Go back in time

Show more

Love Seats



Oh, you thought that just because it's not June I'm not going to keep doing #PRIDE stuff? Oh, how wrong you are. Upton was mentioning that even when June is over, we should keep talking about Pride. Pride is more than June. Pride is not something that corporations decide we should do for a month and then forget (even if that's what THEY do).

Today we’ll talk about words and what they mean to people. The LGBT umbrella encompasses much more than the LGBT folk, btw. I was reading at JoeMyGod (in a post about the debacle taking place with Boston Pride) that some people were tripping with the addition of some letters to the familiar LGBT menagerie and that it was hard to keep up with the new additions. So I'm gonna go over some of the ones I think people stumble over most often, according to my incursions in the blogsphere:






'Feel seen': that is crucial. Feeling that one is part of something is very important. Especially for younger people or people just coming out. Representation: it matters. 



Oh, Intersectionality. We should explore that one more. I find it puzzling that some people would think that BIPOC people would suddenly stop being LGBTQ+. Or that the T does not exist, especially when it's People of Color who are mostly the face of that letter. We fight oppression and injustice in many different ways. We cannot search for equality by picking and choosing which letters we're going to back up and fight for. Nope. It does not work like that. People share several identities at the same time, that affect them in very uniquely ways and we cannot forget that fighting for them and alongside them is part of what we do. 



Oh, Transition. People sometimes forget that transition is a very personal experience. There's no 'right' way to do it. We all see gender differently (especially cisgender people, who are more entrenched in the binary and mostly enjoy passing privilege) and we cannot (and should not) intrude in other people's transition process. Who's to say what's masculine or feminine enough? I am one of those people who see 'transgender' as an umbrella term that covers multiple gender expressions. 





Oh. Misgendering. It really kind of rubs me the wrong way when people misgender other people. I've been hurled the 'she', 'her' pronoun to make me feel less-than (as if being a woman is less-than, but that's material for a whole post, natch) or by mistake by someone deeply limited by the binary. When people do not read obvious markers of gender in you, they can make that mistake. Cisgender people do not seem to understand how deeply harmful and disrespectful is to violate someone's wish to be referred to with the pronouns they have chosen to use. When it's a mistake, I let it slide. When it is intentional, I find it enraging. 



The idea that in 2021 people would not stop and think about the difference between gender expression and gender identity tells us all we need to know about the work we have ahead. When it comes to gender it mostly kind of boils down to the way people express their gender identity and that can get tricky for some other people to understand. We fear what we don't understand, and gender is one of the things that everybody thinks they understand and very few people actually do. We are accustomed in the binary because it's easily explained and simple (especially some people who go for the very feminine or the very masculine) and this is a very tricky terrain for them.




Ohhh Demiromantic! I will have to do a whole post on this one. It's a very interesting concept and something that made me think about my apparent inability to carelessly fuck men off of Grindr or enjoy anonymous sex in the bushes more. Yeah, I'm that boy. I need to explore this tem more.



Cisgender: I was in a talk once and a woman stood up and told us that she thought being called 'cisgender' was somehow an insult to her, because it put her in the spotlight. She made it all about herself and not about people who do not have cisgender privilege. Talk about being blind to the obvious. I find the idea of calling someone cisgender perfectly adequate. Many cisgender people I know are oblivious of the privilege they carry. They feel entitled to it. They need to buy a mirror STAT.



I think that one of the things that has been more illuminating to me has been to find out more about Asexual people. It has helped me explain so many relationships and so many interactions, that I hope many more people would explore more what it means to be Asexual. We mostly associate attraction with sexual desire but it's not the same for everybody. Knowing what being Asexual means can help us understand that someone can love us and not feel the need to act on that attraction sexually. I know. It sounds complicated. And it is. Such is life.



Passing: something that most people who find themselves in the binary (and who are usually cisgender) never even think about. Passing privilege is real. It's related to gender expression and gender identity and to the way people present themselves and are perceived. It brings to mind the Masc 4 Masc debacle, but I won't poke the bear today. 

I think it all boils down to what they say in the post:

Equipping yourself with knowledge, especially when it comes to terms and knowing how to use them correctly, is important in helping the LGBTQIA+ community to feel seen and safe. 


