the rabbit hole that is google looking for it. 

The Amen break is a drum break that has been widely sampled in popular music. It comes from the 1969 track "Amen, Brother" by the soul group the Winstons, released as the B-side of the 1969 single "Color Him Father". The drum break lasts about seven seconds and was performed by Gregory Coleman. 
With the rise of hip hop in the 1980s, the break was widely sampled; in the 1990s, it became a staple of drum and bass and jungle music. It has been used on thousands of tracks of many genres, making it one of the most sampled recordings in history. The Winstons received no royalties for its use; bandleader Richard Lewis Spencer said it was unlikely Coleman, who died homeless and destitute in 2006, realized the impact he had made on music.

So my curiosity was piqued, of course. By the time I’ve found more about it, I knew I had heard the Amen Break somewhere. It was the rage back when I used to go to raves and used to dance all night long in huge warehouses and barns in and around Pittsburgh and North central West Virginia. Those were the days of tiny t-shirts and huge JNCO jeans (if you did raves in the nineties and early aughts, you know which jeans I am talking about) and people were carrying water bottles and candy pacifiers everywhere they went. The Amen Break was part of all those records that resonated in the night in places that only the day before would look innocuous and harmless, but that later, for one night, would be part of some collective delirium. Dozens of people would be dancing to Trance, and Tribal and Acid House and Trip Hop records all through the night. That's the memory I have of the Amen Break. 

So of course I had to pay attention to a collection with that name. I love Virgil Abloh. I consider him a Chicago boy through and through and I have a wall in my house full of his posters and some of his collabs with the Museum of Contemporary Art and IKEA. I love his vision of what fashion is or can be and the concepts and themes each one of his collections have. Of course, these are not clothes that are prèt à porter or bound to appear in your nearest Sears. Even though his clothes to me look very 'street' we all know a pair of trousers or a jacket or one of his coveted bags would send us several hundred dollars back.

He uses do-rags, wide-brim hats, hoodies, jeans and conventional menswear in ways I seldom see on the runways. And that’s exciting. I also enjoy the way he visualizes his collections. Due to COVID-19, last year's collection and this year's collection have been introduced through short mini-movies, small marvels of movement, color and sound that present Virgil's own concept of what he'd like to see us wearing. 

I see what he has created here as a nod to the sampling done in music, the evolution from one music genre to another by the use of cutting and pasting, the collection of influences that make any cultural manifestation vibrant. This collection gave me classic tailoring and Hip-Hop (like it or not, Black streetwear culture influences heavily what people wear. Black people wear in the streets what people sometimes see on runways one year later), office grays and graffitti neons. East and West. Young and Old. It remixes and reworks what goes from one generation to another. It's about our tribes and about or cliques. We are what we wear.

XOXO




A Film by Virgil Abloh

Starring GZA, Goldie, Saul Williams, Issa Perica, Caleb, JIM JOE, Kandis Williams Thelma Buabeng Octavia Burgel, Lupe Fiasco, damian Eugene Nagisa Williams, Julian Eugene Tsukasa Williams, Shabaka Hutchings, Shabaka Hutchings and Malik Le Nost

Comments

  1. I lik esome of the looks, and I get these are "ideas" and you don't need the whole outfit, but ...where would I wear some of these? I already get "looks" for some of my "lewks" here in Smallville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, these are the trends. Some people could wear the whole look, but stylists usually break them down. And if you get 'looks' it means that your lewks rule. That's how I see it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love the video itself! This video is art, regardless of the clothing collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!
      The narrative, the production values, the music, everything makes it a standalone production. The clothing and accessories make it more interesting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Skipped around through the video. Personally, I think Vutton, like every other high fashion designer, as become overrated. It's the name that counts, not the clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, LV as a brand used to sell luggage. Now it's one of the most important luxury brands in the world and that includes clothing. It would not stand on name recognition alone. The clothing is what has kept the brand alive. Younger people buy the clothes.
      They still make accessories, but it would be unlikely they'd be valued $50 billion on suitcases alone... Few people need LV trunks for trips in the Orient Express.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Does Maddie have a LV trunk from his trip?

      Delete
  4. Some interesting looks for sure. "Everything old is new again." Bright-colored suits, sports jerseys, pleated pants/skirts. Well, why not? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that, too.
      The tailoring is excellent, of course. But it's a re-invention and repurposing of fashion staples what makes it interesting. Virgil's vision is what makes it pop.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. It was a very interesting film. I think you could pull of many of the fashions down there in the Southland. As for me, I think the only thing that will work for me is the full checkered mask. 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the dream-like quality of it all.
      I also liked the father-son narrative and the idea of including some quest as the main theme. And you know I'd probably faint if I had as much as a LV bag LOL
      I can think of some stuff there you could rock, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. It was a very interesting film. I think you could pull of many of the fashions down there in the Southland. As for me, I think the only thing that will work for me is the full checkered mask. 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you have educated me today, youngster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOOO
      Let's thank google. It's incredible the amount of information you can find by just typing a phrase in your browser...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. This reminds me of Massive Attack, etc. Such a lovely time. And I know the jeans you speak of. I hung on to a pair for the longest time. Time capsules are fun. But there are reasons we bury things. Thank you for all the cool info. FUN STUFF. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Massive Attack, Portishead, the works!
      I loved Trip-Hop and Drum and Bass.
      Those JNCO jeans were such a staple. Mine ended in some Goodwill, but I should have kept them as mementos. They'd impress some Gen Z kids.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    16 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.