And remember: Pride is every day.

XOXO

Comments

  1. A very enlightening post, babe. Misgendering, though sometimes innocent, often times is used as a weapon. We need to call it out when we see it.

    Many of these terms are new to people outside of the community, and even to those within the community. Education is a wonderful thing. We need to educate ourselves so that we can defend ourselves and the less fortunate. We need to raise up those who need our help and give them the support they need.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, misgendering is brutal for the person. Talk about big microaggressions. And I think there's always going to be a term that may be considered 'new' but that at the end of the day, it's not really that new.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Very interesting!
    I tell you, however, that in Italy Prides, which take place for the most part in June, also go on in July and August in some places and towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      And I think it's great that Pride is not limited there to June. With all the shit going on, visibility is necessary, even in 2021.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Keeping in mind that words in the English language have silent letters (ie,...ght), I'm sticking with LGBT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually add the *+* at the end.
      I do find interesting learning about the new terms, though. And seeing that even corporations are becoming more and more inclusive is encouraging.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I have said before that the LGBT community sometimes fights against being more inclusive. And that strikes as odd; a group of people who have been discriminated against for so long, discriminating against their own?
    Understand that we are all not alike, but we all have struggles and identities and a wish to be accepted simply as we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I've said it before: the call is coming from inside the house. That reticence of people to recognize that because THEY don't feel oppressed there's no oppression is the dumbest position I've seen. Self-destructive, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I like what the young two-spirit man said in the IKEA commercial -- "My existence is the resistance." That's absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that.
      I feel that Native Americans (as in the continent) have gained a little bit more visibility lately. About fucking time.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Pansexual v Bisexual really is a matter of semantics. The difference appears to be rhetoric. What happened to Androgynous? That's become Agender and Pangender - another example of semantics and rhetoric. If that is not the case, then it needs to be further clarified --- for me, anyway. I believe I am Bisexual - though a test I once took called me Polyamorous. Aha, so there are yet more terms.
    No wonder the evilgelicals, and people outside (and, as you point out) and inside the community are confused and pushing back against all the new terminology. 😎
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Bisexuals stick to the binary. Pansexuals do not, and I see a difference there. Pansexuals love regardless of gender expression or gender identity. Agender would not be the same as Androgynous, according to my interpretation, either. And this is very schematic and simple, just as information.
      And I think it's just a matter or learning. I have learned a lot in what concerns Asexuality. It's been eye opening.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the knowledge, Sixpence. Always appreciate it especially since I have two kiddos that will be teenagers soon and there will be so many new things for me to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Mr. Shife!
      And what you say is very true: people with children do need to be prepared for the questions that are coming as soon as tweens become teens. High school is a minefield for parents, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this post. I'm glad you are going to keep Pride going!! Yass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be easy to dismiss all this as splitting hairs... but it is important. And it's important to remain informed. Sensitivity is a constant learning process. People should be allowed to define themselves as they need to. Why anyone would be upset about this or take umbrage? Beyond my comprehension. That said, I do understand feeling put against a wall when being nailed there due to some assumption we carelessly make. When it comes to drag performers - I never know what to use... males performing female drag... her? Always her? Or do we use him when they are out of drag? But if they only go by their drag name, even when presenting as a male... are they her? Or him? And we could ask, but again... that seems rather formal... do we have to ask everyone how would you like to be addressed? So all assumptions are off? Seems complicated. And it is. Sexual/gender identity is complex, obviously. Look at all the terms. And merely longing for simplicity isn't the answer. I guess we have to dig in. Sigh. No wonder people are self isolating more and more. Dealing with others? It's so much work. :) Thanks for doing the good work, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what many people in the community think: 'splitting hairs' is a great way to put it. And that's why we ask people what pronouns they want us to use: I know of people who go by 'her' in drag and 'him' out of drag. I've asked. Same goes with people who do not seem to fit the binary. We ask. In my work email I have my name and (He, Him, His). It's very simple.
      I think the people to refuse to engage in the dialogue will eventually have to face the music. This generation (and I men beyond Gen Z) will ask them to do it.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.